The Student Room Group

Planning to study Geology or similar..

Hi!

Right now I'm a little undecided as to what course to do and where however the likelihood is it will be a geology/geological sciences course - hopefully at Leeds.

Coming round to write my personal statement and it's a little bare. There's the typical stuff like DofE, Gold Scouts Award and some work I did with a gymnastics club (more admin/website). What sort of volunteering or activities can I do between now and 2016 entry? Have I left it too late?

I've enrolled in some online courses encouraged and setup by Leeds but I still don't think it's enough. I can dedicate my entire summer to whatever needs to be done to improve my chances as an applicant.

Also how is geological sciences perceived? Is it as intense as straight up geology? How about Leeds as a university?

Any comments are greatly appreciated
You don't need to mention any activities. If you do then they should be relevant to the degree you're applying for, but most of your PS should be about your academic interests and why you want to study geology. You could talk about books you've read (plus what you thought about them and what questions they raised), lectures you've attended/watched, radio or TV programmes you've watched (e.g. I listened to this a few weeks ago which was quite interesting), geology-related fieldwork or work experience etc.

Different universities use different degree names but Geology / Geological Sciences / Earth Sciences are all basically the same thing. Leeds' Geological Sciences degree is accredited by the Geological Society and that's all that matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending