The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni or Manchester Metropolitan university

I am thinking to study postgradute Find art Which should I go for?
Original post by Eston tan

Have you visited either uni? Which course do you prefer? Would you prefer to be in the centre of a large city (MMU) or a small city where the campus is a bus ride from the city centre (Lancaster)? Have you compared living/accommodation costs?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Hi!
It's great that you are considering Lancaster Uni as one of your options - in my biased opinion as a student here (heh), it's lovely.
Most important factor in your decision should probably be the course itself - contents and structure. For fine arts, Lancaster's course offers a lot of flexibility through a variety of optional modules and highlights the practical aspect of art as well (with a 24/7 access to a studio space). Compare the courses at both universities to see which one you would be more interested in.

Furthermore, it is important to get 'a feel for the uni'. I would recommend attending open days for both universities, in person if you can, to speak to the lecturers, have a look around the campus and see the facilities. The next Postgraduate open day at Lancaster is on the 10th of February: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/open-days/postgraduate-open-days/

Also, depending on your priorities, consider facilities and opportunities outside of your degree: e.g. facilities, societies, location, etc. Lancaster University has a wonderful campus, which has both bustling lively areas as well as quiet green spaces and gives the university a homely community feel. This might be different to Manchester Metropolitan's city campus, so consider which one you would prefer :smile:

Good luck with making this important decision!

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!
It's great that you are considering Lancaster Uni as one of your options - in my biased opinion as a student here (heh), it's lovely.
Most important factor in your decision should probably be the course itself - contents and structure. For fine arts, Lancaster's course offers a lot of flexibility through a variety of optional modules and highlights the practical aspect of art as well (with a 24/7 access to a studio space). Compare the courses at both universities to see which one you would be more interested in.

Furthermore, it is important to get 'a feel for the uni'. I would recommend attending open days for both universities, in person if you can, to speak to the lecturers, have a look around the campus and see the facilities. The next Postgraduate open day at Lancaster is on the 10th of February: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/open-days/postgraduate-open-days/

Also, depending on your priorities, consider facilities and opportunities outside of your degree: e.g. facilities, societies, location, etc. Lancaster University has a wonderful campus, which has both bustling lively areas as well as quiet green spaces and gives the university a homely community feel. This might be different to Manchester Metropolitan's city campus, so consider which one you would prefer :smile:

Good luck with making this important decision!

Polina,

Hi Polina
Thank you so much for sharing your opinions . Too bad I can’t make it to the Postgraduate open day on 10th of February . I’m Malaysian artist who base in Taiwan , anyway I’ll go into detail on Lancaster school of art. thanks again. Happy New Year. Cheers.

Eston tan
Hi Polina
Thank you so much for sharing your opinions . Too bad I can’t make it to the Postgraduate open day on 10th of February . I’m Malaysian artist who base in Taiwan , anyway I’ll go into detail on Lancaster school of art. thanks again. Happy New Year. Cheers.

Eston tan

Hi,

I see. At Lancaster we also run an online open day for people who can't join in person, where you will also have an opportunity to meet current students and lecturers, ask questions and have a virtual tour of the university. I am sure that Manchester Metropolitan Uni offer a similar experience too, so perhaps that would be of use :smile:

Happy New Year!
Polina,

Both Lancaster University and Manchester Metropolitan University have excellent fine art programs at the postgraduate level, so choosing between them depends on your specific preferences and goals. Consult with past students, post on their community pages and decide wisely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending