The Student Room Group

AS Levels Advice Needed

Hi

I have finally finished my GCSE exams!!!

However, I have a bit of problem when it comes to choosing my AS Levels.

At the end of year 9, I made the mistake of not taking music. I hated one of the teachers which I knew would teach my class and I really found the lessons boring.

So instead I took Geography, French and GNVQ Business (2 GCSEs).

My Business course was my option instead of Music and I love the subject. But my class was full of thick, bunking off, supended idoits (17 started the course, 5 finished) and I was the only predited high than an F.

Anyway, I have decided I want to be either an accountant or a music teacher!!! Notice the problem - no GCSE Music!

The school have said I am allowed to take it at AS Level due to the fact I'm Grade 7 piano, Grade 5 violin (threating to quit though) and have recently started clarinet lessons.

But my friends in sixth form say AS Music is solid and unless you have at least a B at GCSE - you shouldn't take it. There is also the fact that I can't compose.

I really need Music A level if I want to become a music teacher but I also need a decent grade (A/B - I have two universities in mind).

My other options are (at present) Business and French. I am considered take Maths but I would have to study this at college by night. I don't need Maths because I'm taking Business but it would be handy.

If I didn't take Music, I could take Maths through my school as they are in the same column.

Am I being an idoit by considering Music? Is there anything I can do before September to prepare for Music lessons?

Oh, if your interested my predicted are

English - C (did foundation so this is highest grade possible)
English Lit - C (ditto)
Maths - B
Science - BB (two GCSEs)
Geography - B (A on a good day)
French - B (ditto with the A)

But I already have two Bs in GNVQ Business because I sat the exam in Jan, I already know my final grade. It may go up to an A if the resits were better than Jan. (high unlikely though seeing that I had 29/35 35/35 and 31/35)

A_Musical_Gal
when u say you want to b a music teacher... do u mean like in a school or like a private teacher???

if its in a school, i dont think you'd need a-level music, with your tallent you could always just do a plain degree in something and then do a teacher training course-specializing in music.

theres no reason why you shouldn't b able to do a-level music, you'e obviously talented and as long as your prepared to work on your composing im sure u'll do fine.

as for what other a-levels to take, take things you'll enjoy. its a lot of hard work, and if u hate it, you'll want to give up.

hope i helped!

love Katy ***
Reply 2
You're not an idiot at all; don't be hard on yourself. If you have a flair for music, I'm sure you will catch up. There's no need to worry about not having GCSE music if you are able to get a qualification in it at a higher level.

Thing is though, I suggest you work on being able to compose. Most music A-Levels involve a fairly significant percentage (at least 20% of the whole course) devoted to composing and performing. I presume you're able to read music if you can play the piano and violin ? Music GCSE has a fair bit devoted onto the basics of composition (since there are marks available for a musical project there too) such as the I, IV, V structures, but maybe you already know about this ?

Don't forget that a lot of music courses, especially in the 2nd year are largely theory based and analytical - studying genres in depth.

I found I developed my composition much more when I learned the acoustic guitar. It's now almost second nature to "hear" all the notes of other instruments that would fit around anything I'm playing - but admittedly, it's more of an indie/rock area I'm into. I'm sure, with a bit of practice, it will be the same for you too, as you are obviously talented. I wish I could play the piano !

Best of luck.
Originally posted by EddieB
The I, IV, V structures, but maybe you already know about this ?

What are I, IV, V structures?

I have playing the piano since I was 5 and took my first exam when I was 5 1/2 (but failed - badly!).

I used to play the guitar but lessons cost £10 for an hour and because I'm left handed, I needed a left handed guitar (I can use a right but its a lot harder for me) which cost a bit more than what a right handed would have. After 3 years, I was forced to quit because lesson prices were going up and I hadn't done a exam (too far to travel to exam site).

I managed to get a copy of Sibelius 2 from the school - they give out it to all GCSE students because otherwise 25 people would be struggling to their coursework of 6 computers. I am having a little play about but not much sucess.

As for what type of teacher. I want to a School Music Teacher - the type which breathes down your neck for coursework but I'll be a lot nicer!
Hi

Just post this to get it back on the first page.

This post is only 3 days old and I still need help. If people can't see it - I can't get help.

If anyone can help with my problems choosing my ASs and my Music problen - please do.

Oh and my clarinet arrived - bye bye too much rent and crap clarinet!
you will be able to get in NP without gcse music unless the college are fucking dumb then u leave and go elsewhere, and dont ask the lacky on the sign in day, ask to speak to the head of music.
I am not going to college. I'm staying at my run down comp as my local college doesn't teach music.

My head of music is the teacher I hated in year 9 - the one I didn't take music because of.

I have already had a 1/2 hour meeting with him and my parents discussing AS Music on Careers Night.

He said it was fine and everything and that if I put the effort in he was sure I could get at least a C. He also said he'd put a floder of stuff together for me before I left - I have left and without a folder.

If I'm going to do a music degree I need a B in Music, another B and a C min (requirement for local uni - I have to stay at home during uni!) So I don't know.

Mr "I give detentions if your really musical and you don't take music for GCSE" was kind of nice about the whole I didn't take GCSE but I want to take AS thing which made me feel better because he'll be teaching me for 3 of the 5 lessons per week.

Anyway, I still need help with composing. I'm trying a simple Egyptian Dance thingy. Basically, its a type of modal music (what ever that is). I have seen a few examples and it looks easy to compose.
Reply 7
Well good luck with the teacher and everything lol, but providing your school teach the a-level properly you won't have any problem as the first syl covers all background knowledge and you can easy catch up with the slightest bit of effort if you are interested in music.

I guess you will have to put up with him but in my experience putting up with crap teachers is a bad idea, is there only one, if not ask for the other :P
I didn't say he was crap. He is just not nice.

I'm not to only one who thinks so too. The two hated teacher at my school are the head of french and the head of music. and I'm going to have to put up with both next year.
well i havent finishd mine, but i still need 2 satrt chossin now, so jus shut up, cuz we all bovrd
a_musical_gal
Hi

I have finally finished my GCSE exams!!!

However, I have a bit of problem when it comes to choosing my AS Levels.

At the end of year 9, I made the mistake of not taking music. I hated one of the teachers which I knew would teach my class and I really found the lessons boring.

So instead I took Geography, French and GNVQ Business (2 GCSEs).

My Business course was my option instead of Music and I love the subject. But my class was full of thick, bunking off, supended idoits (17 started the course, 5 finished) and I was the only predited high than an F.

Anyway, I have decided I want to be either an accountant or a music teacher!!! Notice the problem - no GCSE Music!

The school have said I am allowed to take it at AS Level due to the fact I'm Grade 7 piano, Grade 5 violin (threating to quit though) and have recently started clarinet lessons.

But my friends in sixth form say AS Music is solid and unless you have at least a B at GCSE - you shouldn't take it. There is also the fact that I can't compose.

I really need Music A level if I want to become a music teacher but I also need a decent grade (A/B - I have two universities in mind).

My other options are (at present) Business and French. I am considered take Maths but I would have to study this at college by night. I don't need Maths because I'm taking Business but it would be handy.

If I didn't take Music, I could take Maths through my school as they are in the same column.

Am I being an idoit by considering Music? Is there anything I can do before September to prepare for Music lessons?

Oh, if your interested my predicted are

English - C (did foundation so this is highest grade possible)
English Lit - C (ditto)
Maths - B
Science - BB (two GCSEs)
Geography - B (A on a good day)
French - B (ditto with the A)

But I already have two Bs in GNVQ Business because I sat the exam in Jan, I already know my final grade. It may go up to an A if the resits were better than Jan. (high unlikely though seeing that I had 29/35 35/35 and 31/35)

A_Musical_Gal
Reply 10
Unregistered
well i havent finishd mine, but i still need 2 satrt chossin now, so jus shut up, cuz we all bovrd

Pardon? :confused:
Reply 11
Lord Huntroyde
Pardon? :confused:

bovrd = bothered?
I thought he meant Bovril, mmmm gravy...!
Reply 12
ZJuwelH
bovrd = bothered?
I thought he meant Bovril, mmmm gravy...!

I wonder why he found a nearly five month old thread to reply to.
Reply 13
Lord Huntroyde
I wonder why he found a nearly five month old thread to reply to.

Attention, boredom and just because he felt like going on a hateration.
By the way, what's your signature about?
Reply 14
ZJuwelH
Attention, boredom and just because he felt like going on a hateration.
By the way, what's your signature about?

Two verses from Stairway to Heaven.
Reply 15
Lord Huntroyde
Two verses from Stairway to Heaven.

Is that a Bible chapter or a song?
Reply 16
ZJuwelH
Is that a Bible chapter or a song?

lol, a song by Led Zeppelin, not very religious.

Latest

Trending

Trending