The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

QMUL Overseas Clearing

Hi guys, hope results day has been okay for you all.
I was rejected from QMUL as I fell two grades below the requirement. However, I'm planning to get a remark so I'll see that goes haha.

I checked QMUL clearing, and found my course there, but only open to overseas students. So, my question is, if I get two grades higher with my remark, would I be able to apply through clearing to the same course - would they reopen the course for home students?
Original post by seesia
Hi guys, hope results day has been okay for you all.
I was rejected from QMUL as I fell two grades below the requirement. However, I'm planning to get a remark so I'll see that goes haha.

I checked QMUL clearing, and found my course there, but only open to overseas students. So, my question is, if I get two grades higher with my remark, would I be able to apply through clearing to the same course - would they reopen the course for home students?

Hi there :hello:

If you request a review of marking, then the uni should hold your place while that happens but be sure to request a priority review of marking. You shouldn't need to go near clearing.

Do you have a backup if your grades don't increase as you want them to? :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

If you request a review of marking, then the uni should hold your place while that happens but be sure to request a priority review of marking. You shouldn't need to go near clearing.

Do you have a backup if your grades don't increase as you want them to? :smile:

Hi, I called them to ask whether they could hold my space - they said no.
Right now I'm trying to figure out a backup, but I'm not really sure yet.
Original post by seesia
Hi, I called them to ask whether they could hold my space - they said no.
Right now I'm trying to figure out a backup, but I'm not really sure yet.

Definitely look for alternatives in clearing as your first action today.

Once that's done, phone QMUL back up and confirm that they would "honour their original offer if your changes were to change as a result of a review". Use this wording and make a note of the name and job description of the person you speak to with QMUL.

UCAS preach that a university 'ought to' honour the existing offers if a grade change occurs.

In your situation, my plan A would be to find another uni and plan B would be to see whether QMUL will come round. Statistics it's unlikely the grades will both end up in your favour, but it's not impossible and has happened before.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Definitely look for alternatives in clearing as your first action today.

Once that's done, phone QMUL back up and confirm that they would "honour their original offer if your changes were to change as a result of a review". Use this wording and make a note of the name and job description of the person you speak to with QMUL.

UCAS preach that a university 'ought to' honour the existing offers if a grade change occurs.

In your situation, my plan A would be to find another uni and plan B would be to see whether QMUL will come round. Statistics it's unlikely the grades will both end up in your favour, but it's not impossible and has happened before.

Thank you so much! I've called them a few times before but they've been incredibly wishy-washy, so using this wording will help, hopefully.
I'm struggling with finding another uni, but maybe it's because I've just had myself fixated on QMUL instead of looking at other options.
Original post by seesia
Thank you so much! I've called them a few times before but they've been incredibly wishy-washy, so using this wording will help, hopefully.
I'm struggling with finding another uni, but maybe it's because I've just had myself fixated on QMUL instead of looking at other options.

Yes. With QMUL you are chasing a maybe.
You need a guaranteed option before spending your time on QMUL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending