The Student Room Group

Which university should I choose?

I have an interest in accounting, finance, investment and management. I am confused as to which university should I choose?
The University of Manchester Manchester
University of Liverpool
Lancaster University
Cranfield University
Queen Mary University London
University of Strathclyde

I am from India, coming from a middle class family. Although, The University of Manchester Manchester is a highly ranked university but it is really expensive. Unfortunately, even though it is my dream university, I don't think I would be able to afford it. Likewise, with Queen Mary University London, as it is located in London, the cost of living and other expense should increase. Due to this major disadvantage, I am thinking of not considering it. Maybe there is are advantages, I would be able to stay in London and understand the market demand and my job opportunities would be or a higher side. As Lancaster is a good university I am planning to consider Lancaster, but I heard that the students from Lancaster as finding it really difficult to find jobs. But again, I think this might be the case for almost all universities.(Not sure though). Where as, for University of Liverpool, I have received a scholarship but the university is not highly ranked and there are mixed opinions about the university.
Therefore, I am really confused as to which university to chose based on the course, ranking, job opportunities, safety, rate of employment for the chosen course, the demand for the chosen course, the return on investment, the quality of education and possible future prospects after I finish the course.
Considering all these factors which university would be a best*fit*for*me?
Original post by chitra0014
I have an interest in accounting, finance, investment and management. I am confused as to which university should I choose?
University of Liverpool
Lancaster University
Cranfield University

I am from India, coming from a middle class family. Although, The University of Manchester Manchester is a highly ranked university but it is really expensive. Unfortunately, even though it is my dream university, I don't think I would be able to afford it. Likewise, with Queen Mary University London, as it is located in London, the cost of living and other expense should increase. Due to this major disadvantage, I am thinking of not considering it. Maybe there is are advantages, I would be able to stay in London and understand the market demand and my job opportunities would be or a higher side. As Lancaster is a good university I am planning to consider Lancaster, but I heard that the students from Lancaster as finding it really difficult to find jobs. But again, I think this might be the case for almost all universities.(Not sure though). Where as, for University of Liverpool, I have received a scholarship but the university is not highly ranked and there are mixed opinions about the university.
Therefore, I am really confused as to which university to chose based on the course, ranking, job opportunities, safety, rate of employment for the chosen course, the demand for the chosen course, the return on investment, the quality of education and possible future prospects after I finish the course.

Hi @chitra0014

I’m really glad that you are considering Cranfield for your studies! I will leave some info below that might help inform your decision. Since this is a very personal choice, and what is a ‘pro’ for one person may be a ‘con’ for another, I will do my best to give you an idea about what Cranfield has been like for me. I can’t cover every area, so I will try to give as much info as possible (without being overwhelming) but feel free to ask any follow-up or additional questions either here or on the Cranfield TSR page (linked below).
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1398

First, you mentioned rankings and reputation. Since Cranfield is postgraduate-only, and most rankings are based on undergraduate performance, Cranfield often does not appear. However, the rankings we do appear in are much more reflective of what you will experience during your course, as rather than being based on an unrelated undergraduate course they are often course- or school-specific. Your interests would likely place you in the School of Management, which offers courses like Finance MSc, Accounting and Finance MSc, and Management MSc. You can find a lot of info about the rankings here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/about-us/rankings
There are other metrics to measure reputation by as well, including rankings. The school is triple accredited by: AACSB International (the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (the Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System of the European Foundation for Management Development).
Cranfield also holds strong relationships with major employers, with many courses being informed by industry advisory panels composed of high-ranking international representatives from industries, to ensure both that as a Cranfield graduate you are fully prepared for the next steps in your career and that employers can be sure of the quality of the education provided here.

Cost of living is a major factor for many students right now. Cranfield is more rural, and therefore not quite as bad as some central locations (like London) for things like renting prices. Cranfield has a really helpful estimate of the cost of living for different circumstances, like families, couples, and single people, as well as what you might expect to spend in each category (e.g. food, leisure, rent). Check it out here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/why-cranfield-school-of-management/life-at-cranfield/living-expenses
Scholarships are another great way to reduce the cost of your course, and some even cover a portion of living expenses. Which you are eligible for will depend on many factors, including which course you choose, so I will leave the link to our funding finder below for you to have a look through. Just put in your personal details to help narrow down the search, as there are lots of opportunities!
https://search.cranfield.ac.uk/s/search.html?collection=cranfield-meta&f.Tabs%7Ccranfield-funding=Funding&_ga=2.21913339.1512100243.1684497651-823192391.1643980778&_gac=1.227741295.1684497780.CjwKCAjwvJyjBhApEiwAWz2nLXER2tYkfzTQaysT7Kav18GIi-eSLfgTCn7MTcRRUWruDHuhcViU_BoC1_cQAvD_BwE

As I said, I am happy to share more information about any details about Cranfield (e.g. what is it like to live here, details about the course content, what Cranfield students like to do for fun). You can also contact other current students via our website here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/ambassador-chat
You can choose to speak to someone also from India, or someone in the School of Management (maybe on one of the courses you’re interested in), or anyone else. Just filter the results as needed!

Best of luck with your decision 😊
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Original post by chitra0014
University of Liverpool
Lancaster University
Cranfield University

Hi @chitra0014!

I'm currently a third year student at Lancaster, and whilst I'm not doing any of those subjects, and so can't offer any insight into studying those here at Lancaster, I can tell you what my experience at Lancaster has been like in general, and give some general advice in relation to deciding between universities.

The campus here is amazing, and was one of the initial things that drew me to the university. It has plenty of green spaces, and the buildings, both accommodation and general buildings, are modern and have great facilities. The library in particular is one of my favourite buildings on campus - it has three floors, each for different sound levels, i.e., first floor can be used for group work/more casual, second floor is quiet study, and third floor is silent study. It also has a range of seating types and rooms, so there's always something to fit what you are going for.

The support services here are also really good. There are a wide range of services and people that you can speak to, no matter what the problem is, and I have always felt supported and like a part of the community. There is also a great range of things that you can get involved in, i.e., societies, sports clubs, etc., no matter what your interests are.

In terms of just generally picking a university - my best piece of advice is to go with your gut. Each of the universities you have mentioned are great universities, and have differences and similarities with one another. If you feel like you like all of the courses equally and are still having a hard time choosing, if you can, I would definitely recommend visiting the universities, or even attending an online open day if you're unable to visit in person. Getting to personally experience the campus, and getting to look around the cities themselves is always really helpful to gauge whether or not you can see yourself studying there.

Best of luck with making a decision!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending