The Student Room Group

gcse to a levels

do you think a very capable student at gcse with a A* in a subject can go on to get really low grades in the same subjects at a levels? about what grades would they realistically get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MasieA
do you think a very capable student at gcse with a A* in a subject can go on to get really low grades in the same subjects at a levels? about what grades would they realistically get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I know plenty of people who went from A*s at GCSE to very low grades at A-Level. It's very hard to say what grade someone will get as it depends on their work ethic etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends how hard you work for them, they're really not that hard if you work for them.
I know people who got A*s in GCSE's and then C's in A-Level, I also know people who got C's at GCSE and A's at A-Level.

So it just depends how hard you're willing to work.
Depends on the subjects. I hear the step up in difficulty in foreign languages can be quite hard to cope with for some.

However I think in most cases there wouldn't be a really drastic drop in grades unless something significant happened in their personal life or they just stopped putting the work in.

I doubt anybody would manage to drop from A* at GCSE to a D-E at A level without some serious bs goin' down.
Absolutely! The jump from GCSE to A levels can be in some subjects fairly large. You have to work harder, smarter and for longer hours than at GCSE, and be prepared to ask for help should you get stuck.

Grades depends on the person. I'd expect the lowest someone who got all A*s at GCSE would achieve would be around CCC/DDD

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, it's very possible
Especially if you treat A levels like GCSEs
Happens all the time. People who got 5A*s or more even have been getting mocks of CCCC or below.
Reply 7
This has happened to loads of people I know. The key is to put in time for each A-level as you would for 3-4 GCSEs. This is because you only do 3-5 A-levels while you did 9-12 GCSEs. Think of it like that and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest