The Student Room Group

Uni (Psych Course) with TOK Mindset?

Context: My selected programme is Psych (BSc); international student.

Although I'm not in IB, I've been frequently called a natural 'TOK' person, as I enjoy questioning many things. Thus I'd prefer to be in an environment where this mindset is appreciated; and I get to befriend similar individuals.

So far I've got offers from
-Lancaster
-York
-Loughborough, and
-Sussex.

Which one do you reckon is most compatible with me? Sorry if this mindset seems limiting, but how would you judge from the atmosphere/social climate of the uni overall/course in the uni (esp. if you're a student there)? Thank you and have a nice day. Appreciate your help.
Original post by bonniepy
Although I'm not in IB, I've been frequently called a natural 'TOK' person, as I enjoy questioning many things. Thus I'd prefer to be in an environment where this mindset is appreciated; and I get to befriend similar individuals.
-Lancaster
-York
-Loughborough, and
-Sussex.
Which one do you reckon is most compatible with me? Sorry if this mindset seems limiting, but how would you judge from the atmosphere/social climate of the uni overall/course in the uni (esp. if you're a student there)? Thank you and have a nice day. Appreciate your help.
Well the first important thing about psychology involves critically anaylsing any data you receive or hear, and never accepting things on word alone. I cant find any data, research or evidence to suggests (as far as my brief online research suggests) of a unique or special TOK Mindset. The skills and frameworks it purports to be special or unique are generally part of any degree course, as the purpose of higher education is to be comfortably critical of teaching, spotting gaps in knowledge, questioning more and be open to criticism also. I have yet to go to any decent university that does not have this as part of the curriculum or amongst students. While TOK is a useful framework of developing key skills there is no validited or reliable evidence that it is a particular personality type, so i would not get too caught up on identifying with this term.

Regarding the university you choose, you need to choose the best uni for you, such as location, modules/course scope, the economics of course/living etc, whether you need it to be BPS accredited also. These are more important factors, as every course should utilise the principles of TOK, especially within the field of psychology as it is a very rapidly evolving science.

Greg
-Lancaster
-York
-Loughborough, and
-Sussex.
Hi @bonniepy

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I study Psychology at Loughborough so can give you some insight.

The rankings for Psychology at Loughborough are high. I personally really enjoy the course here as you have the opportunity to learn many aspects of Psychology through many different modules. If you haven't already I would recommend taking a look at 'What you'll Study' on the course page to see the range of modules you will study. You can also choose some optional modules, so you can tailor the course to be what you want. I found it useful to compare these modules with other Universities to see which suited me best. If you are considering doing a placement/year abroad Loughborough is great as they offer so much support in searching and securing a placement/year abroad. I found this particularly helpful.

Regarding the environment I feel there are many students who like to ask questions during lectures where the lecturers are happy to explain further and answer questions. There is also the opportunity to ask lots of questions in seminars and tutorials as these are smaller groups of students. You tend to work alongside your peers which I find a great way to deeper my understanding or ask questions to the supervisor.

I hope this helps and gives you some insight. It is hard to say what would definitely suit you but I like the fact you can feel comfortable to ask questions and lecturers are responsive to that. If you have any other questions please do ask :smile:

Alex
-Lancaster
-York
-Loughborough, and
-Sussex.

Hello, first of all congratulations on your offers! I study a psychology BSc (currently in my second year) at Lancaster University and so far I have found it to be a really welcoming and positive environment. There are a lot of opportunities for those who make the effort to seek them out and there is a lot of opportunity to ask questions in seminars, workshops, or online. All the lecturers whom I have interacted with personally always seem to be very enthusiastic towards people who ask questions that expand on just the curriculum content. I've also found it quite easy to find other people who are passionate about learning and discovering more about their chosen area!
Good luck with wherever you choose!
-Kat (2nd year undergraduate psychology student at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest