The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EMM1999
Like I previously said, I worked the hardest on my maths, so don't say I didn't do enough. I guess there's only a certain amount of revision you can do. But either way you can't predict what is going to be in the paper.

You don't have to predict what's going to be in a paper to do well. Exams aren't supposed to be something you just memorise - you have to understand. Anyway, if you say you're an A* student, I doubt three marks will make a big difference. You found the rest of the paper ok, didn't you?
Original post by Alan-K
You have no right to say who is or isn't an A*/A/B/C/D/E/F/G/U student. Please stop demoralising others. I am aware it is common amongst the TSR Community to belittle others.

Thank you! You are completely right it is demoralising.
[QUOTE="aahmad;56670197"]
Original post by amranhassan
i got 37 out 100 on this paper what do i need on mondays paper to scrape a B[/QUOTE
idek u need 90+. Good luck man but it should be easier.

dont i need like 65 becausse 95 last year was B and grade boundaries are going to be lower this year right
Original post by thesilence
You don't have to predict what's going to be in a paper to do well. Exams aren't supposed to be something you just memorise - you have to understand. Anyway, if you say you're an A* student, I doubt three marks will make a big difference. You found the rest of the paper ok, didn't you?

You are right about how exams aren't supposed to be something you memorise, but the reality is that if you can memorise things well you are going to get an A/A*. Maths doesn't conform to that statement but it does to an extent. But subjects like history (You can memorise a whole A4 sheet of dates and get an A*) geography you can memorise the textbook and get an A/A*. Science you can memorise a revision guide an get an A/A* and that is just to name a few.
[QUOTE="amranhassan;56671155"]
Original post by aahmad

dont i need like 65 becausse 95 last year was B and grade boundaries are going to be lower this year right

For a B normally it is hovering between high 90's to around 110 at the highest across both papers. However I am not in any way predicting the grade boundaries and neither should anyone on TSR regardless of their "credentials" or parent's "credentials". I saw some kid claiming their mother was an "Edexcel Exams Officer" and apparently she knew the boundaries which is jack because like others have said, the papers need to be marked first for the boundaries to be made.
Original post by Alan-K
You have no right to say who is or isn't an A*/A/B/C/D/E/F/G/U student. Please stop demoralising others. I am aware it is common amongst the TSR Community to belittle others.

I'm fed up with people thinking three marks will make a difference. If s/he did the rest of the paper well, they'll still get an A*, won't they? Since they think they're whole grade depends on this question, might as well support their opinion. If people are so determined to make excuses instead of taking responsibility, why should I say I agree with them? I have my weaknesses and I wouldn't say that I'm perfect in maths, but I wouldn't blame the exam paper for my mistakes.
Original post by EMM1999
I did the exam and was predicted an A*, the past papers have all been at a standard that we are capable of doing, I revised from these past papers because then you get a close inclin into what may come up, therefore it is unfair that this paper was at a completely different standard because how are we meant to know to revise n2-n-90=0 which links with sweets? I worked the hardest on maths out of all my exams, so no one can say I need to work harder. To me it is sad that people think it's okay to play with our futures, I understand they have a duty to create an exam that will challenge us, but quite frankly it is unnecessary and unfair.

Please stop, just stop, it isn't unfair or unnecessary in the slightest. The question challenged students to understand the basics of joint probability without replacement, followed by some basic rearranging. The second part was easy, just a simple quadratic. The problem is that you clearly only seem to care about passing the exam, just knowing a method, NOT understanding the principles that you're putting into practice. If that's how you revise, that's your own fault, it isn't about revising hard, it's about revising smart and you clearly didn't do that.

Also lol at "playing with our future" calm down love they're ****ing gcse's.

Imho I feel that Edexcel should be doing more of these questions which are abstract and combine topics, they're clever and make students think, which should be the whole point of education really.
I'm fed up with people thinking three marks will make a difference. If s/he did the rest of the paper well, they'll still get an A*, won't they? Since they think they're whole grade depends on this question, might as well support their opinion. If people are so determined to make excuses instead of taking responsibility, why should I say I agree with them? I have my weaknesses and I wouldn't say that I'm perfect in maths, but I wouldn't blame the exam paper for my mistakes.

And many others are fed up of others saying people aren't X grade students. You're not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone either, you're making sweeping statements about an individual's personal ability and attainment. Allow me to re-iterate - You are not in the position to say people aren't A* students.
Original post by leinad2012
Please stop, just stop, it isn't unfair or unnecessary in the slightest. The question challenged students to understand the basics of joint probability without replacement, followed by some basic rearranging. The second part was easy, just a simple quadratic. The problem is that you clearly only seem to care about passing the exam, just knowing a method, NOT understanding the principles that you're putting into practice. If that's how you revise, that's your own fault, it isn't about revising hard, it's about revising smart and you clearly didn't do that.

Imho I feel that Edexcel should be doing more of these questions which are abstract and combine topics, they're clever and make students think, which should be the whole point of education really.

Exactly, people who complain about the question show that they can't demonstrate abstract thinking. Maybe they were stressed or put off by the wording. But how can you be a high level student if you can't do that or you say that the exam board shouldn't make you do that?
Original post by leinad2012

Don't call me love, it's patronising. Trust me I agree, that's why I said their duty is to challenge us. The problem for me, it makes me doubt myself. I'm not signing a petition, what good is gonna come from it, what's done is done. And also people revise in different ways, so your idea of 'smart revising' may be completely different to mine.
Reply 190
We'll most of the people across the country found it difficult and this is a fact. I don't know who you'll blame this to, maybe students or the education system but we found it hard.. Adults saying "OMG how can't you answer a question" is being nasty at this point. Everyone is stressed right now. You might find it easy, but vast majority of the students didn't...
Original post by Alan-K
And many others are fed up of others saying people aren't X grade students. You're not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone either, you're making sweeping statements about an individual's personal ability and attainment. Allow me to re-iterate - You are not in the position to say people aren't A* students.

She probably is an A* student (according to his predictions) but her comments showed that she couldn't connect the link between simple probability and an equation. And I know I was making a sweeping statement, just like his sweeping statement about the exam being unfair due to one question. I made a conclusion out of nothing for a reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
He probably is an A* student (according to his predictions) but his comments showed that he couldn't connect the link between simple probability and an equation. And I know I was making a sweeping statement, just like his sweeping statement about the exam being unfair due to one question. I made a conclusion out of nothing for a reason.

*she *her
(edited 8 years ago)
He probably is an A* student (according to his predictions) but his comments showed that he couldn't connect the link between simple probability and an equation. And I know I was making a sweeping statement, just like his sweeping statement about the exam being unfair due to one question. I made a conclusion out of nothing for a reason.

I don't blame anyone if they couldn't do that question especially under the stressful conditions (And it was pretty hot that day too). Although I certainly wouldn't blame the exam board because at the end of the day it is their duty to test students using challenging questions but I certainly think under stress even the students that get A*s in mocks might not be able to answer certain questions.
Original post by EMM1999
*she *her

Sorry, I tend to call everyone a he unless I know their gender.
Sorry, I tend to call everyone a he unless I know their gender.

Making a sweeping statement about that as well
Reply 196
Original post by EMM1999
I did the exam and was predicted an A*, the past papers have all been at a standard that we are capable of doing, I revised from these past papers because then you get a close inclin into what may come up, therefore it is unfair that this paper was at a completely different standard because how are we meant to know to revise n2-n-90=0 which links with sweets? I worked the hardest on maths out of all my exams, so no one can say I need to work harder. To me it is sad that people think it's okay to play with our futures, I understand they have a duty to create an exam that will challenge us, but quite frankly it is unnecessary and unfair.

How are they playing with our future? The questions were not a level questions. And what do you mean by revise n2-n-90?? Do you expect edexcel to tell you every equation in the exam? If you thought about it it was easy. The only hard question was the grain one
Original post by aahmad
How are they playing with our future? The questions were not a level questions. And what do you mean by revise n2-n-90?? Do you expect edexcel to tell you every equation in the exam? If you thought about it it was easy. The only hard question was the grain one

Ok
Original post by aahmad

A question someone else finds easy may be a question you find hard. Please stop saying "The only hard question was X" because I'm sure one day you will come across a question you can't answer and the joke will be on you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EMM1999
Making a sweeping statement about that as well

No, it has less letters so it's more convenient. And I changed it if it made you so mad.

Listen, I apologise for saying you weren't an A* student. I was trying to make a point but obviously I failed. It was wrong of me. I'm just one of those people who are harsh and don't sugar coat things. Again, I'm sorry.

Good luck on your next exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending