The Student Room Group

QTS Skills Test 2015

Haven't seen a recent thread for the QTS Skills test. Anyone passed the numeracy one? I have mine in a week!! :frown::frown::frown: Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Layla_G
Haven't seen a recent thread for the QTS Skills test. Anyone passed the numeracy one? I have mine in a week!! :frown::frown::frown: Any tips?

Hii :smile:

I passed mine 3 weeks ago.
The online practice tests are MUCH harder than the actual tests. As long as you practice mental maths questions, and converting between decimals/fractions/percentages, graphs, pie charts, box & whisker plots etc... you'll be fine.

Try the QTS practice videos on youtube for the mental maths questions as that'll help you.

I'm sure you'll be ok, I thought I would fail and I was soooo nervous but I passed after practicing loads.

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Layla_G

Hey Layla,

I haven't passed mine yet, although I have mine booked for the end of April. The thought of the numeracy skills test terrified me at first as my maths is absolutely horrendous.

I completed a couple of the practice tests that are on the gov website and was only getting 35% as a maximum on the test overall (this was a week ago).

I bought the book 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Mark Patmore, which has really helped me develop my maths skills.

Also I found this website really useful: www.passtheqtsskillstests.co.uk

If you're anything like me it is the mental maths that is the struggle. However, by just practicing an hour a day I am now achieving the pass mark in the papers.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!!:biggrin:
Reply 3
anyone got Literacy tips? I've passed my numeracy just do practice tests and make sure you are familiar with fractions and converting that into percentages. on the arithmetic section double check on the calculator to make sure you havent made any silly typing errors.
If you find a question really difficult 'flag' it and do the ones you can definitely do and then you can spend what ever time you have left on the ones you found difficult.
I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
I took my skills tests and passed both first time! Just revise and practice them online! The numeracy test is very similar to the ones online, and they give you pen and paper to write down any workings out.
Good luck!
Original post by Grace_G97
I took my skills tests and passed both first time! Just revise and practice them online! The numeracy test is very similar to the ones online, and they give you pen and paper to write down any workings out.
Good luck!

Well done! Funny though as some people as saying the actual test is very different to the online ones, which is making me panic!

Can you remember any mental maths tests or what they involved?

Thanks ;-)
Reply 6
Original post by missie_2004
Well done! Funny though as some people as saying the actual test is very different to the online ones, which is making me panic!

Can you remember any mental maths tests or what they involved?

Thanks ;-)

I was struggling with the maths so much with the practice tests and had to skip loads of questions, but the actual tests weren't too bad.
The mental maths isn't as complicated as the practice tests either, I think you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by MissJGB
I was struggling with the maths so much with the practice tests and had to skip loads of questions, but the actual tests weren't too bad.
The mental maths isn't as complicated as the practice tests either, I think you'll be fine! :smile:

You've made me feel much better!

I am pretty good at maths but am stressing! I am getting over the pass mark on the on screen tests. Think I will buy numeracy ready to boost my confidences ;-_
Reply 8
I bought the Passing the Numeracy Skills Test book by Mark Patmore. It really helped me and prepared me really well.
The mental maths section on the test is exactly like the section in this book. The questions were much harder on the online practice tests and unrealistic.

Also, I got my book on eBay and was cheaper than on Amazon :smile:
Original post by MissJGB
I bought the Passing the Numeracy Skills Test book by Mark Patmore. It really helped me and prepared me really well.
The mental maths section on the test is exactly like the section in this book. The questions were much harder on the online practice tests and unrealistic.

Also, I got my book on eBay and was cheaper than on Amazon :smile:

Oh cool I have completed the whole book so maybe I am just over thinking it!

Thanks for the help.
I passed my Numeracy Skills Test 2 weeks ago first time.

Stay calm.

The Mental Arithmetic section I found pretty easy. They give you the important information on the screen when the question is being said.

The second part I did find a little tricky. Some guess work here and there.

Some graphs I never have seen in my life! Even in the QTS book I didn't see some of them.

But, passed!

Good luck! Stay calm!

Original post by Layla_G
Okay - I have my numeracy test in two weeks and I SUCK at maths, any pointers?! Done nearly every online practice test, bought Mark Patmore's book AND numeracyready and I'm still struggling! Is there anything on this years numeracy test that you thought should definitely be revised? Any help would be fab!!

Cheers :smile:
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what spellings came up in the test. Or, if anyone can point me into the right direction (send a link) to where I might find them on this website.

I have my numeracy one on Thursday and I have practised intensely for this one. However, I was super confident for my Literacy test and failed by 4 points. Gutted.

Any tips on the spelling and punctuation? They are my weaker points.

Sally.

(P.S, where is everyone going to university this year? I have just chosen York St John as my firm.)
I've just passed my numeracy test today so I have a fresh memory of what it included. I have to say that you definitely need to go over the techniques, such as conversions, time, money, fractions, decimals and percentages (make sure you can convert fractions into decimals etc) and patch up on your times tables, too. Start working out the sum while it reads out the question for the second time, it'll make things less rushed. The test itself is actually easier than the practice tests, not by a lot, but some of the questions were easier than you'd expect. As for the written questions, REMEMBER YOU CAN USE THE CALCULATOR!!! I heard someone today come out of the test and didn't realise there was an on screen calculator for the written part. The calculator is time consuming but it's accurate and I used it on pretty much all the written questions. All the tests I've done contained Box and Whisker diagrams; make sure you know what each bit means on the diagram.

As for the literacy test, it was a few weeks ago but I passed that. Spellings will test you on basic spelling rules such as i before e except after c etc. It'll ask you to spell words like commemorative, knowledgeable, meticulous, incoherent and unnecessary. If you don't know how to spell it, listen to how it sounds and spell it that way, 9 times out of 10 you'll be correct. The grammar section is one of the easiest I think, you just have to make the sentences make sense or put the correct punctuation in. I can't remember the reading comprehension to be exact, just make sure you read questions and your answers because sometimes they throw similar ones in there to catch you out.

Hope this helps, make sure you practice for about 2 weeks before, just an hour a night and you'll ace them.

Good luck!
What is the pass mark for the tests?
Original post by aaliya251
What is the pass mark for the tests?

63%
Hi all!
So I passed both my literacy and numeracy skills tests on Monday! Do you only find out that you passed or can you find out what percentage pass you got? Like does it come up on your account on the skills test site or do you not get to find out?
To all who have their test, I found that the practice for both were a lot harder than the actual tests, in particular the numeracy! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by Layla_G

How did you do?
Original post by PrimaryEdSally
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what spellings came up in the test. Or, if anyone can point me into the right direction (send a link) to where I might find them on this website.

I have my numeracy one on Thursday and I have practised intensely for this one. However, I was super confident for my Literacy test and failed by 4 points. Gutted.

Any tips on the spelling and punctuation? They are my weaker points.

Sally.

(P.S, where is everyone going to university this year? I have just chosen York St John as my firm.)

For literacy you can try this website:
http://www.steveslearning.com/

You need to sign up to see the resources, for spelling list check out list 11 there, basically a compilation of previous spellings. The 3 grammar, punctuation and comprehension supplements helped a lot too.
Reply 19
You only get a get a pass, they don't give you a percentage or mark unfortunately! Well Done! Bet you're glad they are sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending