The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2016 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RR97
I've achieved A*AA at A2- that only comes to 380 but everyone seems to have scores significantly higher i.e in the 700s+
Does GCSE count?
Thanks for your help by the way!

Original post by Sp22
Yh do Gcses have tariff points ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSE's do not count toward your UCAS tariff. Only whatever listed here counts toward your UCAS Tarrif https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables

People have a high tariff because of extra things such as EPQ, General studies, Music, etc.
I don't understand the tariff table (lol) can someone tell me what ABB would be given?

I know I'll I much higher ukcat to balance out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by HCAssistant93
I don't understand the tariff table (lol) can someone tell me what ABB would be given?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ABB? You need to be predicted and achieve at least AAA for medicine?
Reply 23

Posted from TSR Mobile

ABB would give you 320 points
Original post by Clubba
ABB? You need to be predicted and achieve at least AAA for medicine?

Not for graduate entry with a science degree at 2.1 level. Only certain unis have those requirements and I have done my research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hectors
ABB would give you 320 points

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Hectors
No but extra AS grades do count! Even stuff like grade 8 music certificates.

Ohh, so how much would an A be?
Reply 27
Original post by RR97
Ohh, so how much would an A be?

An A grade at AS is half the points of an A at A level (60 points) and so on.

Not for graduate entry with a science degree at 2.1 level. Only certain unis have those requirements and I have done my research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they look at ucas points for graduates, they are looking for degree classification and UKCAT score?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hectors
An A grade at AS is half the points of an A at A level (60 points) and so on.

I don't think they look at ucas points for graduates, they are looking for degree classification and UKCAT score?

For the graduate school? Maybe you're right I think sorry! Ye they weigh your degree classification against ukcat score

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh apologies, I had no idea you were a graduate :colondollar:
Reply 30
Original post by RR97
How do I calculate my UCAS Tarrif?

You could have asked me this, I know how to do it
Reply 31
What tariffs do people have ? What's the cut off tariff ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RR97
Would anybody know how realistic 490 Tariff points and a 737.5 in the UKCAT would be for QM?

Seems realistic.
I received an interview last year with ~600 UCAS Tariff and 680 UKCAT.
It all really depends on the stats of the other applicants.
But it is probably worth a try :smile:
Reply 33
Barts have put up the data from the 2015 admissions cycle

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/admissions-2015-cycle.pdf
I found out I'm underaged for Barts so I'll have to deferred my entry if I wanna apply there. I'm an international student as well so I'd like to ask does deferring my entry put my at a disadvantage compared to the other applicants since theres so little places in the first place?

PS I've emailed them to ask about deferring entry for internationals and they said it ok
Would it be reasonable to apply with 740/760 UCAS tariff and 665 UKCAT? Also I had Band 3 in the ukcat so I'm a bit worried about that:ashamed2:
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Would it be reasonable to apply with 740/760 UCAS tariff and 665 UKCAT? Also I had Band 3 in the ukcat so I'm a bit worried about that:ashamed2:

Yes that's more than what I had last year and I got in. Not sure about band 3, last year they disqualified SJT but I'd imagine that Bart's only care about the average itself?
Original post by TechRaid3r
Yes that's more than what I had last year and I got in. Not sure about band 3, last year they disqualified SJT but I'd imagine that Bart's only care about the average itself?

Ah ok thank you :smile: I was just a bit worried about my ukcat score because on selection criteria it says that people are not offered an interview with a total UKCAT score below the third percentile. What ukcat score did you have if you don't mind me asking?
I got 6A*s 5As at GCSE. AABB at AS (Bs in chem and bio :/) If I'm predicted A*AA/AAA and then have A at AS from History and 7 UCAS points from L3 Algebra, will this be a good enough tariff score to apply with?

I do my UKCAT this week and would be happy with 2,700, but am obviously aiming for more.

Other than that though, just wondering where Barts falls on people's priorities, like is it 1st/2nd etc choice or lower. For me my top picks are Barts and Imperial.
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Ah ok thank you :smile: I was just a bit worried about my ukcat score because on selection criteria it says that people are not offered an interview with a total UKCAT score below the third percentile. What ukcat score did you have if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah I just read the thing about the third percentile on the website and I'm not sure if that was the case for 2015 entry...but I was definitely well below average. I had 660 or a bit less (I was very unprepared and totally didn't expect an interview).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending