The Student Room Group

The most well written books you've read?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Captain Jack
Margaret Atwood, Daphne du Maurier, David Mitchell.

The Bone People by Keri Hulme is one of the most beautifully written and unique style books I've read.

I kinda enjoy Salman Rushdie's style but I always come away thinking it's a load of gobbledygook that's trying to be too clever for it's own good, going full circle into nonsense.

Some of the worst writing are the classics like Les Miserables, Shakespear, Moby Dick and the Odyssey. You have to remember that they are quite primitive texts and set your mind back to when they were written to enjoy them...

Lol are you serious

I won't comment on Moby Dick or Les Mis but Shakespeare and Homer are not overrated, sure they might not be to our aesthetic sensibilities but their use of language is undeniably rich

Shout out to all the Russian writer lovers here!
Reply 41
The Brothers Karamazov
Original post by whorace
Lol are you serious

I won't comment on Moby Dick or Les Mis but Shakespeare and Homer are not overrated, sure they might not be to our aesthetic sensibilities but their use of language is undeniably rich

Shout out to all the Russian writer lovers here!

I am, sorry! :biggrin: It is very rich in language and obviously written by someone of great talent, but they are a chore to read. In particular, Homer. I love writing and reading, and I do like Shakespeare. Homer however was one of the books I really regretted starting (I never stop reading a book). Shakespeare's stories and writing I like, but in this day, it just isn't as enjoyable a read as contemporary works. In my mind, I can admire something for what it is, but it can date as well.

It stands to reason, talents improve over time learning from our predecessors. Writing today will be better than that of the past. Not necessarily the imagination and stories of course, that's timeless.

Les Mis is my least favourite book of all time. I persevered. For different reasons though. The story sections are incredible. The historic sections interspersed were like wading through mud.
(edited 8 years ago)
Perhaps controversially, I actually thought 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed was incredibly well written. I bought it for light summer reading, but was surprised by how well written it was and the extensive use of language involved.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Perhaps controversially, I actually thought 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed was incredibly well written. I bought it for light summer reading, but was surprised by how well written it was and the extensive use of language involved.

get a life
Original post by Johnny Wishbone
What are some of the most well written books you've read? In terms of having a great writing style and really good use of vocabulary?

Lawrence Durrell: Prospero's Cell

Patrick Leigh Fermor: A Time of Gifts
I seriously enjoyed Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. The imagery in that was incredible
Reply 47
Original post by Use Err Name
I seriously enjoyed Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. The imagery in that was incredible

All the Brontë sisters were geniuses. Their works are amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Johnny Wishbone
What are some of the most well written books you've read? In terms of having a great writing style and really good use of vocabulary?

Most books by Tess Gerritsen and James Patterson

I also personally found that The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova was a cracking read

That being said, The Odyssey actually made me cry.
Anything Jack Keroauc ever wrote
Reply 50
I read a book recently called the thirteenth tale. I forget who wrote it, but it is amazing. The plot is well written and very unique, the characters are well developed, it's personal without being sentimental, and is just amazing.

It switches between two stories, that are radically different, but are very interrelated as you find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oranges are not the only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson is fantastic. It's really satisfying as well if you read 'Why be happy, when you could be normal' along side it, also by Winterson. Her writing is exquisite.
Also Angela Carter's 'The Bloody Chamber' is mindblowing
Atonement - Ian McEwan
Margaret Atwood, Daphne du Maurier, David Mitchell, George Orwell. Dune is great. Iain Banks has many books that are of excellent quality. Tracey Chevalier.

The Bone People by Keri Hulme is one of the most beautifully written and unique style books I've read.

I kinda enjoy Salman Rushdie's style but I always come away thinking it's a load of gobbledygook that's trying to be too clever for it's own good, going full circle into nonsense.

Headlong by Michael Frayn is one of my favourites.

Some of the worst writing are the classics like Les Miserables, Shakespear, Moby Dick and the Odyssey. You have to remember that they are quite primitive texts and set your mind back to when they were written to enjoy them...

You've read odyssey in Greek? And how the **** is Shakespeare or moby dick badly written and primitive. Wtf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even though English was like his fifth language, Nabokov's Lolita is the most well written book that I have ever read
Original post by cattubato
You've read odyssey in Greek? And how the **** is Shakespeare or moby dick badly written and primitive. Wtf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not in Greek.

They are written in old language, so by today's standards they are primitive. At the time, they were advanced.

I'm not saying they aren't beautifully written. But they would have been even better at the time. Whereas they are now sitting next to books written with hundreds of years of teaching and additional learning and refinement in story telling. That's what I mean.

This is exaggerated but it's the same with art, cave paintings eventually became the paintings we see created today. Things move on, learning from what came before.
Margaret Atwood is my life.
No not in Greek.

They are written in old language, so by today's standards they are primitive. At the time, they were advanced.

I'm not saying they aren't beautifully written. But they would have been even better at the time. Whereas they are now sitting next to books written with hundreds of years of teaching and additional learning and refinement in story telling. That's what I mean.

This is exaggerated but it's the same with art, cave paintings eventually became the paintings we see created today. Things move on, learning from what came before.

If you haven't read the Odyssey how do you know how well it's written? What translation did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drriversong
Even though English was like his fifth language, Nabokov's Lolita is the most well written book that I have ever read

He spoke English about the same time he started speaking Russian. He's just multi-lingual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Although it doesn't approach my favourites, the most well-written book I've read is probably The Picture of Dorian Gray. The conversations in that book are tremendously provoking, and you can almost pick any sentence that comes out of Lord Henry's mouth and think about it for a week.

This has to be the most controversial thing I've ever seen you write. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending