The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vcumner
My son sat the exam and he has studied really hard and was predicted an A. He walked out saying it was really hard and he could not do some of the questions. If you don't have a child sitting the exam you do not & can not really say the students need to toughen up!

Exactly. It's easy to say that it wasn't that bad but when you feel SO prepared and you feel like you know exactly what's gonna come up and you'll do well ... then you get the the second part and BANG, you get question where you're like :O :O. Honestly, it's such a slap in the face, you feel like you've failed everything.

Of course the grade boundaries will be lowered using the Gaussian distribution, but students just want to make their point. Edexcel need to realise that it's not OK to spring up a paper like that on us that we were NOT mentally prepared for. I think the petition is a really good idea. And for the person who said it's not fair on students who do well - I do pretty well in maths and what's not fair is the exam, not lowering the boundaries. Either way you'll do well, so there's nothing unfair about it.

*rant over*
Original post by Bobbbobbob
Exactly. It's easy to say that it wasn't that bad but when you feel SO prepared and you feel like you know exactly what's gonna come up and you'll do well ... then you get the the second part and BANG, you get question where you're like :O :O. Honestly, it's such a slap in the face, you feel like you've failed everything.

Of course the grade boundaries will be lowered using the Gaussian distribution, but students just want to make their point. Edexcel need to realise that it's not OK to spring up a paper like that on us that we were NOT mentally prepared for. I think the petition is a really good idea. And for the person who said it's not fair on students who do well - I do pretty well in maths and what's not fair is the exam, not lowering the boundaries. Either way you'll do well, so there's nothing unfair about it.

*rant over*

Hey, you think it's a problem when that happens? Are students not expecting to get some questions that actually test their understanding in the Linear paper?

In my Level 1/2 Certificate papers 3H/4H, there were a couple of questions in both papers that I didn't 'expect' to have to do. However I understand maths, so after 10minutes of thinking about a question and writing some potential workings, I figured it out and solved the problem.
The whole point of maths is being able to understand it and apply it.

Just because some poor little students weren't taught that EXACT question in class does not mean the question was unjustifiable. Teachers can't teach students every single possible question, there are an infinite number of possible applications, and the teacher's job is to help the student understand the subject. If they simply aren't as capable a mathematician, then they won't be able to apply their knowledge. If they were, they would've been able to figure out that question with just a pinch of thought.
If they are capable enough and they came out not being able to answer it and ranting about it, then they clearly either a) aren't as capable as you thought or b) They gave up instantly and didn't persist, which is their fault.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable question, and it was one that tests which candidates actually understand the subject vs which ones just attempted to memorise the questions they'd practiced in class.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blaz1ng
Hey, you think it's a problem when that happens? Are students not expecting to get some questions that actually test their understanding in the Linear paper?

In my Level 1/2 Certificate papers 3H/4H, there were a couple of questions in both papers that I didn't 'expect' to have to do. However I understand maths, so after 10minutes of thinking about a question and writing some potential workings, I figured it out and solved the problem.
The whole point of maths is being able to understand it and apply it.

Just because some poor little students weren't taught that EXACT question in class does not mean the question was unjustifiable. Teachers can't teach students every single possible question, there are an infinite number of possible applications, and the teacher's job is to help the student understand the subject. If they simply aren't as capable a mathematician, then they won't be able to apply their knowledge. If they were, they would've been able to figure out that question with just a pinch of thought.
If they are capable enough and they came out not being able to answer it and ranting about it, then they clearly either a) aren't as capable as you thought or b) They gave up instantly and didn't persist, which is their fault.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable question, and it was one that tests which candidates actually understand the subject vs which ones just attempted to memorise the questions they'd practiced in class.

I get your point, but no one would be ranting if it really required just the 'pinch of a thought.' And of course if the more able students got it, then that would also be normal.

But the fact that the entire country was completely stumped by not only that question but a good half dozen of them is a little much. One or two weird questions, OK, but the whole second half of the paper confused the large majority of students. Most of the focus in the complaints were focused on Hannah's sweets as it was one that not even the smartest people in the year who do Ad Maths (year 13 maths) really understood.

Yes, people did solve it. But two or three days after the exam. That was not a question that you be solved in the time of the exam by the very large majority of the students. The students took it to the teachers and even they took a long time to figure it out. How were we supposed to do that under the strict time restrictions? And let's not forget that practically no one made the link between the sweets and the method. The teachers cannot teach everything - I agree, but I feel that the question should have given us more pointers on how to answer the question. 90% of students, no matter how 'capable', did not make the link. I think about it now, three days after the exam, and think 'Oh yeah, maybe I should have done it more like that' - but really, most people making the link three days after the exam is getting us nowhere.

The question was not A Level work, but it was, according to a lot of teachers, A Level standard and I still think it was unfair and threw a lot of people off.

And before you assume that I'm an 'uncapable' student, I was predicted a very high grade for my maths, but I guess that plan went down the drain.
OK I'm sorry, but your argument is not justified. Everything that was on the exam was perfectly clear on the specification.

Personally I prepared by doing plenty of last papers and managed to get 98/100 according to the unofficial mark scheme, and personally found the paper to be slightly easier than previous years.

If you are so concerned, then you yourself should be putting in work to make sure you secure a good grade, rather than moaning about how hard the exam was.

