The Student Room Group

Should London underground implement women's only coach?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gabzy
She's a mega troll

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't everyone on TSR? :smile:
Well....something I would like to mention is that....say there was a carriage for women only....this would create a general form of separation between us. This can cause other general problems.

It is obvious that if there is a dedicated carriage for women....then there is less chance of women going to the "general public" carriages... these would be full of men....If the women carriage is full then individuals may be intimidated to go to the "general" carriages which would likely be dominated by men.
Reply 42
Yeah because we really need gender versions of Jim Crow laws.

Spoiler

The bestest solution would be for the men doing the bum grabbing to stop bum grabbing :indiff:
Original post by Protégé
No, what if I was travelling with a female friend?

Well the title doesnt specify a male only coach....it would either be women or general men. However if this was the case of seperate coaches for different genders...it would have more problems than you travelling with a friend.

How would they decide how many coaches for men and how many for women. Would that lead to the possibility of (for example) the male coaches crammed with people and the female possibly almost empty......
Original post by GnomeMage
So women wont feel uncomfortable especially during peak hour where everyone squeeze against each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming the purpose of this is to prevent the groping of women, then this is a horrendous idea. It suggests that men are unable to control themselves or have no responsibility to do this, and therefore women have to remove themselves if they don't want to be violated, as If this responsibility is theirs.

It is highly demeaning to men, suggesting that they are no more than animals incapable of self-control, and it almost places the blame on women and forces them to take reponsibility for other's inappropriate behaviour.
Reply 46
Original post by gabzy
Yea, would be nice not to get my ass groped :smile: but i don't think it would work although Japan has women only carriages:tongue:
I think theu would work lots of countries have women only carriages. Malaysia where I live has them. I've never heard of them not working I think they're a great idea :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by poohat
Only if we can have white-people only coaches/areas too. Either statistical discrimination is justified, or it isnt.

The vast majority of men do not grope women - yes some do, but most don't. If the existence of a small minority justifies segregation then "white people only" areas seems like an appropriate response to the fact that (eg) black people commit much, much more crime on average, even if most black people are not criminals.

It would actually be interesting to see the racial breakdown of Underground gropers - for example, certain non-white groups are far more likely to engage in street harassment/cat-calling even if the media usually tries to avoid mentioning this uncomfortable fact whenever the issue comes up.

And do you have any evidence for any of these outlandish claims up?
No you don't.
And what do you mean 'the media tried to cover this up'? Are you kidding me!
Look at the number of white paedophiles and entire groups involved in sexual harassment cases, only difference is if it's a minority offender the story will hover over around the front 3 pages instead of some little snippet around the middlle. In addition to this, look at how much coverage 'certain minority's groups' are given for such crimes - it's is disproportionate even relative to the percentage of the population that the minoriy constiute - there's FAR too much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
**** no. Plus it'd never work as people like myself (of which there are circumambiant amounts) would go push into there just on principle. It's the underground *****. Don't get on a train if you can't deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no need to get sassy. :u:

Feminists these make it sound like their daily struggles are life threatening.
Reply 49
Also let me just say if anyone thinks women aren't capable of getting all touchy-feely when something catches their eyes and they're all loved up on a tram or train, then they must be very ugly or smell bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
more segregation, more division, more conflict. leave it as it is.

this is probably more off topic but on the news lately the FA drew a plan to get more Asians interested in football. really?! they're more interested in cricket methinks, does it really matter
Original post by BCMFM16
There is no need to get sassy. :u:

Feminists these make it sound like their daily struggles are life threatening.

Shut up Ibrahim.
Shut up Ibrahim.

Excuse me? Edit your post :angry: Alexander M
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BCMFM16
Excuse me? Edit your post :angry: Alex.

I know where you live.
I know where you live.

Où?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
It would be nice for women to be able to get on the tube without fear of being groped but overall it is a pretty bad idea.
What if it is peak-hour everybody-cram-in time and everywhere else is full? It seems unfair for a man to be refused onto a train just because the carriage is for women.
And it seems an injustice that women can use all carriages whereas men only 5 out of the 7? And saying that men can have their own compartments too is basically supporting full-on segregation.
It's not something I would call "extreme". Around the world, it's not uncommon. As has been said, they have them in Japan, Mexico, and I know India has some. They have them in São Paulo and Rio too. They seem to function pretty well and without protest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BCMFM16
Où?

Spoiler

Why are you stalking me now?
Reply 58
Jesus, one of my friends has panic attacks on crowded carriages and they're male!!! That would be so unfair, i as a male HATE it and if their was a male only carriage.
THIS POST IS A REASON WHY WE NEED LESS FEMINISM AND MORE EGALITARIANISM
Why not just divide everything into several groups, e.g. buses for men, women, trans only; shops for each gender only; everything for each gender only. We should make cities, towns, countries for each gender only too.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest