The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Hey guys!

I couldn't find a thread for this years exam, so I thought I'd start one. I visited a thread for last years exam and it helped a great deal so I'm hoping this one will do the same for people.

So please use this to talk to others doing this exam, ask any questions, share revision techniques and any answers you've written, and make predictions as to what you think might come up this year.

Good luck with both your revision and exams! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96

Hey guys!

I couldn't find a thread for this years exam, so I thought I'd start one. I visited a thread for last years exam and it helped a great deal so I'm hoping this one will do the same for people.

So please use this to talk to others doing this exam, ask any questions, share revision techniques and any answers you've written, and make predictions as to what you think might come up this year.

Good luck with both your revision and exams! :biggrin:

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Okay then thanks :smile: I didn't know where would be the best place to put it aha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi I'm really struggling with how to revise for this one. I'm doing Dr Faustus, Northanger Abbey and The Changeling but cannot seem to find any revision for The Changeling? How are you all revising
Unfortunately, I am doing none of your texts. But to revise I am just doing loads of essay questions. That way I learn the quotes and at the same time I'm practicing my writing style and timings.

Also trying to pick quotes that can be used for several different elements. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi. I studied this subject last year and I got a B. I did Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber and Dr Faustus and to get to grips with the various themes and features involved, I did a three-way comparison which I posted on a different forum. I also have a compendium of useful quotes (mostly from English review). can post these if anyone feels they would be of any use
Original post by scjman
Hi. I studied this subject last year and I got a B. I did Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber and Dr Faustus and to get to grips with the various themes and features involved, I did a three-way comparison which I posted on a different forum. I also have a compendium of useful quotes (mostly from English review). can post these if anyone feels they would be of any use

Oh yes please could you post those. It would be a great help thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ok here are the two documents. hope they're helpful :smile:
Hi, could you share the compendium of notes please? I found your three way comparrison and it is so very useful! Anymore would be magic. Thanks!
Reply 9
Hello! I assume you're talking to me. The compendium is on this page as well I uploaded both documents
Omg this thread is going to be so helpful!!

I've studied Northanger Abbey, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein and The Changeling (although I seriously doubt I will write about Wuthering I hate it!!).

Just wondering what you've been told about the grading? My teachers grade our practice essays in the Bands so they'll just write 'Low Band 5' 'High Band 4' etc at the end of each essay. What actual grade does each band relate to?

Thanks !!
Reply 11
yes please !!!!
Original post by amforsyth
Omg this thread is going to be so helpful!!

I've studied Northanger Abbey, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein and The Changeling (although I seriously doubt I will write about Wuthering I hate it!!).

Just wondering what you've been told about the grading? My teachers grade our practice essays in the Bands so they'll just write 'Low Band 5' 'High Band 4' etc at the end of each essay. What actual grade does each band relate to?

Thanks !!

Hey I'm doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and Wuthering Heights (I also detest this book)

From my own person experience, you seem to be able to get an A somewhere from mid band 5 upwards I think. Band 4 is a B I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is going to be so useful!

I'm doing Northanger Abbey, Dr Faustus and wuthering heights.... :frown: Anyone got any good revision notes of any of these that I can add to mine?
Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
Hey I'm doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and Wuthering Heights (I also detest this book)

From my own person experience, you seem to be able to get an A somewhere from mid band 5 upwards I think. Band 4 is a B I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were told that 6=A* 5=A 4=B 3=C and so on :smile:
Original post by gthomas400
We were told that 6=A* 5=A 4=B 3=C and so on :smile:

Yeah that might be right. It makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it only me that hates northanger abbey... I'm studying macbeth, wuthering heights and northanger abbey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im studying macbeth, frankenstein and the bloody chamber :smile: anyone else doing these texts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!
I'm doing Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, Doctor Faustus and Northanger Abbey (we study four because our teachers have seen an improvement in results with four texts). Has anyone got any predictions what might come up for Section A on any of these texts? Or Section B? I'm really hoping a question on the extent to which John Thorpe is a Gothic Villain comes up on Section A, or ambiguity of evil in Faustus!
Reply 19
I'm studying The Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights and Macbeth. Does anyone have any predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest