The Student Room Group

Physics P2 unofficial mark scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Speed-distance time graph.Speed = distance/time = 170/10 = 1.70s (2 marks)

As somebody else has said, I think the answer to this was around 22.5m/s (can't remember exactly) as you had to find the gradient of the steepest part.

KE and GPE

before this question there was 3 or 4 marks i believe

I can't remember exactly but it was about forces acting on a rocket and:
what is the difference between speed and velocity?
-velocity has a direction
was the rocket increasing or decreasing in velocity for the p2 paper ?
Reply 42
Original post by MrTechGamer
was the rocket increasing or decreasing in velocity for the p2 paper ?

Velocity would be increasing due to there being a resultant force.
Reply 43
Reps = motivation.

Once we hit 25 reps I'll post P3 :wink:
Original post by Decklan
Reps = motivation.

Once we hit 25 reps I'll post P3 :wink:

pls upload now
[QUOTE="Decklan;56067645"]Velocity would be increasing due to there being a resultant force.[/QUOTEare you sure thats right , i mean if your right that would be great because thats what i put down , but someone on the forum suggested that the velocity is decreasing due to air resistance( which doesnt make sense to me)
Original post by Decklan
Velocity would be increasing due to there being a resultant force.

Nope, it would be decreasing... There was to upwards force, only that of air resistance, hence a downwards resultant force and an overall deceleration.
Reply 47
Original post by gecko242
Nope, it would be decreasing... There was to upwards force, only that of air resistance, hence a downwards resultant force and an overall deceleration.

Not quite sure which force was the overall resultant force, but if there was upward force then it would be increasing that would be if question didn't explicitly state air resistance would have an affect.
Original post by Decklan
Not quite sure which force was the overall resultant force, but if there was upward force then it would be increasing that would be if question didn't explicitly state air resistance would have an affect.

Problem here is that there was no upwards force. The rocket was launched with compressed air, and had no propulsion method of its own. The only forces acting upon it were air resistance and gravity, both downwards.
Problem here is that there was no upwards force. The rocket was launched with compressed air, and had no propulsion method of its own. The only forces acting upon it were air resistance and gravity, both downwards.

I put down that velocity was increasing due to accelaration and increase in speed . I think that this would be correct as initially the rocket would accelarate , and it takes time for the resistive forces(air) to become equal to the weight of the rocket and it doesnt happen instantly .Think of a car.It would accelarate , till the resistive forces balance the driving force , then it would travel at constant velocity.

p.s there must have been some force to allow the rocket to be launched upwards (resultant force) otherwise it wouldn't move and no air resistance would happen in the first place.
I put down that velocity was increasing due to accelaration and increase in speed . I think that this would be correct as initially the rocket would accelarate , and it takes time for the resistive forces(air) to become equal to the weight of the rocket and it doesnt happen instantly .Think of a car.It would accelarate , till the resistive forces balance the driving force , then it would travel at constant velocity.

The rocket is only accelerating off the launch tube, from there it slows down due to air resistance, its like a bullet from a gun. Since the rocket has no additional method of thrusting it cannot increase its own velocity.
For the majority of its flight (90%) it would be decreasing in velocity.
The rocket is only accelerating off the launch tube, from there it slows down due to air resistance, its like a bullet from a gun. Since the rocket has no additional method of thrusting it cannot increase its own velocity.

Did you remember exactly what the question asked ?
Reply 54

instead of putting Coulomb, could you put C? or did you have to put it in word form
When the rocket takes off, there is a large thrustfrom the engine but very little drag because the
rocket is moving slowly and air resistance is small.
The forces are unbalanced because there is a
large upward force but only a small downward force
and so the rocket has a large acceleration
in the direction of the larger force (upwards).
As the rocket gets faster,
the drag increases and acceleration decreases
until the thrust and drag are equal in size.
Now the forces are balanced
and the rocket will continue with a constant velocity.
The motion of the rocketis shown on the velocity - time graph below.The red curve shows acceleration changing from large to small.
The blue line shows constant velocity.
This is the same shape of velocity - time graph
as a falling object reaching its terminal velocity. P.s (In technical terms you could be right but for GCSE standard type questions they won't expect you to think to such a high degree of thinking , hence if your explanation is valid you should get the mark)
However the rocket was not launched by an engine but rather by compressed air i believe. This does not provide a constant thrust for a longer period of time but rather a short sharp burst, accelerating the rocket very quickly, but from there it starts to decelerate.
Original post by TaraMott
I also ticked graph B for the graphs on the last page but many are saying that its incorrect ?

I'm 99% sure it is right because that's the only graph that reached a terminal velocity
However the rocket was not launched by an engine but rather by compressed air i believe. This does not provide a constant thrust for a longer period of time but rather a short sharp burst, accelerating the rocket very quickly, but from there it starts to decelerate.

If it said compressed air then you are probaly right , but in the spec it doesnt say that we should know how compressed air can change how the velocity of a rocket alters , so i think that they will accept increasing velocity and your explantion but reasoned.
If it said compressed air then you are probaly right , but in the spec it doesnt say that we should know how compressed air can change how the velocity of a rocket alters , so i think that they will accept increasing velocity and your explantion but reasoned.

Yeah that sounds reasonable...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending