The Student Room Group

Accept apprenticeship without staying?

I graduated with a 2.1 but was not able to find employment so I have been volunteering at an accounting firm for some time now.
They seem to be very keen on getting an apprentice as they get money from the government.

As the minimum wage for apprenticeships is extremely low I'd rather not waste an entire year with them but I would not mind if I was able to leave on short notice.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave apprenticeships or are you stuck once you sign a contract?
Reply 1
The thing is either way I am going to be there so I thought I might as well get some money. However as my experience grows I may get an opportunity and I would prefer to not waste it.
Reply 2
Either way, you can leave an apprenticeship, or so I have been told.. it's just like any job, depending on your contract (make sure if yo do go for it you get one) you'll have a notice period... :smile: it is a tricky one, as know that on one hand, you could have a black mark on the CV if you leave too early... at the end of the day, I would probably write up a list of pros and cons for taking/not taking the apprenticeship and go from there :smile: good luck!
Reply 3
I'm not too worried about the CV as once I hop onto a 'proper' role this firm will not matter anymore.
Reply 4
True point! :smile: at the end of the day, I think you've gotta do what's right for you, and besides, you volunteered with them for ages, which shows you're willing to gain the practical experience (which you have) which would count for something with another firm.. at the end of the day plans change all the time in life, of which am sure firms know :smile:
The problem I would see is that you're going to find it very hard for the apprenticeship to work in terms of college.

The whole point of an apprenticeship is to give a school-leaver adequate qualifications suited to that role, usually in the form of an NVQ2/3.

The issue here would be that you might not get funding for the course, nor accepted for that matter because you have such a high qualification already.

I know there are specific schemes for accountancy graduates that have an apprenticeship sort of design to them, however these are specifically aimed for Grad's and not School Leavers.

I also think there's government funding for that too if that's a route you would like to take?
Original post by AuC
I graduated with a 2.1 but was not able to find employment so I have been volunteering at an accounting firm for some time now.
They seem to be very keen on getting an apprentice as they get money from the government.

As the minimum wage for apprenticeships is extremely low I'd rather not waste an entire year with them but I would not mind if I was able to leave on short notice.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave apprenticeships or are you stuck once you sign a contract?

you can leave at short notice ? you just up and leave when you get a proper job, i feel bad for your situation however and feel like i may be in a similar one soon, from getting a good degree to doing an apprenticeship (not even a good paid one) but the job market is a lottery good luck mate !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending