The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE MPA

Scroll to see replies

no panic about being considered or not -- even though people generally argue that the later your file is complete the lower the chances of getting admitted (this is because some students have already received/are about to receive their offers and therefore the "slots" available are decreasing on a weekly basis). If I were you I would push to get your LoRs earlier than the end of the month.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
What MPAApplicant said! Not that it should be a benchmark but I remember seeing that the programme was still open for applications in July last year.
Reply 22
Original post by MPAApplicant
no panic about being considered or not -- even though people generally argue that the later your file is complete the lower the chances of getting admitted (this is because some students have already received/are about to receive their offers and therefore the "slots" available are decreasing on a weekly basis). If I were you I would push to get your LoRs earlier than the end of the month.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I pestered my referees over the last two days and finally managed to submit the complete application just this morning. I really hope the program doesn't close before it is taken into consideration. Hope all goes well with your offer!
Reply 23
Original post by Andi.di
What MPAApplicant said! Not that it should be a benchmark but I remember seeing that the programme was still open for applications in July last year.

Thank you, Andi.di! I know it doesn't necessarily mean the programme won't close early this year, but it is very reassuring to hear that. I actually emailed the MPA department in a moment of panic the other day enquiring about the previous years' closing dates (too much, I know).
Reply 24
I got my offer today, four weeks after receiving my ID numer, and with serious GSS money. super happy!
Reply 25
Original post by Andi.di
I got my offer today, four weeks after receiving my ID numer, and with serious GSS money. super happy!

Congrats!!! Can you let us know your profile?
Reply 26
Original post by debi2
Congrats!!! Can you let us know your profile?

Thanks!! Sure, I have a BA and MA from Sciences Po (international student), my grades aren't amazing but I do have an equivalent of 2:1. I did a short stint at the EU after graduating and now have been working for 2 years for the President of my country. I think I had a strong personal statement (I worked on it reeeeallly hard) and one of my references is pretty badass as well.
Reply 27
Original post by Andi.di
Thanks!! Sure, I have a BA and MA from Sciences Po (international student), my grades aren't amazing but I do have an equivalent of 2:1. I did a short stint at the EU after graduating and now have been working for 2 years for the President of my country. I think I had a strong personal statement (I worked on it reeeeallly hard) and one of my references is pretty badass as well.

Congratulations Andi.di! Don't mean to sound too intrusive, but are you planning on taking it up? Also, since you mentioned doing Masters at Sci Po, do you know what their MPP programme is like? I know it's a great school because I was there for an exchange semester during my undergrad, but never really got to interact with the Masters students.
Reply 28
Hi Guys, I got an offer from LSE MPA for Fall 2017. Hoping to connect with other possible candidates, here.
Reply 29
Original post by RachanaG
Congratulations Andi.di! Don't mean to sound too intrusive, but are you planning on taking it up? Also, since you mentioned doing Masters at Sci Po, do you know what their MPP programme is like? I know it's a great school because I was there for an exchange semester during my undergrad, but never really got to interact with the Masters students.

Most probably. I am still waiting to hear from Oxford (MPP), but even if I do get an offer from them it will be a tough call. I really like the MPA programme. I never met anyone who did the MPP at scpo, so i can't really share any wisdom there, but i was always quite satisfied at Sciences Po, it's an amazing school. If it made any sense, I would go back there, to be honest :smile: I am doing another masters now because my first choice just ended up not being something I wanted to pursue a career in.
Reply 30
Original post by Andi.di
To be honest, I think it's definitely way too much money. But depending on what you want to do afterwards, maybe worth it. I graduated in 2013 and started seriously considering doing this programme more than a year ago, so I researched the I alumni and their career progression pretty thoroughly (call me a stalker). I have a pretty decent job right now, but with a really lousy pay check (civil servant in a poorer EU country). I want to go into private sector/consulting and I think the MPA would help a lot. I have an offer for MSc Public policy and management at KCL and have applied for the MPP at Oxford and while Oxford could definitely help me get my foot through the door, the MPA just ticks all the right boxes.
If I get in, I'm getting a fat bank loan and considering this a (very expensive) investment for the future that I'll be able to pay off with the fancy new job it's going to get me. Just my thoughts, but I'm also an all-in person.
So did you defer entry or reinstate your application? Mind sharing your profile?

I also applied MPP at BSG, Oxford. They say they won't release the results until March 17 th. Do they often have any interview before that? Have you ever heard from them?
Reply 31
Original post by RachanaG
Hi all,

I am just about to submit my MPA application but I haven't received my letters of recommendation yet. They might come in towards the end of the month. Since I read that some of you have been through this process already last year, I was hoping you could tell me if the rolling admissions close by the end of February (that's what I read on another forum). Should I be panicking yet?

Thank you and good luck with your applications and offers :smile:

Rachana

I have the similar situation like you. They need another academic reference, so I have to resubmit two weeks ago. But the timeline shows that MPA program was already closed for new applicants. Does that have any influence on our application?
Reply 32
Original post by Dora_lu
I also applied MPP at BSG, Oxford. They say they won't release the results until March 17 th. Do they often have any interview before that? Have you ever heard from them?

Hi! From what I gather, only some of the applicants will be invited for an interview, in case the assesors need more information, but it doesn't mean it's good nor bad if you have/haven't been invited. I only received that first email so far!
Reply 33
Original post by Andi.di
Hi! From what I gather, only some of the applicants will be invited for an interview, in case the assesors need more information, but it doesn't mean it's good nor bad if you have/haven't been invited. I only received that first email so far!

Thk you for your quite response. The same as you, and received a questionnaire. Keep in touch and with best wishes!
Original post by Andi.di
Most probably. I am still waiting to hear from Oxford (MPP), but even if I do get an offer from them it will be a tough call. I really like the MPA programme. I never met anyone who did the MPP at scpo, so i can't really share any wisdom there, but i was always quite satisfied at Sciences Po, it's an amazing school. If it made any sense, I would go back there, to be honest :smile: I am doing another masters now because my first choice just ended up not being something I wanted to pursue a career in.

Sciences PO has many great masters, but the MPP is definitely not their stronger program. It is not structed to be a program for professionals and it has similar curriculum to some of the programs developed for people that come straight from undergrad. The average age, work experience and projected salary is lower at Sciences PO vs LSE. When it comes to MPP/MPA choosing LSE over Sciences PO is a no brainer. However, deciding between LSE and Oxford would definitely be challenging.
Reply 35
Sciences PO has many great masters, but the MPP is definitely not their stronger program. It is not structed to be a program for professionals and it has similar curriculum to some of the programs developed for people that come straight from undergrad. The average age, work experience and projected salary is lower at Sciences PO vs LSE. When it comes to MPP/MPA choosing LSE over Sciences PO is a no brainer. However, deciding between LSE and Oxford would definitely be challenging.

It's very individual depending on where we are in our careers and what we want from the masters. you can probably profit more from the oxford/lse programmes after obtaining a few years of work experience just as you can get quality education and preparation for the job market by doing an mpp programme designed for undergrads if you're coming straight from undergrad.
There have been significant changes since I left scpo (creation of the ecole d'affaires publiques), but from what i gather master in public policy is now what master affaires publiques used to be and that programme in French is one of scpo's toughest, best and most respected programmes.
Original post by Andi.di
It's very individual depending on where we are in our careers and what we want from the masters. you can probably profit more from the oxford/lse programmes after obtaining a few years of work experience just as you can get quality education and preparation for the job market by doing an mpp programme designed for undergrads if you're coming straight from undergrad.
There have been significant changes since I left scpo (creation of the ecole d'affaires publiques), but from what i gather master in public policy is now what master affaires publiques used to be and that programme in French is one of scpo's toughest, best and most respected programmes.

Yeah, agreed that it depends on whether you have some work experience or if you are straight from undergrad -- in any case by attending LSE you also have the opportunity to spend your second year at Sciences PO :-) I will also most likely be attending LSE in a few months..looking forward to see you in London!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Yeah, agreed that it depends on whether you have some work experience or if you are straight from undergrad -- in any case by attending LSE you also have the opportunity to spend your second year at Sciences PO :-) I will also most likely be attending LSE in a few months..looking forward to see you in London!

Yay! :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Andi.di

Hi Andi.di!

Sorry for my delayed response, Studentroom decided to stop sending me email notifications all of a sudden. Thank you for your inputs about SciPo. I do agree with you that it's an amazing school. My only complaint is that they take 2-3 months after the deadline (March 17th) to make offers - which is excruciatingly long tbh.

Anyway, good luck with your Oxford application. I'm sure when the moment comes, you'll instinctively know what's a better fit for you! :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Dora_lu
I have the similar situation like you. They need another academic reference, so I have to resubmit two weeks ago. But the timeline shows that MPA program was already closed for new applicants. Does that have any influence on our application?

Hi Dora_lu,

First off, I'm so, so sorry about my delayed response. I no longer get email notifications from Studentroom for reasons that baffle me. About the closing of the MPA programme - I am not sure what gave you that impression (perhaps because the MA in Public Administration programme closed?), but I just checked and applications for MPA are still open. But I do understand your anxiety because I was in the exact same position a couple of weeks ago. So I wrote to the MPA department and their response really helped me calm down. This is what they said:

"Dear Rachana,

Thank you for your email and interest in the MPA programme.

Please do not worry about it as the programme is still open and accepting applications, and it is highly unlikely that it will be closing anytime soon. In previous years we have still been accepting applications in May/June so there is more than enough time for second referee to submit their reference.

I hope this helps and should you have any further queries please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

Jess"

I hope that helps in some way! Good luck with your application(s)!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending