The Student Room Group

Where can I find Winter pooling statistics for each Cambridge college?

I have been trying to gauge Cambridge college choices by difficulty, and want to be rest assured that I can trust the winter pooling process when applying to a college.
For example, the computer science admission statistics for 2022 show that 320 students applied for computer science at Churchill and only 15 offers were made, due to its popularity. Whilst Cambridge's official statistics website shows how many of those offers were made by the winter pool, it doesn't show how many applicants to a college were winter pooled by their respective college.
Ideally, in a perfect scenario, the sum of the pooled applicants, and direct offers in proportion to the number of applicants should be around the same for every college.
Sorry if this question has been asked around a lot, and thank you in advance!
Original post by Anonymous
I have been trying to gauge Cambridge college choices by difficulty, and want to be rest assured that I can trust the winter pooling process when applying to a college.
For example, the computer science admission statistics for 2022 show that 320 students applied for computer science at Churchill and only 15 offers were made, due to its popularity. Whilst Cambridge's official statistics website shows how many of those offers were made by the winter pool, it doesn't show how many applicants to a college were winter pooled by their respective college.
Ideally, in a perfect scenario, the sum of the pooled applicants, and direct offers in proportion to the number of applicants should be around the same for every college.
Sorry if this question has been asked around a lot, and thank you in advance!

The numbers are statistically meaningless. The numbers vary per year, and there are always individual stories behind the single digit numbers that move. There are numbers floating around, but it isn't sound to base decisions on them because next year could be quite different (especially if candidates that don't understand the process and the nature of the numbers try to use them to direct their applications).
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply!
This makes a lot more sense, thank you. At the scale of only 5-10 people numbers can definitely vary. Would that mean there is no added risk to applying to an oversubscribed college therefore, or can we never be certain? Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending