The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 5: Physics from Creation to Collapse 6PH05 (18th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wannabe007
What about the Hodder Education one?

I don't have that one but the hodder education website is pretty good if you have access to that
Original post by cerlohee
Yeah it's rubbish haha

lol We litrally read that book every physics lesson
Reply 42
Original post by Usama alsiyabi
lol We litrally read that book every physics lesson

Yeah we do too. Which is why I stopped going to school haha
Do you like it?
Do you like it?

Its the worst though ive gotta say it has some information for the last chapter but its certainly better than the AS book (i dont know if it deserves being called a book tbh :unimpressed)
Do you like it?

Its the worst though ive gotta say it has some information for the last chapter but its certainly better than the AS book (i dont know if it deserves being called a book tbh :unimpressed: )
Original post by aersh8
My teacher said it's hopeless, so he didn't even give it to us even though he had a stack of brand new ones :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you. Its more like a library book than a text book. Anyway what book do you use then and do you have any tips ??
Reply 46
Original post by hasan6091
I agree with you. Its more like a library book than a text book. Anyway what book do you use then and do you have any tips ??

I just use the revision guide as it seems to cover everything that comes up in papers, and I guess you should always try to link the question with something directly from the syllabus. My teacher gave us the Hodder textbooks although they are also really wordy and have some irrelevant information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone has a pdf link to the revision guide? Would be immensely helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Anyone know how to get the summer 2013 exam papers without the watermark when you print it off?
Original post by jay_em
Anyone know how to get the summer 2013 exam papers without the watermark when you print it off?

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-physics-papers/edexcel-unit-5/

I'm not sure where the watermark would be but I can't see it in there.
Original post by jay_em

Use freeexampapers.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey peeps. what do we need to know about life cycle of stars?
Reply 52
Original post by Freddy-Francis

How they're formed, what the main sequence is and conditions needed, the fate of small, large and massive stars :smile:
Reply 53
How they're formed, what the main sequence is and conditions needed, the fate of small, large and massive stars :smile:

Could you please go over those? :smile: my teacher's notes have some obviously irrelevant things and the revision guide seems too brief so I'm not sure what exactly is needed.

How was chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by aersh8
Could you please go over those? :smile: my teacher's notes have some obviously irrelevant things and the revision guide seems too brief so I'm not sure what exactly is needed.

How was chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do after this exam! I haven't had it yet! How'd you find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Will do after this exam! I haven't had it yet! How'd you find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha ok, thanks! The multiple choice was horrible, the structured questions were pretty straightforward - I didn't have time to check though, so probably made a lot of careless mistakes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Freddy-Francis

For a small mass star:

A protostar ( which mainly consists of hydrogen dust) grows into a sun-like star due to the gravitational forces of attraction of the dust particles and hydrogen. Hydrogen fusion takes place (with sufficient temperature and pressure ofcourse) to form helium which results in a radiation pressure that balances the gravitational pressure that tries to cause the star to collapse in on itself. This is known as hydrostatic equilibrium a star in this phase is known to be at the main sequence phase.
Once the star exhausts most of its hydrogen atoms it will start to expand (into a red giant) and cool, helium fusion takes place which keeps the star alive.
When helium fuel runs out it collapses on itself (this is where gravitational pressure inwards wins) this will form a planetary nebula which later becomes a white dwarf.

For a massive star:

The same process occurs but the star starts off with a bigger protostar and the rate at which hydrogen atoms are fused together is higher than that in low mass stars as a result, massive stars are shorter lived. Massive stars are also capable of fusing elements beyond helium. The protostar forms a blue supergiant (very hot), hydrostatic equilibrium is established at a faster rate after the star leaves the main sequence phase. after the rd giant phase it will collapse to form a type 2 supernova (due to greater mass and so large energy is released) the supernova explosion may result in either a neutron star (dense star of neutrons) or a black hole.
Guys will we be examined on the different astronomical units? Light years, parsecs etc?
Reply 58
Original post by X3X4fr
Oh I see. I was worried because I've seen a few waves questions here and there. I don't think they'll go too much into depth though, right?

Do we have to know anything about standing waves?
Do we need to know uses of radioactive materials - carbon dating, smoke alarms, medical physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending