The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Durham is FULL. It is a tiny city and there REALLY is not room. Many courses were moved to Stockton because no where large enough is up for sale. The new science building demonstrates how STRETCHED TO THE LIMIT Durham is. Elvet Riverside is at full capacity for lectures.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! But (and trying to avoid a huge debate), is the Stockton degree in Business still just going to show "Durham University"? I mean, it's not like a boss at a company is going to say "you went to Durham, but to STOCKTON Durham". I intend to work at a bank (BA first then gap year and then Masters) in the end, but am I at risk here?

There's no harder choice for Business at Durham with harder requirements apart from Business Economics (and I dont want Economics more than its already implicated in the Business study) so it won't mean I'm taking the EASIER way out will it?

Thanks again.

stupanico
Durham is FULL. It is a tiny city and there REALLY is not room. Many courses were moved to Stockton because no where large enough is up for sale. The new science building demonstrates how STRETCHED TO THE LIMIT Durham is. Elvet Riverside is at full capacity for lectures.
Reply 3
No the word "Stockton" does not appear. The physical location doesn't matter; it's the degree that counts.
Reply 4
Great. So when I end up with a good score and can apply to great universities for a Master's, its the degree that matters still.

stupanico
No the word "Stockton" does not appear. The physical location doesn't matter; it's the degree that counts.
Its a university of Durham degree, it just happens to be taught at a different campus. Many of your lecturers teach in both places i believe.
Reply 6
The lecturers who teach the undergraduate course are members of one of the top 18 business schools in Europe according to Financial Times.
Reply 7
Got it, thanks a lot to both of you. If you achieve a 2.1 or 1st I hear you can get a masters at Oxbridge, true or rumour?

Thanks mates.
Ahh this thread has answered a lot of my own questions about Queen's actually thanks :smile: I have a BCC offer to study Human Sciences and may choose Stockton as my firm after the post-application day. Anyone else for John Snow college?
No, but hi anyway!
Reply 10
Heheh, awesome! Helping me and others too =)

I am applying to Durham.....but actually want to go to York.....don't think I'll get in though.
TheDutchy
Heheh, awesome! Helping me and others too =)

I am applying to Durham.....but actually want to go to York.....don't think I'll get in though.

does York do business?? cos i cant remember why i didnt apply there at the time?
Reply 12
Management at the York Management School. I want to do Business or Management....but would rather do Management and especially at York since it seems to have harder requirements (meaning better in my opinion!) :smile:

Rooftopcowboy
does York do business?? cos i cant remember why i didnt apply there at the time?
vickyrkenya
No, but hi anyway!

Hi! :biggrin: I actually made an open application as at the time of choosing Unis I hadn't visited the campus (:s-smilie: I know my bad!), and have been placed in Snow. Am I right in thinking all the rooms are ensuite? :smile:
loradora68
Hi! :biggrin: I actually made an open application as at the time of choosing Unis I hadn't visited the campus (:s-smilie: I know my bad!), and have been placed in Snow. Am I right in thinking all the rooms are ensuite? :smile:

all the rooms on the campus are ensuite. Though Snows are older and slightly smaller, and are also 10mins walk away from campus but they are still good for uni halls.

also advice to others reading this...Stephenson gets far more applications, so if you tick "stockton-Open" you are almost certain to get Snow to balance out the numbers.

there honestly isnt a lot of difference between the two though, but i personally think putting open is a waste of time, your best of visiting and deciding which one youd rather be in.
Rooftopcowboy
all the rooms on the campus are ensuite. Though Snows are older and slightly smaller, and are also 10mins walk away from campus but they are still good for uni halls.also advice to others reading this...Stephenson gets far more applications, so if you tick "stockton-Open" you are almost certain to get Snow to balance out the numbers.

there honestly isnt a lot of difference between the two though, but i personally think putting open is a waste of time, your best of visiting and deciding which one youd rather be in.

To be honest the distance doesn't bother me and as you said there isn't a lot of difference between them whereas at Sussex (the only other Uni really in competition with Durham) you seem to have a real mixed bag of accomodation dependent on your budget and from what I've heard the higher end rooms are in super-high demand. I shall be visiting on the 27th Feb though and hopefully it will solve my dilemma! :wink:
Thanks for the advice by the way Rooftopcowboy! :smile:
Reply 17
There's positives and negatives to both. Snow is fine in the warmer months but getting up in the winter to trek over for a 9am lecture in the snow and ice can be off putting. However the gym is based at snow and Bells is close for shopping. Stevo is 90 seconds (I've timed it) from lectures and newer, larger rooms, the furniture inside is better as well.

Latest