The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Being 17 at Edinburgh

I'm planning on applying for Edinburgh 2016 entry for geology. However I will only have turned 17 about a month before I start.
Will this make it hard to meet people (as I will be underage) and will it be harder work for me?
No it won't. I managed when I entered uni at 17 and of course while I didn't make many drinking friends, I made many non-drinking friends.

Eventually, I did end up making drinking friends and so its a mix now, it sorts itself out in the end.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I took a gap year to avoid that, still had a month of being 17. It was right for me. Mate started Glasgow at 17 and whilst it was frustrating sometimes he doesn't regret it.

Freshers week will probably feel a bit ****, it's pretty drinking focused though you can still on in the union. Just be warned so you don't get down about it. But like everyone, make an effort with some societies and you'll make friends.
Reply 3
Hi, I'll be 17 when I enter Edinburgh this year. As an international student from India I have been warned about cultural shock. But is there anything I'll need to know besides this?any advice?also will I face ragging and be secluded or will I still be accepted by the student community?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by amritakc
Hi, I'll be 17 when I enter Edinburgh this year. As an international student from India I have been warned about cultural shock. But is there anything I'll need to know besides this?any advice?also will I face ragging and be secluded or will I still be accepted by the student community?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could look it as you get an extra group of potential friends in the international students, the international office does events you can go to and they tend not to be drinking centred. Most Scottish people start uni at 18, some 17 so you'll be less young than in many other places.There's a pretty decent amount of Indian students, even more so if you include second/third generation immigrants.

My culture shocks with India were mostly how busy and chaotic and noisy it feels. Not even just cities, towns too. I guess depending on where you are from you might then find Edinburgh chilled and quiet, and not just from the lack of cows and autos :tongue: I felt a bit interrogated by Indians being friendly so you might find British people quite reserved or think they are being unfriendly when they aren't meaning to be. Similarly, you might need to hold back a bit if you are the sort on Indian who asks strangers lots of questions, people in the UK will find it really full on.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, what exactly concerns you?
Reply 5
@BKS
Thank you so much. You pretty much answered all my questions. I come from a big metro city that's always alive and active. But the point about the British students being more reserved and not chatty is an important reminder. Thanks again. Also, in the residence halls do we have to share a room with the opposite sex? I'm aware that there isn't a separate hall for girls and one for boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the culture here is different but the UK is pritty inclusive and in my expeience the dots are some of the nicest people in the UK you will possibly be treated the dramas any other person in the UK peopl will ask you about your home and stuff just like people asked me about reading and I asked my mate about Oxford and Germany
Reply 7
Wow that sounds nice!! I really wanted to learn about other cultures. Thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
@BKS
Thank you so much. You pretty much answered all my questions. I come from a big metro city that's always alive and active. But the point about the British students being more reserved and not chatty is an important reminder. Thanks again. Also, in the residence halls do we have to share a room with the opposite sex? I'm aware that there isn't a separate hall for girls and one for boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Edinburgh is still a city, there is still stuff to do but if you live in a city that'd big by Indian standards then you'll probably think Edinburgh is a town.

Plenty people will be chatty when you get them going. But to stereotype a bit, Indians will ask you all about your family when Brits will talk about the weather. It's a bit less forthcoming, especially in terms of personal things. We sort of ease into things more. It's a bit hard to describe but I got used to Indian interrogations quickly so I'm sure you'll get used to British reservation quickly once you've experienced it.

I'm not sure what an Indian fresher's week would be like, if there is one. But During it everyone wants to make friends so will be more chatty than normal.

I stayed in self catered flats where there were separate ones for guys and girls. If you are in halls, shared rooms will be single sex but corridors will be mixed.
Reply 9
@BKS

Edinburgh seems to be a very welcoming city and I'm sure people are very nice too. Thank you for giving me a better picture :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending