The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety/ Social Phobia

Hi,

I've heard a lot about social anxiety recently and I'm starting to realise that maybe I suffer from it. I used to think that I was just shy, but now I realise that I was wrong and it goes way beyond that.

How does one truly know that he/she has social anxiety? How can one overcome the intense feeling of fear surrounding social environments. Is social anxiety a mental issue? Does anybody else here battle with it? Your experience/advice would be extremely helpful.

Hi there!

I'm not all that knowledgeable about social anxiety, as I, myself, am currently recovering from a more general form of reactive anxiety, but I hope to be of some help.

I would say that anxiety, in all its forms, formally comes under the umbrella of 'mental health issues', though different people probably have different opinions about its classification.

People may realise that they are experiencing social anxiety, because their feelings go beyond mere fear - they experience overwhelming feelings of fear, panic, discomfort, etc. in social situations. These feelings may be accompanied by physical symptoms such as sweating, shaking, breathing difficulties, etc. (I'm sure you can read up about this). Even contemplating engaging in a particular social situation may bring on such feelings and/physical symptoms.

As regards seeking help, I've been told that counselling and (particularly) CBT are the most effective methods of treating social anxiety, coupled with medication (if necessary). There is plenty of help and support out there for overcoming this particular form of anxiety, that's for sure!

I hope this is of some help to you,

Take care x

P.S. Don't be afraid to seek help if you think you need it, even if it's only to reassure yourself
Reply 2
Original post by CalebFudgeBrownie
Hi there!

I'm not all that knowledgeable about social anxiety, as I, myself, am currently recovering from a more general form of reactive anxiety, but I hope to be of some help.

I would say that anxiety, in all its forms, formally comes under the umbrella of 'mental health issues', though different people probably have different opinions about its classification.

People may realise that they are experiencing social anxiety, because their feelings go beyond mere fear - they experience overwhelming feelings of fear, panic, discomfort, etc. in social situations. These feelings may be accompanied by physical symptoms such as sweating, shaking, breathing difficulties, etc. (I'm sure you can read up about this). Even contemplating engaging in a particular social situation may bring on such feelings and/physical symptoms.

As regards seeking help, I've been told that counselling and (particularly) CBT are the most effective methods of treating social anxiety, coupled with medication (if necessary). There is plenty of help and support out there for overcoming this particular form of anxiety, that's for sure!

I hope this is of some help to you,

Take care x

P.S. Don't be afraid to seek help if you think you need it, even if it's only to reassure yourself

Thank you sooo much for your advice. I'm currently thinking along the lines of using self-help methods and talking to close family members about it.
Original post by theclimb
Thank you sooo much for your advice. I'm currently thinking along the lines of using self-help methods and talking to close family members about it.

No problem. You're doing the right thing in being proactive and letting your family know what's going on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest