The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by e1510
Why doesn't bandits count?? In all my revision I've used it :frown: I know it's an experiment but it still uses observation
Sorry I meant bandura lol
Original post by e1510
Why doesn't bandits count?? In all my revision I've used it :frown: I know it's an experiment but it still uses observation

So did i :frown: idk what to use now :/ it doesnt count because its not acc observation - he manipulates IV and DV
Reply 82
Original post by alexgreen123
So did i :frown: idk what to use now :/ it doesnt count because its not acc observation - he manipulates IV and DV

But I think you can say bandura uses observation to collect data and use that, I use piliavan too which was technically a field experiment but it also uses observation!
Reply 83
Original post by e1510
Hi I'm not sure if this has been asked but:
I know you can be asked to do a correlation in section A but can they put correlation in section B? And has it ever come up in section B before?

I'm not sure whether it has come up before, but any of the methods can come up as the focus in section B, including of course correlations
Guys can anyone help me please! When looking into the debates e.g. - nature/nurture, are we looking into strengths and weaknesses of nature, strengths and weaknesses of nurture, OR strengths and weaknesses (for/against) for combined?
guys how would you answer this section a? http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144713-question-paper-unit-g544-01-approaches-and-research-methods-in-psychology.pdf

how would you make sure you observed the same people and it was natural and ethical?
guys how would you answer this section a? http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144713-question-paper-unit-g544-01-approaches-and-research-methods-in-psychology.pdf

how would you make sure you observed the same people and it was natural and ethical?

So a structured questionnaire is where the observers note down behaviour according to their coding system i.e. looks up, touches hair etc.. and because it says an event sample you need to record the data every time it happens. So you could do this by observing a classroom full of students but gain their consent however not informing them about the true aim till the end of the experiment. So that way they know they are taking part in an experiment, but don't know if they are being observed making it a covert observation also. This was it is natural and although their are some ethical guidelines being broken, but no psychology experiment is completely ethical.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Ashdaw21
So a structured questionnaire is where the observers note down behaviour according to their coding system i.e. looks up, touches hair etc.. and because it says an event sample you need to record the data every time it happens. So you could do this by observing a classroom full of students but gain their consent however not informing them about the true aim till the end of the experiment. So that way they know they are taking part in an experiment, but don't know if they are being observed making it a covert observation also. This was it is natural and although their are some ethical guidelines being broken, but no psychology experiment is completely ethical.

Hope that helps!

Ah thank you! And i guess for ethics i could just debrief them again at the end and give them the right to withdraw their data?
Ah thank you! And i guess for ethics i could just debrief them again at the end and give them the right to withdraw their data?

Yeah exactly!
Guys, can you say the behaviourist perspective is holistic, because it includes three ways in which behaviour is influenced/ leant- classical conditioning, operant and social learning through( imitation) ?????
Guys, can you say the behaviourist perspective is holistic, because it includes three ways in which behaviour is influenced/ leant- classical conditioning, operant and social learning through( imitation) ?????

Nooo, it would still be reductionist because those are all learning processes. It doesn't take into account things such as biology or individual differences
Nooo, it would still be reductionist because those are all learning processes. It doesn't take into account things such as biology or individual differences

Ohh rightt :s-smilie:... which approach is seen as holistic then???
Ohh rightt :s-smilie:... which approach is seen as holistic then???

Individual differences! Because it looks at all characteristics in individuals that can cause behaviour - e.g with eve, they looked at her pastt experinences, gave her psychometric tests, and eeg tests which are physiological so they looked at all aspects that could cause her behaviour rather than reducing it down to just one factor - say biology
Individual differences! Because it looks at all characteristics in individuals that can cause behaviour - e.g with eve, they looked at her pastt experinences, gave her psychometric tests, and eeg tests which are physiological so they looked at all aspects that could cause her behaviour rather than reducing it down to just one factor - say biology

Thank you so much!!!
Reply 94

Could you also say cognitive is holistic as it looks at internal mental processes but also external situations which affect these internal processes like in a cognitive explanation for depression the event has an effect on the processing (the cognitions) and the outcome (the feelings of depression)??
Reply 95
Can we use Sutherland as part of the social approach as well as behaviourist?
Original post by e1510
Could you also say cognitive is holistic as it looks at internal mental processes but also external situations which affect these internal processes like in a cognitive explanation for depression the event has an effect on the processing (the cognitions) and the outcome (the feelings of depression)??

No, it would still be reductionist because it assumes that its only cognition and faulty thoughts that cause behaviour - still doesnt look at biological factors etc, and yeah you could use sutherland but rememeber that its a theory so there's no actualy evidence
Which A2 studies could be used for the individual differences approach?
How can i use nomothetic and idiographic in a sentence in terms of situational and individual debate??
how do we answer part e questions for section B , to get the full 8marks? (the 'discuss' questions), does anyone have a structure as to how we have to structure it, would we structure it similar to question d?

and any predictions for section A??? or section b??? I have a feeling structured observation will come on for section A ,
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending