The Student Room Group

TOK and English

Hi all!

I am second year of IB and we need now to write self-evaluation reports from TOK about our presentation.I've got 7 from presentation and I was wonderning do I have to write good self-evaluation report or just to write "something"?Does SEF affect on our 20 points which we are supposed to do for presentation?:cool:

Another question is actually about English oral presentaton.We need to find a topics,but whatever I suggest to my teacher he says it is not ok.I want to write about English football,for example Man U since I am their fan,but I cannot find a proper topic:frown: :confused: .Can u maybe suggest me something?

Thank you in advance!
the Self Eva Report (SER) is sometimes sent away to the IBO for moderation of your TOK presentation so write a good one just in case. I asked my teacher about this last year as well. it really isn't hard to write a good SER. you just describe briefly your presentation (summarise the pts), state the strengths and weaknesses of the presetation and suggest an improvement should you do it again (hate this part of it but it's always present in an evaluation)

wait are you talking about english B or A1? it sounds like you're talking about the Eng B presentation. technically you could do the oral on anything, even ManU if you want. the point is to demonstrate your ability to talk and converse in the language. well, really the topic should have some aspect of relfecting on the culture of the language you're studying, but football is a huge part of english culture anyway so i dont really see why you can't do it. however, did you teacher say why it's not ok?
Reply 2
Hmm...ok.I will write good SER:smile: ....

And about presentation,yes I thought about English B HL,sorry for not mentioning.Well,teacher said that topic need to be precise and have to affect English culture in the name of the topic although Man U is from England.Firstly I thought to take topic for ex."History of Man U" or "Finance future od Man U" but he sad that this is not ok.:mad: and that these kind of topics are not connected with England and that there is no space for any kind of discussion.He also said that topic need to be in a sense of question,because of two questions which teacher need to ask in the end of presentation.:confused: .So,if you have any suggestions I will be very thankfull?!
huh?? why does it have to be a question? the teacher just ask random stuff at the end, the question part is not that long.
you could do ManU's impact on english culture or how football influences english life or something like that. I mean, honestly, I chose the most random topic for my french oral, I basically narrated the causes of the French Revolution. I have no idea why I chose the topic in the frist place. but I did end up with a 6 for my oral (SL though).
Reply 4
I did english B too......well i also wanted to do a kind of a narrative topic but yeah well it seems like they do not want you to do that....the topic has to be something provocative that you need to have an opinion about, so that afterwards the teacher can ask you question and you actually have to present your argument....yeah i know it's kinda retarded coz it's only English B...well anyways that's how it is:smile:
Reply 5
Yes...you are absolutely right.I wanted narrative topic,only to speak for ex.about history or finance but it's not allowed in oral for English B HL I suppose.Now I am with trouble with chosing my topic which will be quite easy although my English is ok.Also,I want to try not to get difficult questions in the end of presentation since they can affect my grade a lot in case of confusion or something.
Honzan,since you have some kind of experience,can u maybe suggest me topic about English football,Man U or anything which is connected with football?What is will be provocative topic for IBO?:confused: .25% is not small percentage of grade and I want to do it properly.

Also,anywhone else already done English B?People I am accepting any kind of suggestion:smile:

THANK YOU.
Reply 6
Anywhone???:frown: :s-smilie: :rolleyes:
Reply 7
One of my friends at school, choose to look at racism in football for language B (French) and this worked well for him! Only he looked at French teams, as the topic has to be related to the country appropriate to the language. So in this case, you would choose to discuss english players and how racism has slowly been filtered out of the sport of football (or perhaps you could argue it has not?). Perhaps you could choose to do something on the proportion of English to foreign players in teams? Alternatively, you could discuss the effect of player's high salaries and their attitude towards these/

I don't know, these are just a few ideas! :biggrin:

However, one thing to remember is that controversial topics such as these can usually serve as the best for the purpose of debate etc.

Hopefully this is useful to you!

Latest

Trending

Trending