The Student Room Group

Which is better: 4 A Levels or 3 A Levels and 2 AS Levels?

Which is better, 4 complete A Levels or 3 A Levels and 2 AS Levels

Say you get all A's in 4 A Levels, that will give you the same UCAS points as getting all A's in 3 A Levels and 2 AS Levels...
but which is better to have, which do unis prefer?

Or is there no point, and it would be wise just to study 3 A Levels to make sure you do well?
Original post by Scaresed
Which is better, 4 complete A Levels or 3 A Levels and 2 AS Levels

Say you get all A's in 4 A Levels, that will give you the same UCAS points as getting all A's in 3 A Levels and 2 AS Levels...
but which is better to have, which do unis prefer?

Or is there no point, and it would be wise just to study 3 A Levels to make sure you do well?

4 A levels is better, it shows a much higher level of understanding of 4 subjects than 3 A levels and 2 AS levels, it is easy to get an A at AS, I cannot say this is as true for A2.
Reply 2
4 A-levels is best from those options. However you only generally need 3 A-levels for uni.
Reply 3
Most universities require 3 A levels but some accept 2 A levels.
Original post by Green22
Most universities require 3 A levels but some accept 2 A levels.

I am not sure that you got what the OP was asking, he wishes to know whether 4 A level is better than 3 A levels & 2 AS levels, no mention of 2 A levels. Also Imperial sometimes asks for 4 A levels.
Reply 5
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I am not sure that you got what the OP was asking, he wishes to know whether 4 A level is better than 3 A levels & 2 AS levels, no mention of 2 A levels. Also Imperial sometimes asks for 4 A levels.

Tbh, it does not really matter how much you take because 3 A levels are required for almost anything but I would do 4 A levels to be on the safe side.
Reply 6
Why not just focus on 3 and aim for A*A*A* that would be better than AAAA or AAAaa

Quick Reply

Latest