The Student Room Group

AQA Media Studies MEST 3 - 5th June

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Has anyone got any good theories or key concepts for media identities? I have been watching a lot of tedx talks videos on Youtube which are pretty helpful but just wondered if anyone had a pretty solid foundation for identities? struggling as its new and don't know what to expect.

Thanks!
what are peoples predictions for questions and what media products they will be ?! I'm scared
Original post by josh_howard96
what are peoples predictions for questions and what media products they will be ?! I'm scared

One is definitely a moving image text that's for sure. The questions are usually around media language, e media and current debates
Thank God I'm not the only one stressing with this exam - to me it feels like a memory test of everything... ever. Okay, a bit dramatic but the content of the exam is from an endless choice. For section A my media lecturer seems to be focusing on politics in the media (could be possible due to the general election being a current topic) - anyone have any guesses of what the texts might be? I could be completely wrong! (and @alconnow is right in saying at least one is moving image!)

Also, @StudentChloe - I'm not 100% on identity since I'm doing new/digital media for SB but consider a number of things you associate yourself with! However, reference a wide range of identities if necessary (i.e. LGBT+ - you could refer to media texts such as Orange Is The New Black or L Fest or Dallas Buyers Club; the Black Community - you could refer to the channel BET International (Black Entertainment TV) or current topic 'Black Lives Matter') - sorry it's a bit vague but they are just some ideas!

Good luck, everyone!
Can someone give me examples of identities please? I have no idea what they are because my teacher is so bad and can someone give me tips on how to structure and answer each of the questions for part a? Also a sturcture for part b would be nice. Many thanks
Reply 25
Original post by BorussiaDortmund
Can someone give me examples of identities please? I have no idea what they are because my teacher is so bad and can someone give me tips on how to structure and answer each of the questions for part a? Also a sturcture for part b would be nice. Many thanks

I think the easiest way to talk about the identities within the media is to talk about certain stereotypes that are present in the media. Things like: Post 9/11 views on islam, representation of gender, youth and moral panics and representation of race. It's going to link well to how media represents an identity. hope this helps
Hey,

is anyone doing their case study on New and digital media? our teacher told us not to do the identity question so I'm not too sure on what the case study should be? Im just getting examples of the impact on the TV industry and things like that but other than that I'm not too sure? Anyone have any ideas?
Reply 27
I did a case study on the effect of social networks on business. It works well because you can use a wide range of examples like the fact Netflix made the quick switch over to digital streaming and because block buster didn't make the change auxin enough they went out of business. That topic might help you to expand on some ideas:smile:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to introduce concepts and theories in section a? Do you think Daniel Bhattacharion is a good theorist to use in the new and digital media question??
(edited 8 years ago)
Could someone explain to me what this thing is about it being the first year of identity or something?
Original post by Katherineoddy
Could someone explain to me what this thing is about it being the first year of identity or something?

Hi, yes our year is the first year that AQA have decided to change the section B question topics from new media technology and representation to NMT and identity.

Identity is much harder than representation. Hope this helps!
Original post by georginaclary
Hi, yes our year is the first year that AQA have decided to change the section B question topics from new media technology and representation to NMT and identity.

Identity is much harder than representation. Hope this helps!

Ah, so instead of there being two questions to choose from on NMT and two on Representation, It's two questions on identity?

That's okay then. I'm doing NMT! Hopefully the questions will be as nice as they have been in previous years :frown:
Ah, so instead of there being two questions to choose from on NMT and two on Representation, It's two questions on identity?

That's okay then. I'm doing NMT! Hopefully the questions will be as nice as they have been in previous years :frown:

Yep that's right! I'm going to do NMT too, there's so much more to talk about and the questions will be nice :smile:
Original post by georginaclary
Yep that's right! I'm going to do NMT too, there's so much more to talk about and the questions will be nice :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:

It's not going to affect section A is it?

I'm V nervous that they'll give us a question about Democracy or something in Section B!!
Original post by curiousginger
Hey,

is anyone doing their case study on New and digital media? our teacher told us not to do the identity question so I'm not too sure on what the case study should be? Im just getting examples of the impact on the TV industry and things like that but other than that I'm not too sure? Anyone have any ideas?

My case study sounds quite similar to yours! I'm using The Walking Dead as a specific example because there's so much NMT to talk about with it! I have links to Amazon, iTunes, YouTube, Video Games, real I've events that benefit producers etc.

I'm just hoping the question is a nice one and not about democracy or ownership and control!!!
Reply 35
Original post by BorussiaDortmund

aqa changed the question from representations to identities because i assume identities is more difficult than representations; in my opinion it is anyway! identities does involve representations in the media but is more centered on how audiences/cultural groups use the media to construct their identity (for example, directioners and how they present themselves on social media as well as their image in mainstream media).

our teacher hasnt really taught us much (as much as i'd like anyway) so im a little stuck also. i read the teacher guidance notes on identities to help me though, hopefully it'll help you in some way too! http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2570-W-MEST3-TG.PDF
Thank you so much! :smile:

It's not going to affect section A is it?

I'm V nervous that they'll give us a question about Democracy or something in Section B!!

Nope it won't affect section A thankfully!

I know I'm totally dreading weird questions, I had to Google what Democracy was just now!!! I really hope it isn't about politics at all, it's really dull and I find it confusing to understand!
Reply 37
Original post by StudentChloe
Hi! Has anyone got any good theories or key concepts for media identities? I have been watching a lot of tedx talks videos on Youtube which are pretty helpful but just wondered if anyone had a pretty solid foundation for identities? struggling as its new and don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

i looked up the teacher guidance notes for this topic and aqa gave a list of possible theories, debates and issues to refer to in it:

the changing roles and power of audiences
the notion of active and passive audiences
pluralist versus Marxist ideas
the role of social media and audiences as producers
postmodern ideas about fragmented identities
globalisation
post-colonial theory and cultural imperialism
feminism and post-feminism
queer theory
celebrity and fan culture.

i think it depends on your case study but i think one that would apply to nearly all identities case studies would be hegemonic views/democracy/marxism, particularly with minorities. hope that helps a bit! heres the teachers guidance notes if you want to have a look also, theres more helpful info on there http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2570-W-MEST3-TG.PDF
Original post by yasuho
i looked up the teacher guidance notes for this topic and aqa gave a list of possible theories, debates and issues to refer to in it:

the changing roles and power of audiences
the notion of active and passive audiences
pluralist versus Marxist ideas
the role of social media and audiences as producers
postmodern ideas about fragmented identities
globalisation
post-colonial theory and cultural imperialism
feminism and post-feminism
queer theory
celebrity and fan culture.

i think it depends on your case study but i think one that would apply to nearly all identities case studies would be hegemonic views/democracy/marxism, particularly with minorities. hope that helps a bit! heres the teachers guidance notes if you want to have a look also, theres more helpful info on there http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2570-W-MEST3-TG.PDF

This guide thing is just for the identities questions, right? Is there one for NMT?
Reply 39
This guide thing is just for the identities questions, right? Is there one for NMT?

couldnt find a teaching guidance for nmt unfortunately; i think identities only has one because we're the first year doing it.

however, theres some info on the specification, starting from page 16. theres a list of theories and debates for you to consider on page 17. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2570-W-SP-15.PDF hope that helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending