The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Driving to QMUL

Hi, I have read their website which says they don't have carpark and therefore recommend public transport but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking their car to uni. I wouldn't take it in the morning because I know what the rush hour can be like but say if I had a class at like 11 or 12 then I probably would. Is there some sort of parking permit holder thing you can buy that will last you a couple of months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I still wouldn't drive if I were you, the A11 between Bow and Whitechapel can get busy even outside of peak hours.
If you can cycle I'd recommend it, but given the cyclist fatality rate at the Bow gyratory I can understand why you'd have second thoughts
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
I still wouldn't drive if I were you, the A11 between Bow and Whitechapel can get busy even outside of peak hours.
If you can cycle I'd recommend it, but given the cyclist fatality rate at the Bow gyratory I can understand why you'd have second thoughts

Is this for the Mile End campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Is this for the Mile End campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess what I said applies to Whitechapel campus as well
Reply 4
Yeah, I guess what I said applies to Whitechapel campus as well

Oh alright, I'd be at the Mile End campus anyway. Is there somewhere I could park and then get like 25 minute bus or something? (Btw I'm not totally against taking a bus and train but I just find it abit inconvenient when I have a car but I don't mind public transport either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
where do you live? I know that my mother parks at a "free" "small" road very close to the station and takes the train from that station
[to work, not QM :redface:]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
One thing I've learned about London is that cars around central are a total nightmare. Nowhere to park, congestion charge and Expect traffic jams during peak hours.

Id personally use public transport to get to Mile End campus : train and tube
Original post by r-t
Hi, I have read their website which says they don't have carpark and therefore recommend public transport but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking their car to uni. I wouldn't take it in the morning because I know what the rush hour can be like but say if I had a class at like 11 or 12 then I probably would. Is there some sort of parking permit holder thing you can buy that will last you a couple of months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes there are car parks, however it is extremely expensive....you could rent someones driveway or pay for private parking at a private apartment area, but again it is expensive.

And traffic is a nightmare in this area, I drove in today but got free parking as it was nearly 5:30pm, it takes incredibly long due to the lack of roads and the way traffic flows in the area.
Reply 8
where do you live? I know that my mother parks at a "free" "small" road very close to the station and takes the train from that station
[to work, not QM :redface:]

West London so it will take about an hour and a half by public transport. I haven't been to see the uni but I may go once my exams have finished and check out the roads around there but I'll doubt I'd find anything but it's good to have a look. Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks guys, the general idea I'm getting is that taking a car will be a bad idea. I kind of knew this but just wanted some clarification. Looks like it will be public transport then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Thanks guys, the general idea I'm getting is that taking a car will be a bad idea. I kind of knew this but just wanted some clarification. Looks like it will be public transport then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me its quite bad, Took me close to an hour to get through, which is more around the rush hour......non-rush hour day time takes me around the 30-40 minute mark. And later at night easily do it under 20 minutes.

Taking public transport would be cheaper for you, however when you are coming in during the weekend, you'd prefer coming by car, especially during study leave then you can leave later at night comfortably.

Check the link for possible ways to rent, its expensive when you add it all up....,then take into account petrol, possible breakdowns, and traffic.
https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk/mile-end-parking-spaces-and-garages
Reply 11
Original post by Iqbal007
Trust me its quite bad, Took me close to an hour to get through, which is more around the rush hour......non-rush hour day time takes me around the 30-40 minute mark. And later at night easily do it under 20 minutes.

Taking public transport would be cheaper for you, however when you are coming in during the weekend, you'd prefer coming by car, especially during study leave then you can leave later at night comfortably.

Check the link for possible ways to rent, its expensive when you add it all up....,then take into account petrol, possible breakdowns, and traffic.
https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk/mile-end-parking-spaces-and-garages

Thank you for the link, yeh will definitely consider using my car on the weekend. With regards to the £125 per month deals wouldn't I be paying a similar price for a monthly travel card?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Thank you for the link, yeh will definitely consider using my car on the weekend. With regards to the £125 per month deals wouldn't I be paying a similar price for a monthly travel card?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on the zone you travel from....however that doesn't take into account the cost of petrol every week, the car, insurance, etc
Also if you do come in the weekends, make sure to know the times to come in when roads are clearer and also learn the backroutes or alternative routes to bypass the traffic.
Reply 13
Depending on the zone you travel from....however that doesn't take into account the cost of petrol every week, the car, insurance, etc
Also if you do come in the weekends, make sure to know the times to come in when roads are clearer and also learn the backroutes or alternative routes to bypass the traffic.

I would travel from Zone 5. My car would be insured regardless of whether I was driving it to uni or not which is why I don't see the point in letting it just sit there while I use the train. The petrol is also very cheap and barely consumes anything. Yeh I'm going to wait until results day so I definitely know whether I'm going there or not then if I am i will start planning routes etc. thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I would travel from Zone 5. My car would be insured regardless of whether I was driving it to uni or not which is why I don't see the point in letting it just sit there while I use the train. The petrol is also very cheap and barely consumes anything. Yeh I'm going to wait until results day so I definitely know whether I'm going there or not then if I am i will start planning routes etc. thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends which way you are coming from....cos you would have to leave at a certain time everyday to miss the traffic or face coming in late for lectures due to the traffic or being stuck in traffic meaning longer journey times.
Reply 15
Depends which way you are coming from....cos you would have to leave at a certain time everyday to miss the traffic or face coming in late for lectures due to the traffic or being stuck in traffic meaning longer journey times.

West London, I would probably have to take the A40 but not sure after that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
West London, I would probably have to take the A40 but not sure after that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I suggest you drive to ealing broadway, park your car there and then take the central line straight into mile end. I'm commuting from Harrow and I'm getting a lift to greenford station where the central line goes past and I'm taking it straight to mile end in September. Just a suggestion.
Reply 17
Original post by Nininho20
Can I suggest you drive to ealing broadway, park your car there and then take the central line straight into mile end. I'm commuting from Harrow and I'm getting a lift to greenford station where the central line goes past and I'm taking it straight to mile end in September. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion but Northolt station is only like 10 minutes away and that is also on the central line. However Ealing Broadway would probably take about 40 minutes to get to because of traffic and it isn't on the central line either. It's on the district line so it wouldn't top at Mile End.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Thanks for the suggestion but Northolt station is only like 10 minutes away and that is also on the central line. However Ealing Broadway would probably take about 40 minutes to get to because of traffic and it isn't on the central line either. It's on the district line so it wouldn't top at Mile End.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It actually does :tongue: tube_map.gif
District line even goes to Stepney Green which is closer than Mile End to the Maths, Computer Science and Engineering departments :smile:
Reply 19
It actually does :tongue: tube_map.gif
District line even goes to Stepney Green which is closer than Mile End to the Maths, Computer Science and Engineering departments :smile:

But I would be doing business so I wouldn't be in those departments would I? Also it would take about 40 minutes possibly longer with morning rush hour to get to Ealing. I think it would be easy spending this extra time on the train If that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending