The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Fine Art at Goldsmiths or Lancaster? What's Fine Art in Lancaster like?

Hi guys, I need your advice!

I am an A Level student and had applied for Fine Art at Goldsmiths and Lancaster. I got accepted by both and am excited and happy because they're both great places.

BUT

Here's my dilemma. London is dangerously expensive, especially when I am paying as an International student without any fundings. But it's Goldsmiths! The land of the artsy-fartsies and contemporary art and Damien Hirst's jizz - a dream come true for an aspiring artist you might say,

Lancaster is like £5000+ cheaper. But I have no idea what the university has to offer in the art scene, compare to Goldsmiths that is. Please tell me which I should pick I would appreciate it very much!! THanks

TL;DR - If you were a Fine Art student would you go to Goldsmiths and be broke or Lancaster and be alright-ish?
Lancaster and Goldsmiths are very different in terms of Fine Art, the main difference being that the former is much more structured (with briefs and such). If you're set on making a career as a fine artist, Goldsmiths would be a much better choice as the course is firmly directed with this in mind. There are also so many opportunities to exhibit and share your work in London, as well as gaining experience in galleries.
My only expirience of Lancaster is from the open day, but they really seemed focused on more realistic career paths and the academic side was quite dominant. But that doesn't mean you'll never succeed as an artist if you go there. I think the best thing to do is pick the course that you feel is the best fit for you.

Also, I've found living in London isn't as expensive as everyone thinks if you know where to go. But rents can be pretty ridiculous and I can see that international students could really struggle. If you do decide to move to London, maybe try to find a room in a house-share rather than halls. Sometimes you can find basic rooms for around £90 a week.
Good luck!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Lonelylolita,

I think the concerns you've mentioned are completely relevant and I wish you the best of luck in choosing the university. I suppose I agree with Helveticabold here in saying that London can be cost effective but go with your gut! Let me know which you pick! :biggrin:
I live in Lancaster at the moment (not at uni but have applied this year to unis all down south) I would say there's literally no art scene here, no funky architecture, anything thats out of the box gets slated and gets shut down within weeks of opening. Also the campus is half an hour away from the centre with literally nothing except countryside and crappy houses in between, though you can't really say its a city centre when there are only 2 or 3 shops worth going into. I study Art and Design Foundation diploma at the moment (lived here all my life) and my tutor tells everyone not to apply to Lancaster for Fine Art because of how academic it is. I hope this can help anyone having a similar dilemma to the OP. Lancaster is a very boring place to live.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending