Durham
Visit website

Questions on Accounting and Finance course in Queen's campus

Recently I got an offer from Durham for the Accounting and Finance

for the 32 in IB and 5 in math.

Honestly, I never heard of Durham apart from Harry Portter movies :smile:

I looked at it's web page and had some search on the course, and it looks

fine to me. But since some people say about sepaerating school in the future

and saying accounting&finance course is less comepetitive than others.

Is that true?? I also got an offer from leeds which requires slightly higher than

Durham.....

So I really wonder wheather going to durham would be a good idea or not..

thx in advance...
Reply 1
Durham's a leading business school in Europe, 18th according to the FT and 3rd in the UK if you only include those schools which offer undergraduate courses. And with the world's Big 4 accountants visiting the undergraduate accountants with the aim of recruiting them, there has never been a better time to join Durham Business School.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
dhchoi
Recently I got an offer from Durham for the Accounting and Finance

for the 32 in IB and 5 in math.

Honestly, I never heard of Durham apart from Harry Portter movies :smile:

I looked at it's web page and had some search on the course, and it looks

fine to me. But since some people say about sepaerating school in the future

and saying accounting&finance course is less comepetitive than others.

Is that true?? I also got an offer from leeds which requires slightly higher than

Durham.....

So I really wonder wheather going to durham would be a good idea or not..

thx in advance...

Quite often the course is considered less that than the university from which it was gained. Without wishing to sound elitist, durham .vs. leeds...no contest :p:.

I think it depends on what you want to go into upon completion.
Reply 3
I want to work in the bank in the future as a private banker..

so i wonder if it would be good idea (asking to durham's student :smile:)

accomodation in Queen's i like, still i wish i should've put stevo not open!

A question how many Durham graduates work banking industry?

alot? or....

thanks for the reaplies though..
Reply 4
Quite a few. Much of the information is kept private. Certainly finance in general is popular. Many go for investment banks, fund managers, hedge funds, insurance and of course accountancy. I don't know anyone who has worked for a private bank though I'm sure there was a few over recent years.
Reply 5
thnks really I 80% going to durham :biggrin:
Reply 6
so u noe i was reading all the thread about queen's campus, and it looks

like people think accounting and finance degree is useless! told by some

DURHAM CITY people, so would it be worth to go there? i mean i like the

course (finance intensive) and accomodation, dunno about the city though..

so im just waitting my teacher's contact, eventually he lived somewhere there

can anybody plz say me reasons why durham people so HATE Queen's campus

???? even medicine ppl in the campus don like other people!

well thnks in advance
huh medicine people dont like other people?? I like other people.
Please dont start the queens vs main campus debate.
Ì think its down to preference. I like queens campus been here nearly 5 years. What do u need to know??
Reply 8
I really don care about the city itself, just wondering about the quality as

people worry alot about bussiness courses in Queen's campus....

tht'a all I need to know...
dhchoi
I really don care about the city itself, just wondering about the quality as

people worry alot about bussiness courses in Queen's campus....

tht'a all I need to know...

to be fair its hard to judge, as the vast majority of people have only studied at 1 uni, so have nothing to compare our course with.

what i will say on the course is that you have to have a lot of self-motivation and application, as one of the business departments failings (in my opinion) is that it can be very withdrawn from the students, and sometimes parts of topics arn't taught in lectures, you have to read the recommended reading.

also our department don't set a great deal of assignments due to the sheer volume of work they would have to mark (there are around 300 students in each year on the Business courses) and this can be detrimental to students, as you don't know how badly or well you are doing for quite some time.

but as i said, that may be true of almost all universities and not just Durham. I just found it a shock mid way term 1 (perhaps naively) that topics were being mentioned and given to us in assignments that hadn't been in the lectures.

also there was a problem last year in the year1 accounting module, that only 1 lecturer was teaching all of the lectures and the seminars, and i always feel that only having 1 teacher giving you input is a bad idea, as some people don't learn from certain lecturers but do others. However i believe there is another member of staff helping out with year1 accounting now, so this problem has been rectified.

so as i said, the teaching is ok, but i would say there is a lot of room for improvement, but again its hard to judge, as ive only been taught at one uni.
Reply 10
Rooftopcowboy
to be fair its hard to judge, as the vast majority of people have only studied at 1 uni, so have nothing to compare our course with.

what i will say on the course is that you have to have a lot of self-motivation and application, as one of the business departments failings (in my opinion) is that it can be very withdrawn from the students, and sometimes parts of topics arn't taught in lectures, you have to read the recommended reading.

also our department don't set a great deal of assignments due to the sheer volume of work they would have to mark (there are around 300 students in each year on the Business courses) and this can be detrimental to students, as you don't know how badly or well you are doing for quite some time.

but as i said, that may be true of almost all universities and not just Durham. I just found it a shock mid way term 1 (perhaps naively) that topics were being mentioned and given to us in assignments that hadn't been in the lectures.

also there was a problem last year in the year1 accounting module, that only 1 lecturer was teaching all of the lectures and the seminars, and i always feel that only having 1 teacher giving you input is a bad idea, as some people don't learn from certain lecturers but do others. However i believe there is another member of staff helping out with year1 accounting now, so this problem has been rectified.

so as i said, the teaching is ok, but i would say there is a lot of room for improvement, but again its hard to judge, as ive only been taught at one uni.

thnks for honest answer your reply really helped, but i dunno about other courses but for me, it's only 2 or 3 points of difference to go to main campus in durham but looks like people are so posh (looking at this forum), and RAE is higher in finance not in economics... so yea

thankyou alot Rooftopcowboy,

p.s just one more question, do u noe annyone who has worked or is working in private bank industry??
Reply 11
Acc&Fin is a good degree.. Whoever thinks it isn't, should suck a large penis!
Reply 12
dhchoi
main campus in durham but looks like people are so posh (looking at this forum),

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
That is all.
Reply 13
Kev is well known for being dead posh right.

Latest