The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

St John's College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

d3lirious
im a filipino guy, shortish black hair lol how bout u

seeing as there is so much free time between interviews im sure we'll prob end up havin a chat

I'm a girl :eek: lol (everyone on here always assumes I'm a chinese guy because of my username (lei) but l.e.i.a. are actually my initials and my name is laura!) Anyways hmm there's nothing really that distinguishing about me - um longish light brown hair with blonde bits, brown eyes, 5'7" and i'm on the chubby side!

we should definately have a chat as I think i'll probably be at a loss of what to do with all the free time, so look forward to seeing you there!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 41
^^ The JCR at St John's is good, they will have lots of stuff organised, so don't worry too much about that.

Good luck to everyone applying, and if you get the room in Tommy White staircase 1, room 1, treat it well - it's mine!
To be sung very loudly in the Lamb and Flag:

I'd rather be a tab than at John's,
I'd rather be a tab than at John's,
Oh I'd rather be a tab,
I'd rather be a tab,
I'd rather be a tab than at John's!
Reply 43
hmm, history and politics eh Blur303, I reckon youll have Dr Whyte or Dr Vale for the history interview, but no idea who you will have for politics, Kizer could probably warrant a guess though.
Reply 44
^^ I certainly could, but it wouldn't be fair.
Woo look at all the potential freshers for next year!! Seriously guys don't worry, it can be stressful in the extreme so relax as much as possible. And I hope you're a lively lot this year...it amazes me how many of the freshers at John's WON'T dance in the bops. They just stand there. I want MORE lively mo fo's please.
In keeping with the new trend I thought I'd wave the flag for St John's! Let's start by getting together a list of members who are at St John's, post in here and I'll add you to the list! :smile:

Current students of St John's

Agrippina - Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, 1st year
Patrick7777 - Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, 1st year
Kizer - PPE, 1st year
raven100 - History and Economics, 1st year

Students holding offers for St John's

darthsidious - PPE, 2007
Blur303 - history, 2007
Trepur99 - PPE, 2007
auroragrace - Law, 2007
eviloldhag - Physiology and Psychology, 2007
DumberChild - Chemistry, 2007

Useful St John's links

St John's College website
Yay. PPE, 2007.
Reply 48
History, 2007!
Reply 49
PPE 2007 although I'm not sure you really want a list of potential st johns students. Never mind, it feels so good writing it!
Good luck with getting the grades guys. :smile:
Reply 51
Ive been missed out :frown:

History and Economics, 1st year
Law 2007. Please add me.
I've added you two :smile:
Reply 54
Physiology and Psychology 2007!
Reply 55
I'm really looking forward to the music life at st johns but I was wondering how the choir works. My dad insisted we bought the CD, and it seemed to suggest that it was possible to be part of it without being an actual choral scholar.
Could anyone fill me in on the details and maybe a bit about music at st johns in general.
Thanks!
Will
Trepur99
I'm really looking forward to the music life at st johns but I was wondering how the choir works. My dad insisted we bought the CD, and it seemed to suggest that it was possible to be part of it without being an actual choral scholar.
Could anyone fill me in on the details and maybe a bit about music at st johns in general.
Thanks!
Will

yeah, you can be a member of the choir without being a choral scholar, but you do have to audition for it (hence I'm not a member! :wink:). There's also an orchestra, joint with St Anne's, which is non-auditioning. Would have been a member of that but I'm in another choir on that night, the Oxford Student Chorus - which you should come and try out (I'm the manager!)! :smile:
Reply 57
Wow, if you're the manager of the other choir but couldn't get into the st johns choir, how good do you need to be!? I've been singing for a while and I'm got grade 8 distinction, would that even be good enough?
Trepur99
Wow, if you're the manager of the other choir but couldn't get into the st johns choir, how good do you need to be!? I've been singing for a while and I'm got grade 8 distinction, would that even be good enough?

You don't need to be good at singing to be the manager of a choir! :wink:

I couldn't say tbh - but Grade 8 distinction I would imagine would suffice!
Reply 59
Does anyone know how the bursary system for music lessons works at Oxford. I saw that they give 5 music bursaries a year, does this mean full lessons paid for by the college for a full year or all three years.
Also, do they normally go to the music students, or is there a chance that a non-music student might have a chance of getting a bursary, as I'd like very much to try!!
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending