The Student Room Group

Which Data Science program to choose

Hello. I am an international student and have an option of choosing between
1. MSc Data Science Exeter
2. MSc. Data Science with industrial year from Surrey University
3. MSc. Data Science from City, University of London or MSc. Artificial Intelligence from City
4. MSc. Artificial Intelligence, QMUL
Which program would you recommend me to go with and why. I want to choose a university that would maximise my graduate prospects and give an overall good experience. I already have 2 years of work experience as a Data Scientist.
Note: If I choose London, I will be saving up on the living costs
(edited 4 years ago)
A year in industry is always good but which course is best suited to your academic interests? Also bear in mind that unless you are from the EU you are unlikely to get a job here.
Original post by shehrum
3. MSc. Data Science from City, University of London or MSc. Artificial Intelligence from City
Which program would you recommend me to go with and why. I want to choose a university that would maximise my graduate prospects and give an overall good experience. I already have 2 years of work experience as a Data Scientist.
You need to pore over the modules on offer at each one.

A problem of the UK system is we give cool sounding names to degree titles without much focus what's on them. This is especially true where data scientist/AI/machine learning/data mining/various other terms are used interchangeably to make a course sound more mainstream.
Reply 3
Well module's wise, City's course appeals to me the most, however, City is the lowest ranked amongst the options I have. So I don't know whether that would make a difference, or would be a bad choice to consider
Original post by marinade
You need to pore over the modules on offer at each one.

A problem of the UK system is we give cool sounding names to degree titles without much focus what's on them. This is especially true where data scientist/AI/machine learning/data mining/various other terms are used interchangeably to make a course sound more mainstream.
Reply 4
True that, but that's a risk I'm willing to take and will try my best to secure a placement. Hence, focusing on a uni that would maximise my graduate prospects.
City's course suits me the most, the rest aren't bad either. I'm only hesitant with City as it's ranking is quite low as compared to the others, so I don't know if that'd make a big difference, or it wouldn't be wise to consider it as a choice if I have other better options.
Original post by alleycat393
A year in industry is always good but which course is best suited to your academic interests? Also bear in mind that unless you are from the EU you are unlikely to get a job here.
Original post by shehrum
True that, but that's a risk I'm willing to take and will try my best to secure a placement. Hence, focusing on a uni that would maximise my graduate prospects.
City's course suits me the most, the rest aren't bad either. I'm only hesitant with City as it's ranking is quite low as compared to the others, so I don't know if that'd make a big difference, or it wouldn't be wise to consider it as a choice if I have other better options.

So have you decided where to study? I'm a international student too working as a data engineer for now. Planning to take msc data science next year. What do u think of city uni of london?
Reply 6
I would disagree with that approach. Telling from an industrial experience point of view, when you're building AI centric applications, you don't need too much advanced knowledge about the statistics and mathematical theory. Just a moderate understanding of things is good enough.

I want to pursue job opportunities in London, and its hard for me to apply directly from here as no one even considers the application. The situation is alot different when you are in person. Moreover, I want to get a stronger grip on concepts, and dive into AI (deep-learning, multi-agents etc). With a strong curriculum, research oriented projects and networking opportunities, I believe it will drastically improve my chances of getting a good job as an AI developer/researcher.
Reply 7
Original post by AdenHazard
So have you decided where to study? I'm a international student too working as a data engineer for now. Planning to take msc data science next year. What do u think of city uni of london?

Yes, I've decided to pursue MSc. Artificial Intelligence from City, University of London. Can't comment yet as the course is starting from 16th of Sept, but will post a review here after a few months. For now I'm pretty confident about my decision overall as I did alot of research, and I think this was the best choice for me for the following reasons.

1. Location - Central London (home to alot of tech companies)
2. 6 month Internship option instead of thesis. (increases your graduate prospects of getting hired by the same company)
3. Modules are very modern and industry oriented as compared to other programs I explored
Original post by shehrum
Yes, I've decided to pursue MSc. Artificial Intelligence from City, University of London. Can't comment yet as the course is starting from 16th of Sept, but will post a review here after a few months. For now I'm pretty confident about my decision overall as I did alot of research, and I think this was the best choice for me for the following reasons.

2. 6 month Internship option instead of thesis. (increases your graduate prospects of getting hired by the same company)
3. Modules are very modern and industry oriented as compared to other programs I explored

Hey, so have you started on the course? What did you think of the program?
Reply 9
Original post by dislikechocolate
Hey, so have you started on the course? What did you think of the program?

Hey! I've got a choice between City and KCL for the MSc Data Science - any thoughts on the pros/cons of each would be appreciated from those either applying to or studying / having studies on these programmes. Thanks!
Reply 10
I am now at the final stages of the Msc AI at City and I can say I am very pleased with the program. The degree is highly intense and challenging but I felt that the courses were all with very cutting edge material and the lectures were very attentive to students. Many students have continued to PhD at the university and others to the industry. I highly recommend it
Hi Friend, I am also planning for City, University of London MSc Artificial Intelligence. I have options from QMUL, and Exter also. Can u please suggest me which one is good City, London or QMUL for AI. I have 5 years experience in Python programming and have basic understanding of computational statistics and mathematics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Dear Friend, Congratulations on the successful completion of your AI MSc course from City, London. I am planning to join the same. Can you please help me by sharing your learning, internship, and placements experience in City,London. I have another option from Queen Mary as well. Please suggest to me which is good for MSc AI?
Reply 13
Original post by shehrum

Hey, have you finished the course? How did you find it?
Reply 14
I would find something that is very heavy or has great choices. on the generative AI / transformers. This is clearly the future of the world now. Also, if you're already a data scientist, then might be worth looking into what frameworks they use. I use PyTorch and you couldn't pay me to use Tensorflow.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by shehrum

I wouldn't recommend Msc at qmul.
I work in AI / data science. I strongly advise you to do an online comp sci masters (if you don’t have a computing background) because most roles require coding / dev experience. Learning Data Science / AI should be via a professional course / well regarded Mooc like the IBM Data Science cert or Stanford’s Deep Learning / MIT’s Stats / Data Science course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending