The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, the exam board made the questions according to the syllabus. They cannot and wouldn't put questions that the GCSE students would never be able to work out.

However, as the students have found it hard and the overall results may be not as good and therefore the exam board may lower the grade boundaries.

I think a petition was not necessary.
Reply 2
Original post by MsFahima
To be honest, the exam board made the questions according to the syllabus. They cannot and wouldn't put questions that the GCSE students would never be able to work out.

However, as the students have found it hard and the overall results may be not as good and therefore the exam board may lower the grade boundaries.

I think a petition was not necessary.

I completely agree. The justification for the petition is that some of the questions were A Level questions, which I think they definitely weren't!
Obviously there are more challenging questions but it is all on the GCSE spec
Original post by yolande1
I completely agree. The justification for the petition is that some of the questions were A Level questions, which I think they definitely weren't!
Obviously there are more challenging questions but it is all on the GCSE spec

The exam board will never give A-Levels questions. The students need to toughen up.
Original post by yolande1
so this petition has been going around, directed towards edexcel to lower the grade boundaries for todays maths paper 1. Over 10,000 people have signed it.
Thoughts? Is a petition necessary? or even sensible?

Why do they need to petition it
The top 20ish% of candidates will get an A*, and so on
That's how they always do the grade boundaries
I don't see the problem
A petition will have no effect; grade boundaries are made depending on how everyone did, they don't just choose a random number. It's kinda funny though how huge the hype is over the exam though :P I mean yeah it was hard but it wasn't THAT bad!
I think it's because it wasn't a 'typical edexcel exam' there were no circle theorems, vectors and simultaneous equations like all the past papers
Original post by StressedByDay
I think it's because it wasn't a 'typical edexcel exam' there were no circle theorems, vectors and simultaneous equations like all the past papers

Was so prepared and looking forwards to those questions!! :frown: Do you think they will come up for the non cal instead?
If you cant answer the questions you shouldn't get higher grades, simple as. It was an easy paper for many so i hope they dont lower the boundaries, its unfair on people who actually do well in maths.
If the exam was difficult then the grade boundaries will be low anyway. Any idiot who has signed this petition obviously has no idea how exam marking works.
Original post by Kitty-meaw
Was so prepared and looking forwards to those questions!! :frown: Do you think they will come up for the non cal instead?

Circle theorems and vectors will come up.
Reply 11
I doubt people are being fair at all; just looking at themselves and how hard they found it doesn't call for a petition to lower grade boundaries. Considering that quite a few people found it difficult, the grade boundaries will naturally be lower.
Anyway I ****ed up anyway, it's my fault , but just gotta do well in the calculator paper.
Reply 13
Anyway I ****ed up anyway, it's my fault , but just gotta do well in the calculator paper.

Tell me about it SIMULTANEOUS EQUATIONS BETTER COME UP!

There's another exam on Monday, expect circle theorems, vectors and simultaneous equations among other topics ..........

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by tengentoppa
If the exam was difficult then the grade boundaries will be low anyway. Any idiot who has signed this petition obviously has no idea how exam marking works.

100% this. It'll all be put onto a Gaussian distribution anyway, the grade boundaries will be lower if it was a more difficult exam.
bump get it to 100,000 after my s1 flop
Reply 17
Where can I sign it guys?
Reply 18
My son sat the exam and he has studied really hard and was predicted an A. He walked out saying it was really hard and he could not do some of the questions. If you don't have a child sitting the exam you do not & can not really say the students need to toughen up!
The reason people are petitioning to lower the boundaries isn't because they don't understand the maths, its because the questions were poorly worded. I took that exam and have been getting A's and A*s but I feel slightly cheated as the questions vagueness confused me. I think it's unfair to say it was an easy paper, it came down to if you think in the same way the examiner does and see the connections between the question and information given.

Latest

Trending

Trending