The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy interview @ Uni of Essex, any preparation tips?

Pretty much the title, the uni of Essex is the first of the uni's to get back to me offering me an interview which im excited and nervous about. This will be my first sort of formal interview for anything so i am pretty scared.

What sort of questions may be asked and how should i go about preparing them?
I also haven't had much subject specific work experience but I have worked with special needs students in my school, particularly those who struggle socially and mentally- would this count as work experience?
I know quite a lot about speech and language therapy currently but would it be worth doing more research?

My interview is next week so if anyone could give me any advice that would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:
Original post by Hazel.exe
Pretty much the title, the uni of Essex is the first of the uni's to get back to me offering me an interview which im excited and nervous about. This will be my first sort of formal interview for anything so i am pretty scared.

I also haven't had much subject specific work experience but I have worked with special needs students in my school, particularly those who struggle socially and mentally- would this count as work experience?
I know quite a lot about speech and language therapy currently but would it be worth doing more research?

My interview is next week so if anyone could give me any advice that would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:

Hello!

I would like to say well done for getting an interview for Speech and Language Therapy! Its a great course to be part of.

Some top tips I would give is:

Being Nervous is not always a bad thing, as this helps to show that you care!

Having some experience is fantastic, and being able to talk about this and the skills you learnt will be great. Sometimes its not always about knowing lots, but can you talk about what you do know.

Taking some time to research the course, and placements is always great to familiarise yourself.

An interview is also about getting to know the person, so try show that - be yourself 😊

Good luck for your interview! I wish you all the best!!

Essex Official Rep - Morgan ✨😁

Make sure you know the NHS Values and 6 Cs of Care, and try to relate them to your work experience:

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/en/nhs-staffing-pool-hub/working-in-healthcare/what-are-the-nhs-values

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/nhs-staffing-pool-hub/working-in-healthcare/the-6-cs-of-care
Reply 3
Original post by EssexOfficialRep
Hello!

I would like to say well done for getting an interview for Speech and Language Therapy! Its a great course to be part of.

Some top tips I would give is:

Being Nervous is not always a bad thing, as this helps to show that you care!

Having some experience is fantastic, and being able to talk about this and the skills you learnt will be great. Sometimes its not always about knowing lots, but can you talk about what you do know.

Taking some time to research the course, and placements is always great to familiarise yourself.

An interview is also about getting to know the person, so try show that - be yourself 😊

Good luck for your interview! I wish you all the best!!

Essex Official Rep - Morgan ✨😁

Thank you for replying! I'll definitely be taking this into account, I'm preparing for the interview now and it's all becoming a bit more real now haha! I'll try my best to be myself :smile:)
Thank you for replying! I'll definitely be taking this into account, I'm preparing for the interview now and it's all becoming a bit more real now haha! I'll try my best to be myself :smile:)

Good Luck!! ❤✨

Essex Official Rep - Morgan 😊

Quick Reply

Latest