The Student Room Group

Coping with holidays/results day

When the holidays come, I feel as though I won't be able to do anything but panic about results day. How do I stop this?

I have a few plans to do fun things. Still, it's like I won't truly feel free when my exams finish. I won't really be free until 20th August, when I can find out how awfully/well I've done.

Obviously, I don't want to suffer for all that time. I know panicking won't actually help my grades go up even by one mark and that what's done is done, but even the rational part of myself feels overridden by the emotional difficulties of failure. It's strange, but nonetheless a problem for me.

What can I do to forget about 20th August? That dreadful day will be a day involving three things. One - confirming the grades I already have in mind that I'm pretty confident about. Two - checking other subjects that I'm kind of uncertain about, but hoping for the best, since I don't feel I messed those subjects up. Three - panicking about the ones that I did awfully in or being relieved that I did better than expected.

So, the ones that agree with my predictions will be initially like meaningless to me, but the ones I have no clue about will be more important. And then I'll either be extremely happy to have done better than I thought or shattered by how accurately my predictions of failure were.

The day feels more like a day of relief or anguish than a day to rejoice. Any A*s I get will kind of make up for some lower A grades, so it will ease the pain somewhat. Argh.

I don't want to open my results at home or anything, but I feel that I should. If I'm ready such an emotional mess, I don't see what point there is in saving face at school. I might just go home and open them, so at least I can dance and jump around if I've done better than expected. Worse, I can sob the lower grades away. :frown:

TL;DR - extremely stressed about results day. What do I do to forget about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Make preparations incase you fail and get over it. It's out of your control, just focus on what you'll do during and after under certain circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest