The Student Room Group

QTS Skills Test 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi congratulations on passing, both your tests. I have my numeracy test next week and I am so nervous, as it is my last attempt. Failed 1st test by 2 marks and the 2nd test by 1 mark so gutted . Can you please explain the converting currency to proportion question if you can. Many Thanks and Congratulations once again.
Hey! I just did mine yesterday and it was absolutely ridiculous, because all the things that I revised from the books I purchased weren't asked in the real test at all. I was completely mind boggled and nerves got the better of me and, unfortunately, I didn't pass the test. It was my first attempt. My advice would be to revise as much as you can and as frequently as you can and don't rely too much on the QTS books.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by funkygloss
divide fractions? yeah i think they just put in unfamiliar questions. not sure yet as im hesistant to try it. have you rebooked your test yet?

yeah, end of june, make or break really. i've heard with each attempt the tests get easier? Any truth to this? I'm tempted to get numeracy ready rather spend £20 than wait 2 years lol
Hey there! I'm thinking about investing in maths ready too! I hope it works out well for both of us! Good luck!
Hi guys! For those of you who have already taken the test was it more similar to the numeracy ready practice tests or the actual skills tests on direct gov website? Also are you able to bring in rulers to help with reading graphs?
Argh.... just failed my 2nd attempt at the literacy skills test... i so suck!

Doesn't help that was doing 19 GCSE exams too this month, but excuses!

Does any know where i can get extra support like support sessions / lessons in Liverpool?

Thanks
hi!

Have you passed the numeracy test? Would you say it is more like the numeracy ready practice tests or the tests on the department for education website? Also do you know if you are able to bring a ruler in with you to help with the graphs?
Original post by Beccaa90
hi!

Have you passed the numeracy test? Would you say it is more like the numeracy ready practice tests or the tests on the department for education website? Also do you know if you are able to bring a ruler in with you to help with the graphs?

Yeah i have passed the numeracy test and it was rather easy to be honest. Ive not done the numeracy ready ones so i can't compare - but what helped me was youtube videos! They show you tricks with the numbers and making them more manageable... basically remove 0's and half the numbers etc and for percentages do like 10% and then 1% etc and double etc for the amount needed.

You are not allow to take anything in there with you. You're given some paper and a pen and that's it! I used the paper as a ruler haha!
Reply 108
Congratulation's you passed the numeracy. Can you remember what type of questions you had in section 2 calculator paper. If so would you be able to share please. I failed by 1 mark so gutted!!!

Thanks
Original post by knickersx3
Okay - I have my numeracy test in two weeks and I SUCK at maths, any pointers?! Done nearly every online practice test, bought Mark Patmore's book AND numeracyready and I'm still struggling! Is there anything on this years numeracy test that you thought should definitely be revised? Any help would be fab!!

Cheers :smile:

Hi

How did you get on with your test? Did you find numeracy ready more relevant to the questions or the actual practice ones? Ive got my next week and have been doing better with the numeracy ready trsts but finding the tests on the .gov harder eeeek :/
I've got mine next week, too. Fair to say I'm sh*ting myself...
Original post by rosie.manning
Hi Layla,

I passed mine today! The first ever practice test I did I was getting 18%. By the time it came to the test I was getting 75%.

I would say the things that helped me the most were:
- Knowing my times tables
- Learning methods for quick division/multiplication
- Learning how to read different charts and graphs
- Knowing what mode/median/range means
- Completing practice tests

I bought two books which I found helpful, although this may be too late for you. However, I bought a subscription to Numeracy Ready which provides 20 practice papers plus assistance with things you don't understand. I have 6 papers left which can be used on my account which are of no wish to me. You are more than welcome have my account details if you wish. Just let me know.

Good luck with your revision, you will be fine!

Rosie :smile:

Hello Rosie,

I was wondering if you still have available any of your six papers? Do the Numeracy ready test covers mental and arithmetic areas?

Thanks in dvance
:smile:
Original post by Claire062
I've got mine next week, too. Fair to say I'm sh*ting myself...

good luck claire, i hope they go well. just remember to keep calm
Reply 113
I felt the same way... as in the exam was completely different to the practice test? particularly the graphs??? passed but still wondering how??????? keep going I think all you need is working on it and a bit of luck????? hopefully 3rd time lucky....
divide fractions? yeah i think they just put in unfamiliar questions. not sure yet as im hesistant to try it. have you rebooked your test yet?

yeah, ive bought numeracy ready, few more practice papers, ive only got 1 attempt left
Original post by sickaaron
Argh.... just failed my 2nd attempt at the literacy skills test... i so suck!

Doesn't help that was doing 19 GCSE exams too this month, but excuses!

Does any know where i can get extra support like support sessions / lessons in Liverpool?

Thanks

why are you doing 19 exams for? you don't need skills tests for entry to alevels?
good luck claire, i hope they go well. just remember to keep calm

Thank you :biggrin: I think they went well, fingers crossed!
I passed both my Literacy and Numeracy first time today. I'd say both were very similar to the online DfE practice ones, Numeracy maybe a little easier in the real thing whilst Literacy was a slightly harder.

Numeracy: quite a lot of questions on percentages and proportions. A few questions about a bar chart and then just one question each on a pie chart and a bar & whisker. The mental arithmetic section was the bit I was most worried about but found that relatively easy, the practice tests were a good indicator of the sort of things to expect.

Literacy: the spellings that I can remember were successfully, stringent, governmental, environmentally (pretty easy ones really compared to practice tests). However I thought the punctuation and grammar sections were more difficult that what I'd practiced so make sure you have a fairly good grasp of those. And comprehension, again similar to the practice tests.

My main advice would be just to make sure you look at the DfE online practice tests, which I'm sure you all do anyway, as I think they were really helpful. Obviously there are going to be some questions you encounter that you haven't practiced for but with a bit of reasoning/common sense I don't think there's anything incredibly demanding. The big thing is just not letting the pressure get to you. Good luck!
Hi all. i will share my experience. Yesterday i successfully passed my numeracy test. A lot of blood and sweat went into this considering i also have two little ones aged 2 1/2 years and a 10 month old baby. I passed my literacy 1st time with no revision as this is my strength. However i miserably failed my numeracy at 1st attempt by 5 marks. I was completely and utterly gutted!!!

I have always struggled with maths (and when i mean struggle i seriously mean that). I didn't know place value, any of my times tables, clueless about fractions etc. In fact when i looked at the gov online practice questions, i could not even understand the question let alone attempt to achieve the correct answer.

I soon decided that i would need tuition just to get the basics of maths up to scratch. This took me approximately 6 weeks (1 hour lesson a week). I then practiced my arithmetic with my husband for 4 nights consecutively which was brilliant as he is great at maths. i did not spend enough time revising for the second section which was not a good move as i think this is why i failed my 1st attempt.

So failing this i then purchased numeracy ready, completed around 10 tests on this sight. My arithmetic was up to scratch and most importantly i was impressively good at the written section. I thought, had i done this earlier i definitely would have passed my 1st test because some of the question which had come up i had covered in my revision.

so anyway, i now take my second test and huraaaa i pass. I have absolute no idea how i passed this as none of what came up in the exam was not covered in my revision (please note i worked blood and sweat and did at least 10 tests). the 2nd test was by far harder than the first and also harder than the practice online tests.

I guess what i am trying to say is that although nothing came up of what i revised, i still held good basic maths knowledge from all the revision i did. I implemented methods and it clearly worked. If i can pass, my goodness anyone can. thats how poor my maths was. I am also dyslexic. All that i urge is for everyone to give yourselves a fair chance and do it properly, REVISE !!! Stay positive and you can do it. :smile:

I feel for anyone out there who really struggles with maths. Its a daunting experience indeed. Positivity is key.

regards
Im exactly the same as you, my maths is shocking and have always struggled with it :frown: i've been having a tutor for the past 3 months and been working on practice test most nights (i've dcompleted all 20 of the numeracy ready ones) Im also having sessions with a maths teacher at my old school but I failed my first one by 4 marks. Its so draining but im trying to stay positive and going to try the DfE tests again as I felt the actual test was more relevant to these tests rather than numeracy ready. Arrgghh its so fustrating when this maths test is in the way of my career and I'm trying so hard!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending