The Student Room Group

Any Universities with low grade requirements?

Title

I got great GCSE results, but my predicted A levels are completely different story. I want to go to university, because I'd really like to pursue a career in Computer Science in the future.

I took Maths, Physics and Computer Science, and I'm doing really well in Computer Science (predicted A), but I'm doing terrible in my other subjects.

I'm predicted ABB but I don't think I'll be able to manage that, because on my most recent report I got ACD, and I'm not good at improving my grades. Are there any universities that will accept results as bad as the ones I might get?
Original post by Cheemgles
Title

I got great GCSE results, but my predicted A levels are completely different story. I want to go to university, because I'd really like to pursue a career in Computer Science in the future.

I took Maths, Physics and Computer Science, and I'm doing really well in Computer Science (predicted A), but I'm doing terrible in my other subjects.

I'm predicted ABB but I don't think I'll be able to manage that, because on my most recent report I got ACD, and I'm not good at improving my grades. Are there any universities that will accept results as bad as the ones I might get?

Have you thought about an apprenticeship? It's a different way of learning which might suit you better, and it can get you to the same place, in the same time, without the long-term debt.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Have you thought about an apprenticeship? It's a different way of learning which might suit you better, and it can get you to the same place, in the same time, without the long-term debt.

I haven't, but I don't think an apprenticeship would get me to the same place, and also I'd have to live with my parents for a lot longer than I want to.
Original post by Cheemgles
I haven't, but I don't think an apprenticeship would get me to the same place, and also I'd have to live with my parents for a lot longer than I want to.

An apprenticeship will get you to the same place or better than a university degree from somewhere who accepts Bs and Cs. What the IT industry is crying out for is experience, not just certificates. Good apprenticeships are going to accelerate in value over the next few years.

I accept the point about living at home and wanting to get away, but build that in to your search.
Im fairly sure you’ll find a university that would accept you, if you commit to researching all uk universities.

I would recommend you read the shadbolt report. Whilst employability & salaries are exceptionally strong at the top end of the graduate compsci market, opportunities drop off fast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending