The Student Room Group

Should I give up on trying for a MBBS?

Academic Progess:

GCSE:

[i moved schools a few months before my exams due to cyber bulling/police intervstion and not being able to cope mentally] :|

AB- Additional Science
B- Maths
C- English
Pass- ICT Vocational Certificate
D- Business Studies
E- Music

AS- [first time]

Maths- U
Biology- D
Chemistry- D
Psychology- D

AS- [due to be taken in June, 2015]

~Predictions~

Maths- A
Biology- B
Chemistry-A
Psychology- A

~~

i have/am reviving private mental care for the bullying I went through. I have not let my college know, as I'm terrified they'll look at me differently.

i want to become a Doctor so I can help others with my knowledge. But I think my acedmic progress will hinder my chances.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Sorry to hear about your situation, bud.

By all means tell your personal tutor/whoever is writing your reference and the medical schools to which you are applying. You have definitely had exceptional circumstances that have hindered your education and I assure you that medical schools will consider your application in the context of your background as long as your referee informs them of this.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours!
Original post by 9910224
Sorry to hear about your situation, bud.

By all means tell your personal tutor/whoever is writing your reference and the medical schools to which you are applying. You have definitely had exceptional circumstances that have hindered your education and I assure you that medical schools will consider your application in the context of your background as long as your referee informs them of this.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours!

Thank you.

But the problem I face is that not even my previous schools know the reason why I left.
So how would I know that it's extenuating circumstances?
Also, I feel scared to back to my old school and ask them for a letter.
Can I ask my current tutor to write me letter for extenuating circumstances?
Reply 3
Original post by BewareTomato
Thank you.

But the problem I face is that not even my previous schools know the reason why I left.
So how would I know that it's extenuating circumstances?
Also, I feel scared to back to my old school and ask them for a letter.
Can I ask my current tutor to write me letter for extenuating circumstances?

TBH, mate, I'm afraid my answers will be speculative at best. It would be useful to maybe contact the admissions office of medical schools, explain your situation and enquire whether yours would qualify as extenuating circumstances. Although I'm pretty sure they would agree that it is.

I know it's scary and weird, maybe even traumatic to go back, but if it means you'll be able to give in a strong application to medical school, it would be worth it, wouldn't it?

I should think your current tutor will be able to do that. When I was in college, they were the ones who did my academic reference and basically oversaw my application. They should be responsible for providing an explanation of your circumstances for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending