The Student Room Group

Interview tutoring

Is it worth it to do interview tutoring for Oxford law if I don’t even know I’ll get an invitation to an interview or not?
I wouldn't bother, especially if you would be paying for the tutoring. Oxford interviews aren't really something you can study/practice for (apart from developing confidence) as they want to see how you think and you will send reading material that you've never seen before about a week before your interview. My school set up a mock interview for me which was a guy quizzing me on my personal statement and was nothing like the real thing. Example questions I was asked in my interviews (for law) were "what is your favourite non-academic book and how has that influenced how you see the world?" and "what is your most controversial view?". I spent a solid 5 minutes of my 20 minute law interview discussing Stephen King lol. Instead of paying for a tutor just get people you know to ask you fairly abstract questions and see if you can prepare answers to them that bring in the subject you want to study.
Original post by Username123ab
I wouldn't bother, especially if you would be paying for the tutoring. Oxford interviews aren't really something you can study/practice for (apart from developing confidence) as they want to see how you think and you will send reading material that you've never seen before about a week before your interview. My school set up a mock interview for me which was a guy quizzing me on my personal statement and was nothing like the real thing. Example questions I was asked in my interviews (for law) were "what is your favourite non-academic book and how has that influenced how you see the world?" and "what is your most controversial view?". I spent a solid 5 minutes of my 20 minute law interview discussing Stephen King lol. Instead of paying for a tutor just get people you know to ask you fairly abstract questions and see if you can prepare answers to them that bring in the subject you want to study.

Had you written about Stephen king previously. I’m worried that I may be asked about authors of books in my personal statement, which I don’t know much about bar the book I read.
Original post by citystudent41212
Had you written about Stephen king previously. I’m worried that I may be asked about authors of books in my personal statement, which I don’t know much about bar the book I read.

No, I had only written about academic/law related books I'd read on my personal statement and I wasn't expecting the question about what I like to read for fun so I just said the first thing that came to mind. They aren't going to quiz you on the author's, if they ask about the books in your personal statement at all they'll most likely just ask why you are interested in the topic of the book

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending