The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Best club/bar in Durham?

Poll

Best club/bar

Ok based on cheapness and best night outs. Get voting.

Another thign anyone got tips on cheap pre-night booze combos
(im spending 60 quid + on 2-3 nights out a week) :frown:

I dont like beer, or cider, or wine or cherry V'ks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jimmy's! Because you can actually sit down and have a chat, and it's nice outside in summer. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've only been to Studio, Walkabout and Klute...hated Studio the one time I went (R&B night yuk), Klute is alrightish especially since the refurb but Walkabout is great - spacey enough to dance and relax and I love the stairs lol. Can't remember how cheap it is but I remember paying £3.50 or something like that for an alcopop in Studio and was disgusted with myself.
Nowhere in Durham is good, but Jimmy A's seems to be the best of a bad lot, although it'd be a lot better if they turned down the music so that you can chat without yelling. Outside is nice, but not when it's 276K outside.
Reply 4
Becca
Jimmy's! Because you can actually sit down and have a chat, and it's nice outside in summer. :smile:

You're kidding?!??!?!?!!

Last time I went into there it was absolutely crammed, the volume turned up high, and people all shouting!!!! It was mayhem, me and my mates walked in, down the stairs, around in a circle and back out!!! We went to Chase instead....far far better!!!

But I voted for Walkabout, even though I haven't been yet this year :eek: - but then I haven't sampled how amazing Loveshack is meant to be yet also.

Yes....I'm a 3rd year hermit :frown:
Mattmoy_2000
Nowhere in Durham is good, but Jimmy A's seems to be the best of a bad lot, although it'd be a lot better if they turned down the music so that you can chat without yelling. Outside is nice, but not when it's 276K outside.

lol.

On the subject. I would like Jimmy Allens except for the too loud music. Is it a club or is it a bar? They can't seem to make up their mind.

I don't really know of a bar in Durham that i really love, they all seem pretty good but with always one v.annoying flaw (as above)
Reply 6
As much as it pains me to say.. Klute!!! Definately spend the best night of the week there! Post-formal and the Undie so we're all pretty much gone really! Don't really know about drink prices, though the specials are usually quite cheap. Jellybaby at Loveshack's also really good and not too pricey x
Anywhere that sells doubles for less than singles has got to be the worst place in Europe.
Reply 8
dobbs
You're kidding?!??!?!?!!

Last time I went into there it was absolutely crammed, the volume turned up high, and people all shouting!!!! It was mayhem, me and my mates walked in, down the stairs, around in a circle and back out!!! We went to Chase instead....far far better!!!

But I voted for Walkabout, even though I haven't been yet this year :eek: - but then I haven't sampled how amazing Loveshack is meant to be yet also.

Yes....I'm a 3rd year hermit :frown:

At least Jimmy's has character though, it's got an awesome location, under Elvet Bridge!! It's really cool inside and a good place to go if you want to exted drinking time past the bar but don't want to go 'out' out. Walkabout is rubbish.
Reply 9
Klute is NOT the worst club in Europe. I find it rather annoying that people think it deserves such a title. It is mediocre, at worst. In Wimborne there is a place called TJs. You can only imagine.
Klute is NOT the worst club in Europe. I find it rather annoying that people think it deserves such a title. It is mediocre, at worst. In Wimborne there is a place called TJs. You can only imagine.

Klute IS the worst club in europe.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Durham_(England)#Drink
It was voted the second worst in a 1997 FHM poll. The titleholder was a club in Belgrade which subsequently burnt down, making Klute the de facto "winner".
So there.
Admittedly, the £100,000 refurb has improved it (marginally), in that there are club-style lights rather than a single ultraviolet fluorescent tube and the walls I believe have been painted too (to cover over 40 years worth of sweat stains I'd imagine). The toilets have been refitted and the graffiti painted over. This reduces it to merely "an awful, awful place". Loveshack is a mediocre club, Fabric (in London) is a good club.
Quotes about Klute:
"Off the top of my head I can think of 10 places I'd rather be than here [Klute]. Nine of them are Circles of Hell." - Me
"I am never going to that place again" - J.Young
"Klute is ****, the music is worse than before" - DJ Fav commenting on this year's playlist.
"I have never been there and I never want to" - M.D. Colling (my college father).
"My [birth] parents met in Klute. This is something I would have been better off not knowing." - D.Simpson, local lad at UCL.

I may have paraphrased some of these, but as you'll see, they all convey the same sentiment of loathing. The only praise of Klute I've ever heard has either been from drunk people, or from people in a quasi-ironic "I love it" way.
Reply 11
Becca
At least Jimmy's has character though, it's got an awesome location, under Elvet Bridge!! It's really cool inside and a good place to go if you want to exted drinking time past the bar but don't want to go 'out' out. Walkabout is rubbish.

I couldn't care less if it has "character". Anywhere that you can't move, see, or hear anything gets a 0 on my scoreboard :rolleyes:

Maybe it's better when less busy...I'm not sure....but then I don't like it for their STUPID drinks promotions (I hate drinks promotions places!!)...pricing out college bars to get people as pissed as possible as quick as possible...STUPID :mad:

Anywho....and Walkabout rocks the socks!! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Mattmoy_2000
Klute IS the worst club in europe.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Durham_(England)#Drink
It was voted the second worst in a 1997 FHM poll. The titleholder was a club in Belgrade which subsequently burnt down, making Klute the de facto "winner".
So there.
Admittedly, the £100,000 refurb has improved it (marginally), in that there are club-style lights rather than a single ultraviolet fluorescent tube and the walls I believe have been painted too (to cover over 40 years worth of sweat stains I'd imagine). The toilets have been refitted and the graffiti painted over. This reduces it to merely "an awful, awful place". Loveshack is a mediocre club, Fabric (in London) is a good club.
Quotes about Klute:
"Off the top of my head I can think of 10 places I'd rather be than here [Klute]. Nine of them are Circles of Hell." - Me
"I am never going to that place again" - J.Young
"Klute is ****, the music is worse than before" - DJ Fav commenting on this year's playlist.
"I have never been there and I never want to" - M.D. Colling (my college father).
"My [birth] parents met in Klute. This is something I would have been better off not knowing." - D.Simpson, local lad at UCL.

I may have paraphrased some of these, but as you'll see, they all convey the same sentiment of loathing. The only praise of Klute I've ever heard has either been from drunk people, or from people in a quasi-ironic "I love it" way.

I know that Klute is officially the worst club in Europe, but that's only because the people who voted in that poll or judged it or whatever had clearly not been to any of the clubs near where I live. I actually think Love Shack is really good, which might give you an idea of the standard that I am used to at home.
Reply 13
"My [birth] parents met in Klute. This is something I would have been better off not knowing."

Considering those statistics about how many people from Durham get married, I wonder for how many people that's true...
Reply 14
Nowhere in Durham is the best. Nowhere. At all.

Loveshack, though.
Becca

It's the former prison that's why it has atmosphere!

Since I've not yet to be Loveshack I'd say in honesty that I would not vote for any of the others!

I'd rather go to the pub.:smile:
Thanks for the anonymous negative rep, whoever disagreed with my non-offensively put opinion on Durham nightlife.
On a lighter note, a friend and I wangled our way into Klute VIP lounge last night and it's really nice. If only the rest of the club was like it.
Reply 17
Mattmoy_2000
Thanks for the anonymous negative rep, whoever disagreed with my non-offensively put opinion on Durham nightlife.
On a lighter note, a friend and I wangled our way into Klute VIP lounge last night and it's really nice. If only the rest of the club was like it.

Wasn't me! Where on earth IS the VIP lounge?
Underground, hidden from the sight of proles like you and me.
Reply 19
Walkabout is so nasty. Always full of pervy locals and dirty old men... Its too expensive most nights, and unless its freshers week, its just dead in terms of the student population. NOT A FAN!!

Oodio for me. But only on a Tuesday.

Latest