The Student Room Group

National 5 Computing - this Wednesday

Anyone have an idea of what might come up?

To be honest, I'm finding the past papers are hard and the marking scheme is very specific.

How about everyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ///curious
Anyone have an idea of what might come up?

To be honest, I'm finding the past papers are hard and the marking scheme is very specific.

How about everyone else?

omg im finding the past papers hard as well plus my computing teacher took a lot of days off so we barely finished the assesments and coursework in time.

This is my first exam so im soo nervous :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I have no idea what could be in it. If you look at this report, you might find clues as last year's Physics report said there would be more explanation type questions and there was so it might be the same with Computing.

Report: http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/ComputingScienceNational5CR2014.pdf
Reply 3
Good luck to everyone doing this exam tomoz!!!
Reply 4
I sat N5 Computing Science last year and found it pretty easy. I got 96% in my prelim and got an A for the exam.

Like you, I found the marking schemes to be very specific and often found when doing practice papers I was marking myself very lowly. However, I did know most of the knowledge pretty well (a lot of it is often common sense) and markers with professional experience will likely understand what you are trying to say.

As for the coding questions, just try to be confident in your approach to them. They're all very similar.

Good luck to all of you! I'm sure you'll do well. :smile:
The final exam is easy to be honest. My school marked our assignments harshly because they were getting verified. I got something like 75 percent in the exam and 60 percent in the assignment. So i just missed an A. I hate assignments really.
Reply 6
The exam was hard for me... hopefully I scored enough for a pass:frown:
the exam was actually pretty OK, a few hard questions, but overall it was good :smile:
i got 58/60 in the assignment so its in the bag !
Reply 9
I think it was a well done fair exam, my assignment was quite harshly marked but think I did enough for A/B. A few weird questions I had to guess and some difficult ones though
Reply 10
Original post by KG101
I think it was a well done fair exam, my assignment was quite harshly marked but think I did enough for A/B. A few weird questions I had to guess and some difficult ones though

Did anyone get the line 7 question about the programme.. I had no idea what to write

Posted from TSR Mobile
you had to do area of wall divided by area of brick so multiply length and breadth to get area
what did you write for the problem with the design with the boxes
Reply 13
Original post by yaseen_15
what did you write for the problem with the design with the boxes

No idea which question that is, please don't say I missed it out :confused::confused::confused:
do you think they will bring the percentage mark down for an A or was it normal or as it easy - how much is an A?
Reply 15
do you think they will bring the percentage mark down for an A or was it normal or as it easy - how much is an A?

It'll probably be 105/150 imo
Reply 16

They should bring the mark down imo this years exam was harder than last years..

My teacher never marked the coursework because he said everyone was copying his programmes.. is the coursework worth 20% or 40%

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by xdabex
They should bring the mark down imo this years exam was harder than last years..

My teacher never marked the coursework because he said everyone was copying his programmes.. is the coursework worth 20% or 40%

Posted from TSR Mobile

The coursework is worth up to 40% of your overall grade at Nat 5. :smile:
For the question with the template for the web page, what features did you list to aid navigation? I put down the navigation bar and home button separately, though I'm not too sure about that as they were in the same location.

The line 7 question was definitely tricky (I was expecting something more like adding up variables), but I think I got it. Do you divide the wall length by the brick length, do the same for height, then multiply them together? You could probably divide the area of the wall by the area of a brick (but I didn't put that down).

I'm a little surprised how that password in Section 1 slipped through the cracks of the SQA (it said something like "high at school" :colone:)
i wrote down it was clear the target audience was clothes poeople and readability - info was spaced out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending