The Student Room Group

Started my Career and feeling lost - is this it!?

Hi everyone,

I've recently started my first job after university and I'm finding the transition quite challenging. I'm feeling a bit lost and, to be honest, I'm struggling mentally. The work life is so different from uni life. I miss the freedom and flexibility that I had during my university days, and I'm finding it hard to adjust to the rigid structure of the 9-5 routine.

I'm also grappling with the fact that I don't feel as passionate about my job as I thought I would. I know it's early days, but I can't help but feel a bit disheartened. I went travelling for 6 months and loved it. Now i'm staring at a screen all day thinking i'll be doing this for the next 40 years.

I'm starting to question if this is really what I want to do with my life, or if there's something else out there that I'd enjoy more.

To cope with these feelings, I've started practicing mindfulness and meditation. I've found it to be really helpful in managing my stress and anxiety. It's a small step, but it's been beneficial in bringing me some peace and clarity amidst the chaos.

I'm curious to know if anyone else is experiencing the same feelings? Have you found any strategies or practices that have helped you navigate these challenges? Mentally I've found candles help manage my mood, especially when i'm working, it helps me be mindful aswell so my mind doesn't spiral.
Reply 1
What type of career are you in?

I’ve never really understood people’s obsession with being passionate about jobs. Do what will make you the most amount of money for the least amount of work.

Find a job that can pay for the adventures and lifestyle you want, that you haven’t got to think about once you clock off.

Edit: the way it’s going you’ll probably be staring at that screen for the next 50 years.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
One of the mums here on TSR and I imagine its a big transition uni to work life, and your travelling as well for 6 months.

You will get this with what ever job you do. Your only allowed X amount of days holiday entitlement, and you have bills to pay so whether its working at a shop, office, or a watersports training centre, or go ape, its still work at the end of the day.
Meditation is amazing, I do it quite often. You do need also something to focus on. For me, its my holidays and I never finish a holiday not having the next one booked. I also did Tai chi classes and Zumba which helped me meet other people and also had a nice routine going doing things I liked.
Regarding your job you are in now. Definitely give it some time. You can either end up hating it which means you can look for a different job in something you might like, or you end up liking your job after all and it was just the transition part that was the problem. Either way this will look good on your CV if you have a working history. But yeah definitely do some things to give you structure whether thats night classes, gym, meeting with friends, a weekend away in a cheap hostel, putting that deposit on that next holiday
Reply 3
Thank you for these replies. I love the idea of getting a holiday booked ASAP. I have a candle on my desk when I WFH to help calm me and it also helps me be more motivated!
Unfortunately that’s adulthood and universities can create a bit of a false expectation of career aspects!

I’ve seen comments here about ‘not understanding passion for the job’ and you should earn as much as possible blah blah blah - you can be that type of person or like myself, have to find passion in your work to excel and be productive - truthfully, if you love your job then not a single day feels like ‘work’. If you’re not happy then use your degree to find something that does excite you, even if it’s for a pay cut. I guarantee you’ll rise the pay scale quicker because of the care you’ll put in🎇
Original post by Anon-Y-Mouse
Hi everyone,

I've recently started my first job after university and I'm finding the transition quite challenging. I'm feeling a bit lost and, to be honest, I'm struggling mentally. The work life is so different from uni life. I miss the freedom and flexibility that I had during my university days, and I'm finding it hard to adjust to the rigid structure of the 9-5 routine.

I'm also grappling with the fact that I don't feel as passionate about my job as I thought I would. I know it's early days, but I can't help but feel a bit disheartened. I went travelling for 6 months and loved it. Now i'm staring at a screen all day thinking i'll be doing this for the next 40 years.

I'm starting to question if this is really what I want to do with my life, or if there's something else out there that I'd enjoy more.

To cope with these feelings, I've started practicing mindfulness and meditation. I've found it to be really helpful in managing my stress and anxiety. It's a small step, but it's been beneficial in bringing me some peace and clarity amidst the chaos.

I'm curious to know if anyone else is experiencing the same feelings? Have you found any strategies or practices that have helped you navigate these challenges? Mentally I've found candles help manage my mood, especially when i'm working, it helps me be mindful aswell so my mind doesn't spiral.
Reply 5
Original post by marshallchar55
Unfortunately that’s adulthood and universities can create a bit of a false expectation of career aspects!

I’ve seen comments here about ‘not understanding passion for the job’ and you should earn as much as possible blah blah blah - you can be that type of person or like myself, have to find passion in your work to excel and be productive - truthfully, if you love your job then not a single day feels like ‘work’. If you’re not happy then use your degree to find something that does excite you, even if it’s for a pay cut. I guarantee you’ll rise the pay scale quicker because of the care you’ll put in🎇

Obviously referring to me on the above.

I enjoy my job and the work I do, it’s pretty challenging and interesting but I work to live my life, not the other way round.

I was originally all about passion etc. and my salary was barely livable. Changed attitude but not career, just company/role and salary has trebled kn 2 years, with less hours and less stress.

You make the job work for you.

I obviously don’t know how old you are but I’m 12 years into my career, so have seen a few things during this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending