The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemum2015
My daughter took this exam and is predicted an A* in ten of the subjects she is taking. She also found the exam poorly worded and vague. So much so, that under exam conditions, she was unsure what the question required of her.The fact that so many people have now seen possible answers or been able to work out the questions does not say much, as they have had the time to do it. When you are under preasure and only have a few minutes per question, this can throw you. Her teacher has also said this question should not have been placed at question 19 in the paper and should noy have been placed at q19. If at all, it was so hard it should have been at the end. As a maths gcse marker, she believed this question was higher than a gcse standard question and the exam in itself was the hardest she has seen for 30yrs at this level. Therefore, unless you have sat down and done the question in the few minutes that it is required to be done in, it's possible you do not understand the situation. That fact that so many who actually took the exam, which i would like to point out was a higher tier paper, also believed these questions to be ambiguous and unfair speaks volumes.

I've said this previously, but Ofqual will get involved if the question was not appropriate for the paper, and also, you say it as though everyone found it hard - in which case, the grade boundaries will be lowered and so it won't matter. And if such a number were able to do it that the grade boundaries don't change, then it's not such an impossible question...
(edited 8 years ago)
Across a population of 260 in the Academy I study in, only 6 got the probability/quadratic equation right (which I believe to be question 19.) I believe that with the Mathematics A course only the top 5% of students may be awarded an A*. So if my academy were the sole candidates in this GCSE, 13 of them would receive an A*. So it doesn't really matter that such questions were exceptionally difficult because the large majority of the student population across the country would have got wrong (or even skipped) these questions. Regardless of what Pearson Edexcel has stated about the grade boundaries not changing, if my Academy and undoubtedly many schools across the school are to go by, grade boundaries will be lowered.
Original post by EwanatTSR
Across a population of 260 in the Academy I study in, only 6 got the probability/quadratic equation right (which I believe to be question 19.) I believe that with the Mathematics A course only the top 5% of students may be awarded an A*. So if my academy were the sole candidates in this GCSE, 13 of them would receive an A*. So it doesn't really matter that such questions were exceptionally difficult because the large majority of the student population across the country would have got wrong (or even skipped) these questions. Regardless of what Pearson Edexcel has stated about the grade boundaries not changing, if my Academy and undoubtedly many schools across the school are to go by, grade boundaries will be lowered.

What you've got to remember is that grade boundaries may not change, as the marks will also be UMSed appropriately...
I wonder if we could get a petition for FP3?:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 245
Don't worry guys - if everyone found the paper hard then they have to lower the grade boundaries anyway... There is no reason for signing a petition for it. An examiner board cannot lower the grade boundaries if people did well, can they? We must work hard for the Calculator exam tomorrow and we'll all be fine :smile:
Original post by oni176
We'll most of the people across the country found it difficult and this is a fact. I don't know who you'll blame this to, maybe students or the education system but we found it hard.. Adults saying "OMG how can't you answer a question" is being nasty at this point. Everyone is stressed right now. You might find it easy, but vast majority of the students didn't...

The whole point of the paper is that most of the country finds various parts difficult. The key word there is most - some people did not find it difficult. Hence this separates the grade boundaries.
My daughter took this exam and is predicted an A* in ten of the subjects she is taking. She also found the exam poorly worded and vague. So much so, that under exam conditions, she was unsure what the question required of her.The fact that so many people have now seen possible answers or been able to work out the questions does not say much, as they have had the time to do it. When you are under preasure and only have a few minutes per question, this can throw you. Her teacher has also said this question should not have been placed at question 19 in the paper and should noy have been placed at q19. If at all, it was so hard it should have been at the end. As a maths gcse marker, she believed this question was higher than a gcse standard question and the exam in itself was the hardest she has seen for 30yrs at this level. Therefore, unless you have sat down and done the question in the few minutes that it is required to be done in, it's possible you do not understand the situation. That fact that so many who actually took the exam, which i would like to point out was a higher tier paper, also believed these questions to be ambiguous and unfair speaks volumes.

That's all nice, but other teachers and markers have been quoted saying that is question was ably completed by their students.

Ofqual approve all exams as being within the specification. This question is one of those. Just because a question is number 19, an A* student is likely to have good exam technique and skip the question and come back to it if they were struggling.

We all have taken or are taking exams, and believe me we know what the pressure is like. Admittedly I didn't sit this exam, but I have sat 9 academic as level exams in the last 4 weeks - I understand the pressure.

What people need to do is read about how UMS works! Grade boundaries are not static or fixed numbers. Last year around 6% of Edexcel's GCSE entrants achieved an A*, and approximately the same amount will this year. Grade boundaries are affected by the statistical performances of students not by petitions. This means if a candidate works at an A* standard, they will be in the percentile that achieves an A*. This isn't 80/100 or any fixed number, it will be about the top 6% of marks.

If candidates revise properly and can achieve an A* in maths GCSE, it doesn't matter if the paper is "hard" or contains "impossible" questions, because they should still be in that top 6%.

Seriously, schools need to start telling their students how the UMS system works!

No no, but your academy isn't what to go by is it. They go by all the schools throughout the country. And some schools contain lots of students in the top percentile of the country, and - having asked those in the bottom set in my school who did this Linear GCSE paper instead of the 1/2 Certificate - about 95% of them did the question without a problem.

So just because everyone in some schools find the question difficult, does not mean that the same number of 'top students' in those schools compared to the 'top students' in other schools, will get that A*.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also can everyone just take a rein check and remember that this one question is worth 6 marks, 3 of which are deemed by most to be the challenging part. 3 marks out of a paper is not much. The other hard question (something about grain?) is only worth 5 marks. 8 marks in a paper is not very much to lose out of 100!

"Only a few minutes to answer each question", every year most decent students moan about having an hour left after finishing the paper, there is no time pressure at all.

The question is meant to be ambiguous as it's meant to only be answerable by students who have an in depth knowledge so can see the patterns and have a full understanding of the topic. Your daughter obviously didn't :smile:

Touch ironic that parents have been moaning for years that exams are too easy and now an exam board does something about it and puts in difficult questions they moan about them being too hard, make your mind up!!

Also if your defense is that the question was at the wrong place in the exam you really are just clutching at straws tbf and looking for an excuse
Original post by Blaz1ng
No no, but your academy isn't what to go by is it. They go by all the schools throughout the country. And some schools contain lots of students in the top percentile of the country, and - having asked those in the bottom set in my school who did this Linear GCSE paper instead of the 1/2 Certificate - about 95% of them did the question without a problem.

So just because everyone in some schools find the question difficult, does not mean that the same number of 'top students' in those schools compared to the 'top students' in other schools, will get that A*.

I was using my Academy as a sample. Grammar schools will supposedly have performed better while non-Maths academies would have performed poorer on average. I was just using a sample to display just what is really going on. Regardless what we can clearly see is that compared to previous examinations of this specification, this exam was answered poorer on an average.

The edexcel Maths spec has become increasingly easier as it has been in effect for a number of years, essentially, a hard exam (within the spec) was needed to reinstate a clear difference of grade boundaries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mobbsy91
Do you not understand UMS!?

Original post by samjfranklin
Students need to understand UMS!!

Do either of you two understand UMS for this exam? :wink: Raw marks are not converted to UMS for this spec - you just get given a grade and (not UMS) points that correspond to that grade. The raw mark grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly, however.
I was using my Academy as a sample. Grammar schools will supposedly have performed better while non-Maths academies would have performed poorer on average. I was just using a sample to display just what is really going on. Regardless what we can clearly see is that compared to previous examinations of this specification, this exam was answered poorer on an average.

The edexcel Maths spec has become increasingly easier as it has been in effect for a number of years, essentially, a hard exam (within the spec) was needed to reinstate a clear difference of grade boundaries.

No, no we can't see that this exam was answered more poorly on average. All we've seen is a group of people that don't unerstand UMS moaning about a question. The grade boundaries changed every year so they' won't be "reinstating the grade boundaries" approximately the same percentage of students will receive each grade as per every year before this. If it has been answered badly, they'll need less raw marks to get this grade.
Original post by usycool1
Do either of you two understand UMS for this exam? :wink: Raw marks are not converted to UMS for this spec - you just get given a grade and (not UMS) points that correspond to that grade. The raw mark grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly, however.

Yes I do. Your grade for each paper will come from your UMS mark.

For example, for my biology AS exams: 96 UMS or above is an A. What raw mark scores you 96 UMS changes each year. The raw mark grade boundaries comes from whatever UMS that raw mark scores.
Yes I do. Your grade for each paper will come from your UMS mark.

For example, for my biology AS exams: 96 UMS or above is an A. What raw mark scores you 96 UMS changes each year. The raw mark grade boundaries comes from whatever UMS that raw mark scores.

Yes, but not for Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A - it's a linear course so there is no need for UMS. Have a look at Edexcel's UMS converter - you will not find an option for GCSE Mathematics A.
Original post by usycool1
Yes, but not for Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A - it's a linear course so there is no need for UMS. Have a look at Edexcel's UMS converter - you will not find an option for GCSE Mathematics A.

That is my error, however the point still remains valid just without UMS. Rather than the grade boundaries relating to UMS They relate to themselves and will change. It is essentially the same as converting to UMS. However, I do apologise for my mistake!
That is my error, however the point still remains valid just without UMS. Rather than the grade boundaries relating to UMS They relate to themselves and will change. It is essentially the same as converting to UMS. However, I do apologise for my mistake!

No worries, it's an easy one to make. :smile:

Exactly! I ran out of time because it takes me awhile to actually process information to figure out what the question is and what i need to answer :/
Sorry but I am one of the many thousands of GCSE students how took this exam. I am predicted to get an A* this year and I think I will be lucky if I get a B. The exam was a lot harder than any of the other math paper that I had ever tried and I think that many of you don't quite understand the pressure put on students to get A*. Also the time that we have to answer all of these hard exam questions in, simply is not long enough and so no wonder many of us came out of the exam angry and upset. As for those how think that we need to "toughen up", if you were one of the students who had to sit in that exam and get faced with a question that was badly worded and that you had never been taught to do (in that context), you would be just as angry as us.

Latest

Trending

Trending