The Student Room Group

Chemistry Question

On a unit 4 chem question you need the density of ethanoic acid... Where do you find this on the Edexcel data sheet?
Many thanks
I imagine you just use the density of water since they will be basically identical
Reply 2
Original post by langlitz
I imagine you just use the density of water since they will be basically identical

Why are they identical?
And it says 1.049, on the data book water is just 1.00
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Conor Walsh
Why are they identical?

It will be dissolved in water and and the density would depend on concentration anyway. What does the question actually say?
Reply 4
It will be dissolved in water and and the density would depend on concentration anyway. What does the question actually say?

This question is about an experiment to determine the equilibrium constant, Kc, forthe reaction between ethanoic acid and ethanol to form ethyl ethanoate and water. Two sealed test tubes were prepared. The first test tube contained 0.0400 mol ethanoic acid, 0.0400 mol of ethanol and0.20 cm3 of concentrated hydrochloric acid. The second test tube contained 0.0400 mol ethyl ethanoate, 0.0400 mol of water and0.20 cm3 of concentrated hydrochloric acid. After standing at 25°C for two weeks, to ensure equilibrium is reached, the contentsof each test tube were separately titrated with 0.200 mol dm–3 sodium hydroxidesolution. 0.20 cm3 of concentrated hydrochloric acid was also titrated with the same sodiumhydroxide solution. (a) (i) Using data from the Data Booklet, calculate the volume, in cm3, of 0.0400 molof ethanoic acid.
Reply 5
Watch out

Reply 6
Original post by futbol
Watch out

Thanks for that, any useful advice?
This question is about an experiment to determine the equilibrium constant, Kc, forthe reaction between ethanoic acid and ethanol to form ethyl ethanoate and water. Two sealed test tubes were prepared. The first test tube contained 0.0400 mol ethanoic acid, 0.0400 mol of ethanol and0.20 cm3 of concentrated hydrochloric acid. The second test tube contained 0.0400 mol ethyl ethanoate, 0.0400 mol of water and0.20 cm3 of concentrated hydrochloric acid. After standing at 25°C for two weeks, to ensure equilibrium is reached, the contentsof each test tube were separately titrated with 0.200 mol dm–3 sodium hydroxidesolution. 0.20 cm3 of concentrated hydrochloric acid was also titrated with the same sodiumhydroxide solution. (a) (i) Using data from the Data Booklet, calculate the volume, in cm3, of 0.0400 molof ethanoic acid.

When it says use data from the data book it may just mean the masses to work out the formula mass of ethanoic acid. Unless the density of ethanoic acid is given in the data book then use water
Reply 8
When it says use data from the data book it may just mean the masses to work out the formula mass of ethanoic acid. Unless the density of ethanoic acid is given in the data book then use water

Then how have they got 1.047 in the MS?
Then how have they got 1.047 in the MS?

Then look in the data book...?
Then look in the data book...?

I can't find it, that's the whole point of the question

Okay, I've found it, need new glasses lol

Thanks anyway- also what is the pKin value used for in indicators?
(edited 8 years ago)
I can't find it, that's the whole point of the question

Okay, I've found it, need new glasses lol

Thanks anyway- also what is the pKin value used for in indicators?

To decide which indicator to use based on the endpoint pH. Say you have an endpoint of a titration which is at pH 8.34, then you would use an indicator with a similar pKa

Quick Reply

Latest