The Student Room Group

Sussex Chancellor's Masters Scholarship - Insights anyone?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here is planning on, or has any experience in applying for the Sussex Uni Chancellor's Masters Scholarship? (or even similar)

I know I'm eligible since I've been paying £9000 fees for 3 years & got a First in my undergrad degree - but there seems to be relatively little online info about how they then choose the 100 recipients since it's competitive even once you're eligible. Given that its a £10,000 (!) scholarship - which would make an enormous difference to me & my family - and I know im eligible - I definitely want to put in a good application! In fact, it feels a bit weird that there's no stats openly available about how competitive it is etc., it's so different from applying as an undergrad to universities!

Anyway, this is the online link to info: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/money/scholarships/pgt2015/view/398

Obviously they're looking for academic excellence, but there's also a personal statement & I'm wondering what kind of things they might be looking for, and what spin to put on it?

Thanks!

P.S - I've got an offer for MA Environment, Development & Policy so if there's any other Global Studies school people out there, hi!
Reply 1
Hi Livvy,

I just stumbled upon this thread by accident, but I am actually a recipient of the Chancellor's Scholarship for PhD students so I might be able to give you a bit of advice. For my application, I had to include a well-referenced research proposal, and I spent an appreciable amount of time working on that (I think it was about 30 references and about 10 pages long). My 'personal statement' section was more intended to be a project summary, while looking at your application, yours seems to be more general. This could either be a pro or a con, depending how much you like selling yourself on paper! If you DO have an idea of what your final project/specific area of research is going to be in your Master's course, I would absolutely try to work that in there if I was you. Just try to think of it in these terms - if the University is going to potentially give you money, try to convince them that your work is going to somehow give them a return on their investment. We're working in radically different subjects (I'm chemistry) so I'm not sure I can get much more specific, but try to come up with a problem that is appealing/interesting and then address how you personally are going to investigate/solve it. That's basically what I did, and obviously it worked out. Oh, and if there's any way that your work could potentially result in any kind of publication, mention that - this is the kind of stuff that makes the University look better, and in turn makes you look more appealing as a candidate. Additionally, my scholarship only had 10 recipients, so if yours has 100, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting it (not to get your hopes up too much, I have no idea how many people apply). Lastly, don't be afraid to ask your future professor/advisor for help; mine helped me a lot. I hope I didn't just confuse you even more... Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
And Sussex is one of the BEST Unis in the world for anything to do with Development.

Sussex is a fantastic Uni - great location on a greenfield site, in a seaside town, and close to London. Great shopping, pubs/clubs, music. And ferries to France / close to Gatwick. Whats not to like?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending