The Student Room Group

Best and worst times in history to be poor?

(UK context).

I'd say:

Best time: 1999.
Worst time: 1840.
Original post by Lady Comstock
(UK context).

I'd say:

I think your suggestions are good (for worst year, any year with a cholera epidemic and overwork in appalling cities would be high up there). Before the 19th century might mean you starve to death though because there probably wasn't a safety net like workhouses. :tongue: not sure which I'd prefer the least. I suppose in the past it was probably easier to snag a few pheasants on the sly. The time of the Bloody Code (apparently 1688 to 1815) would be something to consider as well.
Original post by Onde
I think your suggestions are good (for worst year, any year with a cholera epidemic and overwork in appalling cities would be high up there). Before the 19th century might mean you starve to death though because there probably wasn't a safety net like workhouses. :tongue: not sure which I'd prefer the least. I suppose in the past it was probably easier to snag a few pheasants on the sly. The time of the Bloody Code (apparently 1688 to 1815) would be something to consider as well.

I think 1830-1900 was the worst because it combined Tudor poverty with errant capitalism (as a result of empire and the Industrial Revolution).

Sort of that transition period. After that conditions and attitudes changed somewhat for the better, and before that people were not so much worked to the bone in the service of capitalism.
(edited 8 years ago)
(UK context).

I'd say:

Lady Comstock interested in being the scum which she so often disregards, reversed Stockholm syndrome?

Best time: 2003-2008 (high PPP, cheap credits with low interests, decent size welfare state, better housing market, employment standard laws before flexible labour market)

Worst time: 1850s (aggressive developments in the industrial production, Chartists movements dead, still waiting for Disraeli's factory/working hours laws and Lord Derby's enfranchisement)

We more or less agree.
Reply 4
When is there ever a good time to be poor?
Original post by William Pitt
Lady Comstock interested in being the scum which she so often disregards, reversed Stockholm syndrome?

Best time: 2003-2008 (high PPP, cheap credits with low interests, decent size welfare state, better housing market, employment standard laws before flexible labour market)

Worst time: 1850s (aggressive developments in the industrial production, Chartists movements dead, still waiting for Disraeli's factory/working hours laws and Lord Derby's enfranchisement)

We more or less agree.

I am a merciful Queen.
Original post by Onde
Before the 19th century might mean you starve to death though because there probably wasn't a safety net like workhouses.

Elizabethen poor laws? Provided relief for those unable to pay their own way. Fairly sure that it was also when workhouses were first introduced, at least on a countrywide scale, and was fairly effective in preventing starvation in times of famine.
I think 1830-1900 was the worst because it combined Tudor poverty with errant capitalism (as a result of empire and the Industrial Revolution).

Sort of that transition period. After that conditions and attitudes changed somewhat for the better, and before that people were not so much worked to the bone in the service of capitalism.

And yet it saw some absolutely monumental improvements in standards of living
Best time is right now. No matter the low growth rates of countries or stagnant economies, the world is doing significantly better nowadays than before the recession price wise! Aside from the first world, it's an undeniable improvement and in the first world, smartphones have reached the common folk, as have high quality computers, televisions and high speed wi fi! Those are today's most important commodities which in 2008 were only available to the upper middle classes of the first world.

Worst time: Probably 1990's eastern europe / Any conflict zone. The poor get shafted in wars like you could not imagine . Jesus christ.
Reply 9
The best time to be born poor was probably around 1970 so that you saw the full benefit of the last business cycle.

The worst time to be born poor was pre-1890.
problem with the question is you forget its also area dependant, i wouldn't want to have been poor during the Harrying of the north or during the Irish famine..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending