The Student Room Group

do I need a marketing degree

I can currently studying criminology part time distant learning as I have a interest for it however I also want to go into marketing maybe,

how can I do that ? as I can't do a apprenticeship alongside a degree ?

I don't know if I need a marketing degree?
I could do a masters in it in the future ?

I was planning on maybe pausing the part time learning as its online and going uni for three years to do business and management with marketing but think its a waste as i know someone who's in first year and they just learn about data and how to work as a team and manage people however I want the hands on experience and don't really want a business degree as I feel I can learn more from reading and watching YouTube as appose to studying and doing essays on the matter

please could someone advise me :frown:
Reply 1
Personally i think just stay and do criminology if that’s what you want to do and if you can get a good grade in it. You can do a marketing masters conversion it’s quite common, you can also do summer work experience in marketing and convert that to a grad job without having to do the masters. You can honestly get into any job you want (excluding law and med) with any degree as long as you get some experience thats what matters most to employers
Original post by Maya4955
I can currently studying criminology part time distant learning as I have a interest for it however I also want to go into marketing maybe,

I was planning on maybe pausing the part time learning as its online and going uni for three years to do business and management with marketing but think its a waste as i know someone who's in first year and they just learn about data and how to work as a team and manage people however I want the hands on experience and don't really want a business degree as I feel I can learn more from reading and watching YouTube as appose to studying and doing essays on the matter

please could someone advise me :frown:

You apply for work in marketing. The minimum entry requirement to get into marketing is basically nothing (I would suggest a good grasp of maths and English, so possibly high passes in GCSE Maths and English Language would be good though).
There are grad schemes for marketing, but they generally shortlist you based on grades in your degree before they look at your personality.

Nope, you generally need no qualifications. You can study for a marketing degree if you wish, but it's very unnecessary (unless you want to be an academic in marketing).
If anything, having a professional certification in marketing (such as a CIM) would be of more benefit than a degree in marketing in my opinon. Other organisations to look into are IDM and DMI, but CIM is recommended because you can use it any any country in the world.

Yep. A master's in marketing would accept an undergrad in any subject so long you have a high enough grade in it. I still recommend a half decent personal statement though.
Original post by anoraeb
Personally i think just stay and do criminology if that’s what you want to do and if you can get a good grade in it. You can do a marketing masters conversion it’s quite common, you can also do summer work experience in marketing and convert that to a grad job without having to do the masters. You can honestly get into any job you want (excluding law and med) with any degree as long as you get some experience thats what matters most to employers

I pretty much agree with everything you have mentioned except for the law part, which I partly agree with.

To become a solicitor, you would need to do an SQE, which would accept a degree in any subject. To become a barrister, you would need an LLB or a law conversion course (PGDL).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending