The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Astral Weeks
I was suprised at how many colleges actually offer places to people that they had pooled themselves. Almost 1/5 of all pool offers.
Errm. It's not really surprising - it's the recommended procedure. College are supposed to pool the bottom 20% of the candidates that they would otherwise have made offers to. Then they fish in the pool to see if there's anyone better. If they don't find anyone better, they have preference until 5pm today to take their own candidates back out of the pool.
To everyone who's upset they've been pooled - try to look on it as a positive thing. Yes, we have to wait, but isn't it better to know that Cambridge thinks we're good enough to merit a place, even if we don't end up with one? And I've been looking at last year's figures...around 2, 800 were pooled last year out of the 12,000 approx. who weren't given first choice college offers. If it's similar this year - it's not bad at all, is it, being in the 2,800? I'm just gonna see how it goes...although I hope I don't have to be interviewed again :/.

Good luck to everybody who's been pooled!:biggrin:
Reply 22
i got rejected but i had 9A*s, and UMS averaging 97%, 94%,and 93%.

and i didn't think my interviws went THAT badly!!

how come i wasn't auto-pooled??? :frown:
Reply 23
Name: ecila
Subject: nat sci
Pooled by: Clare
Does that college still have an interest in you? dont think so "we are unable to offer you a place"
Auto-pooled? I qualify for it, so probably.
Reply 24
Name: Trish
Subject: Geography
Pooled by: Magdalene
Does that college still have an interest in you: The letter said my application was still under consideration.
Auto-pooled? No, only 3A*s, but average of over 90%.
Reply 25
Subject: History
Does that college still have an interest in you? Doesn't look like it.
Auto-pooled? Don't come close to meeting those criteria, so doubtful.
grumballcake
Errm. It's not really surprising - it's the recommended procedure. College are supposed to pool the bottom 20% of the candidates that they would otherwise have made offers to. Then they fish in the pool to see if there's anyone better. If they don't find anyone better, they have preference until 5pm today to take their own candidates back out of the pool.

Well it is if you dont have that information to hand...:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info.
Reply 27
Name: Luciano
Subject: MML
Pooled by: Christ's
Does that college still have an interest in you? Didn't really read the letter very closely..
Auto-pooled? I don't meet the GCSE criterion so probably not
Reply 28
Subject: SPS
Pooled by: King's
Does that college still have an interest in you? Don't think so
Auto-pooled? I reckon so, i meet all the criteria

I can't understand what the other applicants must have been like though, if the above quote about the bottom 20% getting pooled is true - academic demigods?!!
Subject: NatSci.
Does that college still have an interest in you? I'll assume not!
Auto-pooled? I meet the requirements, so probably.
Reply 30
Name: Dan
Subject: Philosophy
Pooled by: Tit Hall
Does that college still have an interest in you? Presume not, says I'm placed in Pool, not that college is 'not able to make offer 'at this time'
Auto-pooled? Missed by one A* at GCSE, does that count?
Reply 31
Name: louise
Subject: natsci (physical)
Pooled by: caius
Does that college still have an interest in you? i assume not
Auto-pooled? think so
Reply 32
Minthumbug
i got rejected but i had 9A*s, and UMS averaging 97%, 94%,and 93%.

and i didn't think my interviws went THAT badly!!

how come i wasn't auto-pooled??? :frown:

E-mail them and ask? Were they the 3 most relevant ASs? Did you do any other ASs?
Subject: Economics
Pooled by: Emmanuel
Does that college still have an interest in you? Don't think so
Auto-pooled? I don't meet the '90% in each 3 of my best/most relevant subjects' so no.
Reply 34
Subject: Economics
Pooled by: Fitzwilliam
Does that college still have an interest in you? I don't know
Auto-pooled? No
LizzieGC

I can't understand what the other applicants must have been like though, if the above quote about the bottom 20% getting pooled is true - academic demigods?!!

Uh-oh......
Reply 36
Name: Petro
Subject: Natsci
Pooled by: Christs
Does that college still have an interest in you? Nah don't think so
Auto-pooled? No my GCSEs and AS's are just under
Reply 37
sebbie
E-mail them and ask? Were they the 3 most relevant ASs? Did you do any other ASs?

I want to, but o my rejection letter it specifically states "As stated in the College's policy, we are unable to engage in any discussion with candidates who havefailed to recieve an offer... Any such approaches to the College will be directed to the candidates school"

I suppose I don't have a lot to lose if I do contact them, but what does the last line mean? Doubt I'd actually get in, but still want to clear this up!

I applied for Architecture - Emma, and I do Maths, Physics, Art and F.maths. would have thought maths, art and phys were the most important right?
Reply 38
Name: James
Subject: Maths
Does that college still have an interest in you?: Doubt it, as Clare never take maths applicants from the pool
Auto-pooled?: Don't have grades, but the form says that u are auto-pooled if your interview score is 7 or greater, surely anyone worth pooling is bound to have this, meaning virtually everyone pooled is auto-pooled. Also, something i read said about admissions tutors being able to recomend certain candidates and that pooled applicants are sorted into categories, is this true?
Reply 39
yup, see the 2nd post in this thread. its from the handbook.

Latest

Trending

Trending