Edexcel are totally justified on their approach and the grade boundaries won't decrease by more than two marks per grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get your point, but no one would be ranting if it really required just the 'pinch of a thought.' And of course if the more able students got it, then that would also be normal.

But the fact that the entire country was completely stumped by not only that question but a good half dozen of them is a little much. One or two weird questions, OK, but the whole second half of the paper confused the large majority of students. Most of the focus in the complaints were focused on Hannah's sweets as it was one that not even the smartest people in the year who do Ad Maths (year 13 maths) really understood.

Yes, people did solve it. But two or three days after the exam. That was not a question that you be solved in the time of the exam by the very large majority of the students. The students took it to the teachers and even they took a long time to figure it out. How were we supposed to do that under the strict time restrictions? And let's not forget that practically no one made the link between the sweets and the method. The teachers cannot teach everything - I agree, but I feel that the question should have given us more pointers on how to answer the question. 90% of students, no matter how 'capable', did not make the link. I think about it now, three days after the exam, and think 'Oh yeah, maybe I should have done it more like that' - but really, most people making the link three days after the exam is getting us nowhere.

The question was not A Level work, but it was, according to a lot of teachers, A Level standard and I still think it was unfair and threw a lot of people off.

And before you assume that I'm an 'uncapable' student, I was predicted a very high grade for my maths, but I guess that plan went down the drain.

Not a personal attack or anything, however if you found the sweets question or grain question hard than your maths ability is not of a particularly high standard. They needed simple techniques and logic, nothing more difficult than questions from previous years.
Reply 285

The sweets question was not a level standard. If you thought about it was easy to figure out. It was just probability and the link could have been made through application. It was not even close to a level standard.
Original post by aahmad
The sweets question was not a level standard. If you thought about it was easy to figure out. It was just probability and the link could have been made through application. It was not even close to a level standard.

Exactly, neither were any other of the questions. These people have clearly never seen an A level paper, just go on edexcel and look, the sweets question will seem so incredibly easy (which it was).
(edited 8 years ago)
Most of the focus in the complaints were focused on Hannah's sweets as it was one that not even the smartest people in the year who do Ad Maths (year 13 maths) really understood.

Yes, people did solve it. But two or three days after the exam. That was not a question that you be solved in the time of the exam by the very large majority of the students. The students took it to the teachers and even they took a long time to figure it out. How were we supposed to do that under the strict time restrictions? And let's not forget that practically no one made the link between the sweets and the method.

It took me 30 seconds to do part a.
If they had given the total number of sweets a number rather than the letter 'n', virtually no-one would have complained about the question, with that being the case I don't know how A level students/teachers could struggle with it. You use the exact method you would use to solve any other probability question just using an n instead of a number, I do not understand what's hard about it...
Well, let's just hope Hannah doesn't eat any more sweets tomorrow morning. :smile:
Original post by EwanatTSR
Well, let's just hope Hannah doesn't eat any more sweets tomorrow morning. :smile:

Haha, same here ;P Never gonna see orange sweets the same way again lol!
Ad maths is year 13 maths? ****ing loled
tbh I've done harder past papers from edexcel. This wasn't difficult at all aside from the sweets and cylinder question. Tomorrow's one should be even easier.
Original post by Stevo F
If they had given the total number of sweets a number rather than the letter 'n', virtually no-one would have complained about the question, with that being the case I don't know how A level students/teachers could struggle with it. You use the exact method you would use to solve any other probability question just using an n instead of a number, I do not understand what's hard about it...

I won't lie, I envy you. And while I do admit that the hardness of the paper was exaggerated on Twitter and other social media, the paper was still harder than all the past papers we've used to revise as well as all the PPEs and predicted papers, which I stand firm on that that is totally unfair.

Now I get it. I get the method and everything. I admit, if they had put a number no one would have complained. But they didn't, so everyone did.

I would literally pay a hundred pounds to get another 15 minutes in that exam hall ... :P Oh well. Just hoping for the best I guess :/
I wish that question was on S1!!!
Reply 294
Original post by Stevo F

Exactly how can people know that n is just used instead if a number. It eve n told you n = total no. of sweets
It was pretty easy tho

If that was an A level question, my sixth form life is going to be a breeze. I might not even have to turn up for lessons!

But seriously, there's no way that's an A level work. It was only simple probability and rearranging. I wonder if a student's reading comprehension ability affected whether they were able to do it?
Reply 297
Original post by samjfranklin
Can we all just stop and remember that Hannah's sweets, part (a) and (b) are worth 6 marks. Part (b) is solving the quadratic for 'n' and that makes up 3 of the 6 marks. This question is being used as a scapegoat by students and the media to show how truly awful exams are!?! 3 marks probably won't even change your grade. People need to learn how marks are made uniform and then grades are awarded before they start complaining. Grade boundaries automatically 'lower themselves' (so to speak) if people perform badly!!

your forgetting the grain question - there were many that were unusually difficult
Who found this test much harder than the first?
This is very wrong. Grade boundaries aren't set before hand, they are calculated afterwards based on how everyone did. Those hard questions weren't meant to be answered by everyone, they are there to differentiate the strongest pupils from the able ones. So the grade boundaries will be fair. p.s. Hannah sweets were worth 3 marks, even if you get it wrong you can still get a high A*. Also, the calculator paper was easy so the grade boundaries will probably be similar to last years.

Latest

Trending

Trending