The Student Room Group

Self teach A2? Ridiculous idea?

Not relevant any more
(edited 8 years ago)
If you can resist the urge to play computers then yes. Otherwise no. There are many things only your teachers can tell you, and you wouldn't learn just from textbooks. Your teachers know what is needed and what is not for exams, so they set you appropriate work. Generally the students who studies at home are 1.Their parents are well qualified and can teach them full time. 2.They are best students in the country and going to school is just a waste of time.

There's is a reason why most schools want students getting at least 3C's before A2. This is because students getting less than C's generally can't get offers. Good unis would instantly reject you and have to fight for places in poor unis. Redoing a year gives you a better shot getting decent unis and it's worth it
Reply 2
Original post by AndyChow
If you can resist the urge to play computers then yes. Otherwise no. There are many things only your teachers can tell you, and you wouldn't learn just from textbooks. Your teachers know what is needed and what is not for exams, so they set you appropriate work. Generally the students who studies at home are 1.Their parents are well qualified and can teach them full time. 2.They are best students in the country and going to school is just a waste of time.

There's is a reason why most schools want students getting at least 3C's before A2. This is because students getting less than C's generally can't get offers. Good unis would instantly reject you and have to fight for places in poor unis. Redoing a year gives you a better shot getting decent unis and it's worth it

Thanks, my parents would not be able to help me with any of my subjects (as they do not have the related degree, only business degrees) but I would have tutoring. My chemistry teacher hasn't been very good this year, and nor was maths teacher until we got a new one after she left.

I would be supremely organised, I have turned over a new leaf and I'm ahead in class.

So you would not recommend it for the average student?
Original post by slevela
So you would not recommend it for the average student?

Absolutely not. Unless you're of incredible intelligence then no, they're hard enough as it is. Plus, will you make yourself do X amount of hours like your teacher does? What about exam structure that they teach you, or little tips and hints. You'll have to pay more to enter yourself into the exams and you might not even be able to do it as you aren't a registered exam centre.
Reply 4
Original post by jackhaugh
Absolutely not. Unless you're of incredible intelligence then no, they're hard enough as it is. Plus, will you make yourself do X amount of hours like your teacher does? What about exam structure that they teach you, or little tips and hints. You'll have to pay more to enter yourself into the exams and you might not even be able to do it as you aren't a registered exam centre.

I would make myself do those hours because I know this is the last year before university (hopefully) and my future literally depends on my A.2 grades. I was thinking of applying to university after my A.2 grades, rather than just with my A.S.

What do you mean by what they teach us about exam structure? Can that just not be learnt from looking at mark schemes and examiners report?

I'm not worried about being entered into exams, I am worried about whether it will not feasible to self-teach. I would have 10 months to sort out practicals and taking exams and I don't think that would be an issue.
Reply 5
Your college is harsh! We can carry onto A2 so long as we get an E so we are all happy. We have been told that if any of did have such a low mark then we can do A2 and resit AS modules alongside. Like you i have learnt from silly AS mistakes and im way more organised now. I have all my A2 past papers printed and haven taken on tutition throughout the summer. I would check with your coll and see if they can lower your A2 pass marks from a C if your tests, homework and work ethic have been ok and see if they will let you resit some modules alongside your A2.
Reply 6
Original post by mjrd
Your college is harsh! We can carry onto A2 so long as we get an E so we are all happy. We have been told that if any of did have such a low mark then we can do A2 and resit AS modules alongside. Like you i have learnt from silly AS mistakes and im way more organised now. I have all my A2 past papers printed and haven taken on tutition throughout the summer. I would check with your coll and see if they can lower your A2 pass marks from a C if your tests, homework and work ethic have been ok and see if they will let you resit some modules alongside your A2.

It's a shame, because I was predicted A and B grades for A.S, an A for biology, and A for my 4th AS I am dropping - my teacher expects me to get an A or B for maths too. I think they will be shocked at my A.S results.
Reply 7
Original post by slevela
It's a shame, because I was predicted A and B grades for A.S, an A for biology, and A for my 4th AS I am dropping - my teacher expects me to get an A or B for maths too. I think they will be shocked at my A.S results.

Wait and see, you may have done better than you think. I have dyslexia and dyscalculia(cant spell it sorry, maths dyslexia) and im crap at maths, i mist 4 pages out in gcse and i got a C! Never had over an E in any test or exam before. I had practiced like you but too early to get it out of the way, i forgot most of it, hence 4 pages missing, i wasnt diagnosed with dyslexia then so i had no help ect. I had hell of a nice suprise with my C, i still wonder how as i forget math so easily. Maybe you will do better too. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest