The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10williamsss
Sorry but I am one of the many thousands of GCSE students how took this exam. I am predicted to get an A* this year and I think I will be lucky if I get a B. The exam was a lot harder than any of the other math paper that I had ever tried and I think that many of you don't quite understand the pressure put on students to get A*. Also the time that we have to answer all of these hard exam questions in, simply is not long enough and so no wonder many of us came out of the exam angry and upset. As for those how think that we need to "toughen up", if you were one of the students who had to sit in that exam and get faced with a question that was badly worded and that you had never been taught to do (in that context), you would be just as angry as us.

Have you read through this thread?

If you're an A* student, you will most likely still get an A* because however many marks you got is usually in the top percentile of results - grade boundaries change!!

There is a lot of pressure, but wait until you get to A Level where 68/75 is an A.

100 marks in 120 minutes is perfectly fair. Most exams are 1 mark for 1 minute...

Yes you'll be angry, but I doubt your grade will change. Spend tidy revising for paper 2!!
Original post by usycool1
Do either of you two understand UMS for this exam? :wink: Raw marks are not converted to UMS for this spec - you just get given a grade and (not UMS) points that correspond to that grade. The raw mark grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly, however.

Why do they not get UMS!? My bad about UMS! However, as you said, it still stands for the boundary changing if it's appropriate!
Reply 262
Adults, the raw marks are NOT converted into UMS marks for Mathematics A Linear Edexcel Specification. Just wanted to say that.
Original post by oni176
Adults, the raw marks are NOT converted into UMS marks for Mathematics A Linear Edexcel Specification. Just wanted to say that.

Somebody else has already brought is up, and myself and the other person mentioning UMS in the last page have apologised

However, the point still stands but replace 'UMS' with 'raw mark grade boundaries' nothing has changed...
Reply 264
Original post by samjfranklin
Somebody else has already brought is up, and myself and the other person mentioning UMS in the last page have apologised

However, the point still stands but replace 'UMS' with 'raw mark grade boundaries' nothing has changed...

Yeah, I know that if people don't do well,grade boundaries will be lowered. That's what most of the people is saying but I have a question.. For Hannah's sweets can you get madks for doing:

(n+5) (n-6)
= n2 - 6n + 5n - 30 = 1/3
= n2- n - 90 = 0 ?
Reply 265
Have you read through this thread?

If you're an A* student, you will most likely still get an A* because however many marks you got is usually in the top percentile of results - grade boundaries change!!

There is a lot of pressure, but wait until you get to A Level where 68/75 is an A.

100 marks in 120 minutes is perfectly fair. Most exams are 1 mark for 1 minute...

Yes you'll be angry, but I doubt your grade will change. Spend tidy revising for paper 2!!

105 minutes dumb ass
Original post by aahmad
105 minutes dumb ass

I was under the impression that it was a 2 hour exam. Sorry! Although calling me dumbass is a bit unnecessary :wink:
Original post by oni176
Yeah, I know that if people don't do well,grade boundaries will be lowered. That's what most of the people is saying but I have a question.. For Hannah's sweets can you get madks for doing:

(n+5) (n-6)
= n2 - 6n + 5n - 30 = 1/3
= n2- n - 90 = 0 ?

I'm not sure. Obviously I don't know how it will be marked, but I'm not sure you've used rules of probability. I imagine you'll get (assuming they mark GCSE like A level) M1 for putting 6/n or 5/(n-1), or maybe B1. Then M1 for multiplying them together and rearranging. Then dA1 for finishing wi the correct answer.
Original post by yolande1
so this petition has been going around, directed towards edexcel to lower the grade boundaries for todays maths paper 1. Over 10,000 people have signed it.
Thoughts?

Maths is my worst subject and I'm predicted a B. I went through the paper with a calm mind set and knew there were a couple of questions (the grain question and the proove x=0.0028) that I couldn't answer and I knew that was okay because I would still get a B as you only have to get around 47 in most papers to get a B. I have seen questions similar to everything that came up (including the sweets question) and so it wasn't as bad as people were making out.

I personally think that twitter doesn't help. People start making funny tweets about the questions and how some of them were hard and then everyone wants to jump on the band wagon. I could have done the sweets question if I had of dedicated more time to it in the exam instead of making sure the questions I was confident on were gone correctly. I think people just liked the idea of everyone collectively moaning about it and the petition reflects how they think it may give them a better grade.
Original post by georgie_axolotls

Good for you for having a mature attitude towards it, not jumping on a bandwagon like everyone else seems to be :smile:
Maths is my worst subject and I'm predicted a B. I went through the paper with a calm mind set and knew there were a couple of questions (the grain question and the proove x=0.0028) that I couldn't answer and I knew that was okay because I would still get a B as you only have to get around 47 in most papers to get a B. I have seen questions similar to everything that came up (including the sweets question) and so it wasn't as bad as people were making out.

I personally think that twitter doesn't help. People start making funny tweets about the questions and how some of them were hard and then everyone wants to jump on the band wagon. I could have done the sweets question if I had of dedicated more time to it in the exam instead of making sure the questions I was confident on were gone correctly. I think people just liked the idea of everyone collectively moaning about it and the petition reflects how they think it may give them a better grade.

I honestly hope that you get the grade that you deserve! Best of luck in the second paper, and if you do like you did in this one, then I'm sure you'll do well!
Original post by Stevo F
Good for you for having a mature attitude towards it, not jumping on a bandwagon like everyone else seems to be :smile:

Thank you :smile: I have to admit though, seeing people freak out initially made me feel a little unsettled. I think (well hope) everyone will be pleasantly surprised on results day :smile:
Original post by mobbsy91
I honestly hope that you get the grade that you deserve! Best of luck in the second paper, and if you do like you did in this one, then I'm sure you'll do well!

Thank you very much! That's really kind of you. I know I have got a B after looking at the unofficial answers that were released :smile: I am going to Hills Road so I need a B at minimum to do the courses I need for my desired job sector. I don't think making memes about an exam and stressing will get me there though! :wink:

Finally somebody not moaning and reacting well! Nicely done, all the best for paper 2. You'll get the grade you want because you seem to be doing things properly:smile:
Finally somebody not moaning and reacting well! Nicely done, all the best for paper 2. You'll get the grade you want because you seem to be doing things properly:smile:

Thank you very much! I hope so! I can't tell if I am excited for results day or horrified! If you're taking the exam, all the best to you too! :biggrin:
I don't think making memes about an exam and stressing will get me there though! :wink:

Agreed - preparing for part 2 is much better!
Reply 276

47s not getting a b. You need about 55 I think
Original post by aahmad
47s not getting a b. You need about 55 I think

Ah okay, I was just going on what the last grade boundaries were :smile:
Reply 278
Ah okay, I was just going on what the last grade boundaries were :smile:

Ohh right sorry tbf 47 may be a b cuz grade boundaries might be lower this time although it depends upon paper 2
Original post by aahmad
Ohh right sorry tbf 47 may be a b cuz grade boundaries might be lower this time although it depends upon paper 2

I believe a B is usually 45-47 type mark. That's what it has been for the last few years! I may be wrong and may have misread though :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending