The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

MSc Data Science..KCL, city or Queen Mary?

Good morning everyone!
I'm going to attend a MSc in big data science, until now i received three offers: City University London, KCL, and Queen Mary..in all the 3 universities the course is designed by their department of computer science. Do you have any opinion about which one is better? in terms of both teaching and future career.. thanks
Reply 1
Considering all these courses are either just introduced this/last year, we have limited inputs on career impact. But Following are my observations:

KCL: Great Brand Name. Will open door for you. However King's department of Informatics is not as well known as opposed its other departments. So if you will be seeking a Job where employer is more interested in Brand Name than Content/Structure of the program KCL is a winner! Also their program is launched this year, so limited info on class profile/experience (Fees: 21,000)

City: City Launched its program last year and got some good candidates, who have already secured positions with Google, Data Genics and other firms. It is consistent with City's reputation of having very close ties with the industries. Moreover, looking at the content and structure this program seems to have more cross-disciplinary approach than programs in other universities, who are still looking at solving Big Data as a computer science program rather than a 'Business Problem' (Fees 14,500)

Queen Mary: This is going to be first cohort for the program, so that is a disadvantage. Also, the course seems very conventional in nature. With highly academic approach. (Fees 16,500)

I am leaning towards City!

- One cohort already graduating, so reduced administrative, academic risk. Things will be better streamlined
- Content seem very much towards application than purely academic pursuit
- City's close affiliation with industry - Enabling better Internships
- Better Value for Money (14K Vs 21K)
(edited 8 years ago)
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
thank you!! actually i had some doubts about KCL's computer science department. Now I'm definitely leaning towards City. Are you going to attend this MSc too?
Reply 3
Original post by cesare_galli
thank you!! actually i had some doubts about KCL's computer science department. Now I'm definitely leaning towards City. Are you going to attend this MSc too?

I Have acceptance from City. Working out personal aspects. But if everything works out, I will join the program. What about you? What's your academic background? Would you want to connect over LinkedIn?

My LinkedIn Id is: [personal details removed]
Reply 4
Hi Anand:

I have been offered a place in MSc Data Science course for Part Time studies at City University for the September 2015 intake. I am keen to join but I have been informed by Admission Officer that the classes will be held one full day every week. I work as a contractor on a daily rate, so it would be a financial loss for me to take a day off every week. I was of the understanding that, classes would be held on two evenings every week. Even if I decide to take a loss, I do not think my client would agree that I do not provide services one day every week. Does anyone else have this problem? I do not think many employers will agree to employees working 4 days a week.

Thanks,
Tapasvi

Original post by Anand123
Considering all these courses are either just introduced this/last year, we have limited inputs on career impact. But Following are my observations:

KCL: Great Brand Name. Will open door for you. However King's department of Informatics is not as well known as opposed its other departments. So if you will be seeking a Job where employer is more interested in Brand Name than Content/Structure of the program KCL is a winner! Also their program is launched this year, so limited info on class profile/experience (Fees: 21,000)

City: City Launched its program last year and got some good candidates, who have already secured positions with Google, Data Genics and other firms. It is consistent with City's reputation of having very close ties with the industries. Moreover, looking at the content and structure this program seems to have more cross-disciplinary approach than programs in other universities, who are still looking at solving Big Data as a computer science program rather than a 'Business Problem' (Fees 14,500)

Queen Mary: This is going to be first cohort for the program, so that is a disadvantage. Also, the course seems very conventional in nature. With highly academic approach. (Fees 16,500)

I am leaning towards City!

- One cohort already graduating, so reduced administrative, academic risk. Things will be better streamlined
- Content seem very much towards application than purely academic pursuit
- City's close affiliation with industry - Enabling better Internships
- Better Value for Money (14K Vs 21K)
Reply 5
@Tapasvi: It is definitely a tricky situation for you. Hope you get to work out an arrangement with your employer. What is your Academic and professional background? Your choices would depend on the objective of why you want to pursue this program.
Reply 6
Hi Guys,

Opening this thread again.

Could anyone please give a comparison among KCL, Warwick , Manchester and Surrey for this course for year 2016. I have read that Warwick and Surrey have been running this program from couple of years now.

Has anyone got any insight for these , in terms of class profile, job prospects. ? I am planning to take a break from my 9 years of work experience in IT consulting and want to join 1 year full time course.

Appreciate your comments.
Hmm..if you're not considering City, why post here?

Also, those are very different courses ... What do you actually want out of the degree? Is it just the university name, as, to be honest, there are stronger data science research centres out there than your list. Kings, for example, has an excellent but very narrow range of expertise. It's certainly good but unless you want their specific method, there are better choices. Surrey is hardly known for its data science research unless something changed overnight.

If a course opened its books two years ago, there won't be employment data yet. City has just had its first data, and it came before the others.

I would suggest you need to do more research on the institutions if you are after a good course. City's had strong research in data analytics, data mining, AI and visualisation for years. Manchester and Warwick are both good institutions with some relevant research, but it's not truly the core of their CS research portfolio. (And FWIW I know both places well...funded research at one many years ago, and know the former Head of Dept at the other). Both have created umbrella data science institutes across the university, but that is a common trick by universities to make them look much bigger in an area (I know..I started my PhD in such an institute).

If you want a soundly CS degree, you'll need to check how the teaching is delivered too. Many are CS Msc with a couple of distinct modules. One thing about City's degree is that it is almost the only, if not the only, purpose built course.

In any case, all the best, but in a new field you need to be wary of "me too" courses ... And also overly narrow ones. City is not the only good choice, but your list could be improved a lot.
Reply 8
I too am considering City University, really like their mix of modules and applications to industry (especially given the fact they have links to tech city etc). I have Queen Mary as my second choice for the same reason - also the industrial experience is very handy when applying for jobs later.
Kings is probably the more prestigious university of the three but their course is too academic and wouldn't prepare me effectively for the real world. I would have considered UCL but again their courses seem too academic and have split into separate MScs in Machine learning and Big Data, a very bad thing in my opinion as it is important for a data scientist to be skilled in both areas.
Does anyone else have any opinions on this ?

Original post by gbuchanan
Hmm..if you're not considering City, why post here?

Also, those are very different courses ... What do you actually want out of the degree? Is it just the university name, as, to be honest, there are stronger data science research centres out there than your list. Kings, for example, has an excellent but very narrow range of expertise. It's certainly good but unless you want their specific method, there are better choices. Surrey is hardly known for its data science research unless something changed overnight.

If a course opened its books two years ago, there won't be employment data yet. City has just had its first data, and it came before the others.

I would suggest you need to do more research on the institutions if you are after a good course. City's had strong research in data analytics, data mining, AI and visualisation for years. Manchester and Warwick are both good institutions with some relevant research, but it's not truly the core of their CS research portfolio. (And FWIW I know both places well...funded research at one many years ago, and know the former Head of Dept at the other). Both have created umbrella data science institutes across the university, but that is a common trick by universities to make them look much bigger in an area (I know..I started my PhD in such an institute).

If you want a soundly CS degree, you'll need to check how the teaching is delivered too. Many are CS Msc with a couple of distinct modules. One thing about City's degree is that it is almost the only, if not the only, purpose built course.

In any case, all the best, but in a new field you need to be wary of "me too" courses ... And also overly narrow ones. City is not the only good choice, but your list could be improved a lot.
Reply 9
Hi. I have offers from Queen Mary and City. Leaning towards City for the same reasons as the rest....
Rebooting this thread - has anyone considered the part-time masters at Birkbeck? The lecturers' research projects there look really interesting, and apparently their research has been rated world class. But I don't know how much impact this really has on a day-to-day basis for students. I was also considering the City masters for the reasons above, but the Birkbeck one sounds like it could be really good to get insight into this research!If you've finished at City or elsewhere, how was it? would you recommend the place that you studied? I'm applying for 2018 entry, part-time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending